Leupold 1 PC base

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Leupold 1 PC base

Post by pomemax » 30 Jun 2021, 9:43 pm

Last week I picked up a Marlin 1895 45/70 from Hpgs for a good price
I bought a Leupold Base (rifleman 1 Pc base )
When i was fitting the base the screws would not Tighten up the base was lose as everything looked right but it took 3 shims under the base to get even near to tight
Not happy at all so I ordered another Base from evil bay .
It arrived yesterday so I took the screws from the second base tried them in the first same lose as , ok removed the first base fitted the second with the second set of screws all as tight as .
Out with the verniers started measuring First rail was countersunk about 1.7 mm deeper in to the rail making the screws too long the countersunk part of the screw was hitting down on the top of the receiver . Same numbers on the packaging and same numbers stamped on the rail itself .
No ones seems to be doing quality control anymore . Just something to look out for now

When i was looking on the web at Marlins Manuals , I Noticed they were saying that Remington had gone into receivership and Ruger had bought them out so Marlin was now owned by Ruger when did all this happen.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: Leupold 1 PC base

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2021, 10:01 pm

Chances are that Leupold gear is now made in Mr Chinamans backyard.
That would explain a lot if what I suspect is correct.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Quality Control ????? What's that ???? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jul 2021, 7:43 am

Opinion Warning

When i was looking on the web at Marlins Manuals , I Noticed they were saying that Remington had gone into receivership and Ruger had bought them out so Marlin was now owned by Ruger when did all this happen.

More likely the capital investment company that owns Ruger now also owns Remington and Marlin.
It will make all the pre-remlins all the more attractive unless there is a big turn-around in workmanship and quality.
As for Leupold mounts, they are simply a regurgitation of the Redfield system which relies on a single tiny dovetail for all recoil resistance. Tolerable for a modest weight scope and relatively few shots per year but put one of the currently fashionable massive scopes in these mounts and say hello to mysterious accuracy and zero issues.
edit
Nicely illustrates the trap of buying by brand name and advertising hype or these days due to internet influencers.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 01 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Chances are that Leupold gear is now made in Mr Chinamans backyard.
That would explain a lot if what I suspect is correct.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Quality Control ????? What's that ???? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Yes look at the packaging Made IN Singapore
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 01 Jul 2021, 6:49 pm

As far as the quality and finish, I couldn't be happier with my Remington-Marlin 1895GBL. Bloody nice rifle.

With Leupold, yeah, not surprised. I think a lot of their bases and entry level gear is now Chinese.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by pomemax » 01 Jul 2021, 7:17 pm

boingk wrote:As far as the quality and finish, I couldn't be happier with my Remington-Marlin 1895GBL. Bloody nice rifle.

With Leupold, yeah, not surprised. I think a lot of their bases and entry level gear is now Chinese.
yer they seem to have got away from remilns eh
I have a 336 30 /30 so i thought 45/70 why not have not fired it yet your 's have a preference for any type of ammo.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 02 Jul 2021, 11:59 pm

pomemax wrote:yer they seem to have got away from remilns eh
I have a 336 30 /30 so i thought 45/70 why not have not fired it yet your 's have a preference for any type of ammo.

Not really. Shot reasonably well with PPU and Federal, didn't bother with anything else as started handloading.

PPU is a soft load, 1400fps or so. Federal goes a bit harder, 1800fps from memory. Both decent loads, fairly sure they were both 300gn projectiles.

Handloading I went with Blackwidow 400's and couldn't be happier. 13 of Trailboss for a 1000fps subsonic, or 46gn of 2207 for more like 1800. You definitely know you're letting one of those ones off, about 2900ftlb of muzzle energy. Ended up getting 0.9" @ 100m with the Trailboss load so can't complain too much there either.

- boingk

EDIT: Saw you had the 30-30. Try the PPU, again a moderate load. The Winchester I have used is a hot one, I'd buy a box of both and see what it likes.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Bugman » 03 Jul 2021, 8:29 am

I am afraid that I have steered away from some of the Leupold stuff, and gone to MDT (Canada) and Talley (USA).
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 03 Jul 2021, 10:09 am

pomemax wrote:Last week I picked up a Marlin 1895 45/70 from Hpgs for a good price
I bought a Leupold Base (rifleman 1 Pc base )
When i was fitting the base the screws would not Tighten up the base was lose as everything looked right but it took 3 shims under the base to get even near to tight
Not happy at all so I ordered another Base from evil bay .
It arrived yesterday so I took the screws from the second base tried them in the first same lose as , ok removed the first base fitted the second with the second set of screws all as tight as .
Out with the verniers started measuring First rail was countersunk about 1.7 mm deeper in to the rail making the screws too long the countersunk part of the screw was hitting down on the top of the receiver . Same numbers on the packaging and same numbers stamped on the rail itself .
No ones seems to be doing quality control anymore . Just something to look out for now

I had just the same rifle and mount and it all lined up and tightened down just fine. Sounds like a QC issue, which is a pain. Chinese made gear is getting better, but you still get what you pay for. Cheap Chinese junk is still junk, more expensive Chinese gear seems to be better... But I'm noticing a theme with QC all around these days. A few big brands having some issues in that regard. That's the shame too, QC shouldn't need to be complicated or difficult to do well.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 03 Jul 2021, 10:36 pm

Yer Boingk I bought 350gr Black widow pill just to try them out when I start reloading them have heaps of 2207 will let you Know when I Have tried them
I already have a good load for the 30 -30.
yes i may steer away from it in the future Tally rail with the conversion to Au$ was only$12 more if you can find a dealer In Aust
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2021, 9:03 pm

InisBineest wrote:
I had just the same rifle and mount and it all lined up and tightened down just fine. Sounds like a QC issue, which is a pain. Chinese made gear is getting better, but you still get what you pay for. Cheap Chinese junk is still junk, more expensive Chinese gear seems to be better... But I'm noticing a theme with QC all around these days. A few big brands having some issues in that regard. That's the shame too, QC shouldn't need to be complicated or difficult to do well.

"QC shouldn't need to be complicated or difficult to do well"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Therein lies the difficulty,,
From what I can ascertain/deduce,,,,, so much of this "cheap chinese" crap is sourced from so many back yard industries in China, it's ridiculous. Say for instance,, you buy a Leupold branded and packaged piccatinny rail or base and rings.
a) the pic rail is made in one backyard
b) painted in another,
c) the screws are made in yet another (and usually of dubious quality metal/thread/diameter/and length)
d) the rings could be made in yet another,

Thus you have no uniformity at all let alone quality control.
Yet again,,,,, any one of these backyard industries for whatever reasoning can source their materials/ parts from differing other back yard industries
from one week or month to another.

End result = Cheap chinese junk, zero QC, zero referencing, zero accountability, and zero after sales service that really accounts for anything.
And, don't ever forget, they are getting richer every day just doing it

This is why when you order a lot of this stuff there is usually a notation attached saying that it may take several weeks for your order to reach a proper mailing service before your item even gets to Australia.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 04 Jul 2021, 10:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:"QC shouldn't need to be complicated or difficult to do well"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Therein lies the difficulty,,
From what I can ascertain/deduce,,,,, so much of this "cheap chinese" crap is sourced from so many back yard industries in China, it's ridiculous. Say for instance,, you buy a Leupold branded and packaged piccatinny rail or base and rings.
a) the pic rail is made in one backyard
b) painted in another,
c) the screws are made in yet another (and usually of dubious quality metal/thread/diameter/and length)
d) the rings could be made in yet another,

Thus you have no uniformity at all let alone quality control.
Yet again,,,,, any one of these backyard industries for whatever reasoning can source their materials/ parts from differing other back yard industries
from one week or month to another.

End result = Cheap chinese junk, zero QC, zero referencing, zero accountability, and zero after sales service that really accounts for anything.
And, don't ever forget, they are getting richer every day just doing it

This is why when you order a lot of this stuff there is usually a notation attached saying that it may take several weeks for your order to reach a proper mailing service before your item even gets to Australia.

True, although it is no secret that Leupold are only "Assembled in the USA", rather than made there. They have been using components from Asia for quite some time and tend to make a good scope from it.

And it is interesting. Once upon a time we used to scoff at the "Made in Japan" label. Now we deliberately seek it out as a mark of quality. They started poorly and cheaply, but now they are quite good. Think Toyota for example.

Made in China then kicked in and we scoffed at that. But QC aside (plenty of non-Asian based companies struggle there too! I'm looking at you Remington!) their junk is getting less junky, and their more expensive/quality components are getting better. Compare a made in China scope from 10-15 years ago to one of the same price range today. The QC is not great. But it is getting better, even though it is still quite sporadic.

You still get what you pay for, i'm a big believer in that. But as for all the hate on Chinese goods, methinks that at least partially stems from other matters other than purely being an issue of quality... I don't think that is a big leap to suggest that.

NB: Am I bias? yes... But not in the way you might think. My wife was formally a Chinese citizen. Emphasis on "formally". She could write volumes on some of the problems of her country of birth, particularly now that she looks back at it form an Aussie context! But that is another story!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cleger » 05 Jul 2021, 4:40 pm

InisBineest wrote:True, although it is no secret that Leupold are only "Assembled in the USA", rather than made there. They have been using components from Asia for quite some time and tend to make a good scope from it.

And it is interesting. Once upon a time we used to scoff at the "Made in Japan" label. Now we deliberately seek it out as a mark of quality. They started poorly and cheaply, but now they are quite good. Think Toyota for example.

Very True. When I was 16, I bought a 1977 Suzuki GS750. Excellent bike, but I remember that while the little owner's manual was printed well, had good illustrations, etc, the translation to English was laughable. "Make to adding oil for benefit chain," etc. Ten years later, and my new Honda's manual had been translated into perfect English. It was just been a matter of building to the point that they were hiring native speakers, overseas.

About 15 years ago, I was manufacturing some specialty bike parts, and they caught the eye of a guy who facilitated manufacture in China. He called me one afternoon with lots of questions about how many I was selling, etc. Said he could help me get started in China. Told him I had read the stories about counterfeit Nike sneakers, etc, and what was to keep his Chinese mfgs from simply selling 10x as many as I could afford to make, directly?

He asked "Chris, can you name a Chinese company?" I couldn't. He explained that while the Chinese were getting good at manufacturing, they were s**t at marketing. I decided to stop talking with him anyway, because I remembered what happened with my MC owner's mauals, and of course, here it is, 15 years later, and I can name Huawei, Lenovo, Alibaba, etc.

I bought a pair of Leupold M70 bases several years ago, and they were out of line vertically. I called Leupold and they tried to blame FN/Winchester. Hmm.

Still, they make a good scope, and they can keep an eye on quality themselves as they're performing the assembly and QC. But bases that are little more than solid chunks of steel that go straight into the blister pack can be a different thing.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm

[quote="cleger"I] bought a pair of Leupold M70 bases several years ago, and they were out of line vertically. I called Leupold and they tried to blame FN/Winchester. Hmm.[/quote]

I too, have a M70 with a Leupold base. My base needed shimming at the rear. Bought the base on "Name-Reputation".
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by cleger » 06 Jul 2021, 2:39 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:[quote="cleger"I] bought a pair of Leupold M70 bases several years ago, and they were out of line vertically. I called Leupold and they tried to blame FN/Winchester. Hmm.[/quote]

I too, have a M70 with a Leupold base. My base needed shimming at the rear. Bought the base on "Name-Reputation".[/quote]

Well, like I said, I think the bases can easily escape QC. I've bought two more Leupold scopes since then, and they're great. I'll buy another.

My M70 bases were the two-piece dovetail front & windage rear type. I lapped the daylights out of them and got them concentric, though I used a fair amount of vertical adjustment in the scope afterward. I think mine was high at the rear.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Jul 2021, 9:12 am

cleger wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:[quote="cleger"I] bought a pair of Leupold M70 bases several years ago, and they were out of line vertically. I called Leupold and they tried to blame FN/Winchester. Hmm.[/quote]

I too, have a M70 with a Leupold base. My base needed shimming at the rear. Bought the base on "Name-Reputation".[/quote][/quote]

Well, like I said, I think the bases can easily escape QC. I've bought two more Leupold scopes since then, and they're great. I'll buy another.

My M70 bases were the two-piece dovetail front & windage rear type. I lapped the daylights out of them and got them concentric, though I used a fair amount of vertical adjustment in the scope afterward. I think mine was high at the rear.[/quote]

Mine was high at the rear too, cleger. From memory, it was on the same side as the bolt handle. "Fixed" it with a few shims :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics