Magnification for 200m Target Shooting?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Magnification for 200m Target Shooting?

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 6:44 pm

Well I ordered an el-cheapo tasco spotting scope 20-60x60. I’ll see how it goes to fulfil my needs. Have seen some good reviews considering the price and the purpose of being used at a range. I too have other hobbies and mouths to feed so if I can make it work on a tight budget, I don’t see anything wrong with that. To me it seems obvious that you would be paying a premium to get the optics of something much larger to fit within the size of a rifle scope. For example how much would I have to spend on a rifle scope to get a magnification of 60x? Or how much would I need to spend on a rifle scope to allow me to see holes in paper at 300m? I bet more than $200. I know this won’t be practical for everyone, but I’ll see how it goes. It may provide an option for those starting out with a limited budget like me who can’t afford $1,500 + scopes, but can afford $350 to $400 for a combination of a cheap rifle scope and spotter.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Jun 2021, 7:45 pm

How about putting some page breaks or whatever into your replies... Gee it makes it hard to comment so ..

I can tell you are not a Target Shooter.

Take the information posted here and go try a 200 m/y shoot.

You need to see your aiming point, say 5mm diameter or less like maybe 1mm and see what you can achieve.. NOT.. in full comp...

At 200m think of shooting less than 2" 5 shot groups and at times a 1" group.. Even a factory rifle... That's good shooting.

It's not that hard with good equipment, the plus is that shooting say 200m Rimfire is practise for longer range Centrefire,

Just enjoy what you are doing.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 8:22 pm

Apollo wrote:How about putting some page breaks or whatever into your replies... Gee it makes it hard to comment so ..

I can tell you are not a Target Shooter.

Take the information posted here and go try a 200 m/y shoot.

You need to see your aiming point, say 5mm diameter or less like maybe 1mm and see what you can achieve.. NOT.. in full comp...

At 200m think of shooting less than 2" 5 shot groups and at times a 1" group.. Even a factory rifle... That's good shooting.

It's not that hard with good equipment, the plus is that shooting say 200m Rimfire is practise for longer range Centrefire,

Just enjoy what you are doing.

To put things into perspective, my experience with shooting is I think 6 or 7 visits to a range over the last year. Other than using an air rifle a couple of times as a kid, that is my only experience.

I’ve been able to get groups within an inch or less with my 22 at 50m. I have been once to the hilltop range with my new 223 and was sighting in my scope. I started at 50m, then 100m and finally 200m. I went through 70 rounds using 3 different types of ammo. Had a bit of trouble sighting in at first but then had it around an inch at 50m.

The issue came at 200m where I switched ammo and couldn’t see where I was hitting properly until I collected my target.

It was my first time with a centrefire, first time with new rifle and new scope, but I concluded that I need to know where my bullets are going if I’m to improve my groups. There’s probably a 4” spread of holes within the black section of the target however, I used different ammo so hard to tell what’s what, hence the idea to get a spotting scope.

Hope my use of paragraphs helps.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Medb » 30 Jun 2021, 11:59 pm

I hope what you bought works out for you, my experience with the cheap spotters hasn't been that great.

For reference I own a bunch of high quality expensive glass in the 5-20, 5-25, & 7-35 magnification ranges. Don't have any of the huge magnification comp scopes as I don't shoot anything that utilizes those. I have also looked through a couple and briefly owned one of those $300 spotters.

It will probably be sufficient for 200m, but I wouldn't expect much more from it. It may have 60x magnification but if you crank it up that high you will lose all the detail and the image will just be a blurry mess, it's usable level of magnification where sufficient details is preserved will be much lower.

At 200m you can make out hits infinitely easier with the crystal clear 5-25 vs a $300 20-60 spotter, but it's pointless to compare it vs something that costs more than 10x as much.

Just make the best of what you can afford.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 01 Jul 2021, 6:10 am

Medb wrote:I hope what you bought works out for you, my experience with the cheap spotters hasn't been that great.

For reference I own a bunch of high quality expensive glass in the 5-20, 5-25, & 7-35 magnification ranges. Don't have any of the huge magnification comp scopes as I don't shoot anything that utilizes those. I have also looked through a couple and briefly owned one of those $300 spotters.

It will probably be sufficient for 200m, but I wouldn't expect much more from it. It may have 60x magnification but if you crank it up that high you will lose all the detail and the image will just be a blurry mess, it's usable level of magnification where sufficient details is preserved will be much lower.

At 200m you can make out hits infinitely easier with the crystal clear 5-25 vs a $300 20-60 spotter, but it's pointless to compare it vs something that costs more than 10x as much.

Just make the best of what you can afford.

Yep thanks medb. I realise it will have its limitations. Even if it’s clear at only 30 or 40x, it will still provide some assistance over and above what I already have.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Jul 2021, 7:30 pm

You see guys selling Nightforce 8 to 32x BR scopes and 12 to 42x for $1,000 to $1,500. Could you save up a grand and buy one of those. That would fix all of your magnification issues and as you said, you learn a lot more if you can see where your rounds are landing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Jul 2021, 7:35 pm

Bit like cheaping out and getting an LS1 when for a little more you could get an LS3.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 01 Jul 2021, 7:38 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You see guys selling Nightforce 8 to 32x BR scopes and 12 to 42x for $1,000 to $1,500. Could you save up a grand and buy one of those. That would fix all of your magnification issues and as you said, you learn a lot more if you can see where your rounds are landing.

Maybe eventually I’ll do that. Will just have to see how far into this I get.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 01 Jul 2021, 7:40 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Bit like cheaping out and getting an LS1 when for a little more you could get an LS3.

tried buying an LS3 lately? you'd be very surprised.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Lsfan » 01 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Bit like cheaping out and getting an LS1 when for a little more you could get an LS3.

A little more? Ls1’s are everywhere and in everything. I’d happily have an LS1 in a little 3 series BMW. I have an LS2 which I’m happy enough with. Trying to preserve it while the Holden’s escalate in value!

I’ve often wondered about buying second hand optics or even rifles. Why are they being sold if they are so good?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 01 Jul 2021, 8:04 pm

Lsfan wrote:

A little more? Ls1’s are everywhere and in everything. I’d happily have an LS1 in a little 3 series BMW. I have an LS2 which I’m happy enough with. Trying to preserve it while the Holden’s escalate in value!

I’ve often wondered about buying second hand optics or even rifles. Why are they being sold if they are so good?

Coz people change their minds like their undies and companies are great at advertising...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lsfan » 01 Jul 2021, 8:15 pm

bigpete wrote:
Lsfan wrote:

Coz people change their minds like their undies and companies are great at advertising...

But I mean say I buy a scope on ozgun sales or ssaa from interstate and find that it has been dropped, glass is scratched or something. Could be a $1,000 down the drain. That could be a reason someone is selling it.
I’ve been stung on gumtree before. It’s amazing how people can describe something in “as new” condition and yet send it with scratches on it. As new means as it left the factory.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Jul 2021, 9:09 pm

If you want something enough you will have up for it, if you like the cheap option like the $300 scope or $3,000 motor. Then go with that. If you can save up for the better option like the $1,000 scope or the $10,000 motor go with that. You will find you are better served by spending more at the outset.

I have a couple of LS3s in the shed, so yes I know what they cost to buy and build. Would you recommend an LS1 as the basis of an engine build over a LS3?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 01 Jul 2021, 9:16 pm

SCJ429 wrote:If you want something enough you will have up for it, if you like the cheap option like the $300 scope or $3,000 motor. Then go with that. If you can save up for the better option like the $1,000 scope or the $10,000 motor go with that. You will find you are better served by spending more at the outset.

I have a couple of LS3s in the shed, so yes I know what they cost to buy and build. Would you recommend an LS1 as the basis of an engine build over a LS3?

well what is the application? there is such a thing as too much engine, and thats coming from someone who does track cars, I have gone euro now but in the past I had a VX with a boosted LS2, it was too much engine for the purpose of the car.

getting off topic here, but yeah, in any case, If ya just throwing lead around buy a modestly priced scope, if bench rest or prone shooting out to serious distance go get a leupold or nightforce or something.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Lsfan » 01 Jul 2021, 9:27 pm

Yes, many analogies can be made. I can’t see a need for an ls of any kind If I’m driving 20kms to and from work each day in 60km speed zones. I’m just using more fuel without being able to exploit the potential.

I’m a beginner at shooting just trying to find my feet. I’m not that hard up that I can’t spend $1000 or more on a scope, I just choose not to.
Everything I have is budget minded or no frills. My howa cost $600 new and I may never shoot beyond 200m at a range. I can’t justify spending so much on a scope at the moment. If I really get into the sport, then I’ll probably start talking like the rest of you and trade up to German quality stuff.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics