Nightforce 56mm on Tikka T3X

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Nightforce 56mm on Tikka T3X

Post by Yes » 20 Jun 2021, 1:13 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used the Tikka scope rings on a T3X with a 56mm scope? If so, I was hoping someone could confirm the height required (to clear bell and cocking lever)?

If you have experience with any other rings on the T3X with a 56mm scope, happy to hear about it... Although, not looking to add a pic rail and use pic rings.

Thanks!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Nightforce 56mm on Tikka T3X

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Jun 2021, 9:06 pm

I have a 12 to 42x Nightforce on a Tikka Supervarmint but it uses the factory picatinny rail. Why don't you want to use a rail?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 21 Jun 2021, 10:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have a 12 to 42x Nightforce on a Tikka Supervarmint but it uses the factory picatinny rail. Why don't you want to use a rail?

TBH I am a little anti-rail when I can do what I am attempting without it. I feel it is just an added component between the scope and the gun that isn't needed?

With that said, I'll need a 20moa rail for the 22lr build I am doing - going to go long with it for laugh, and in that instance I'm not anti-rail at all.

But with the 223, I should be fine for those longer distances with dialling out the Nightforce mounted directly to the receiver. On the wood Tikka with the stainless barrel, I also think a rail looks a little daft. They tend to be quite 'tacticool'.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 22 Jun 2021, 8:27 am

Yes
I agree it seems a little stupid to stack one rail on top of another rail unless there is no other way of achieving the outcome you want.
Dovetailed receivers on centerfire rifles are a very secure and reliable way of mounting scopes and are superior to a screwed on mount base.
I know Hillver once made QD rings in various sizes to suit a variety of dovetailed receivers and scope heights.
You might find what is needed on ebay or one of the multitude of gun selling sites or even try Premium Optics.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 22 Jun 2021, 3:18 pm

Hey Straightshooter,

Yep - that was my original thought; I know some like the look of the rail, and that is what's great about the hobby, each to their own!

I am looking at the Tikka rings, direct mount to the rifle, good quality and fair price: I just don't know if I need medium, large, XL!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics