New release THERMAL scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

New release THERMAL scopes

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2021, 10:15 pm

I've had my curiosity peeked and started making inquiries on these already;

Anybody here beaten me to the punch ???

" Iaiming " Model IA-612
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: New release THERMAL scopes

Post by scoot » 30 Jun 2021, 10:38 pm

See them being pushed in ads everywhere. Probably a way for nioa to get a piece of the growing thermal pie.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2021, 11:00 pm

scoot wrote:See them being pushed in ads everywhere. Probably a way for nioa to get a piece of the growing thermal pie.

You could be close to the mark,,,,,, I remember they were a BIG driving force that started the buying frenzy on the Adlers, and as a result
the LAFOS suffered again,,, from the greenies and paranoid "he's got a gun" type people.
Regardless of the fact that there were already numerous other brands of lever action shotties on the market.

Ya can't tell me that NIOA couldn't see what was gonna happen with all the hype.
Why let the truth and basics get in the way of making dollars ??? :crazy:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 30 Jun 2021, 11:57 pm

I know nothing about them which makes me completely qualified to post.

https://youtu.be/_tfWwAiYR1U
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Jul 2021, 2:49 am

mchughcb wrote:I know nothing about them which makes me completely qualified to post.

https://youtu.be/_tfWwAiYR1U

Haha yep that's the theme .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by anotherben » 01 Jul 2021, 9:31 am

I was going to sell these, we actually had pre-orders for them but I ended up removing them for the following reasons.

There's a few things I don't like about the scope, actually there isn't anything that I really liked about the scope. I played around with the AI317 and these are my thoughts.
Firstly, it takes forever to boot up compared to other scopes. I timed it at 29 seconds from power on until it was ready. That's a long time in todays market.
Secondly, the mounting system makes no sense to me.

You cannot torque the base to a tension, its sold as a mount that can be switched between rifles but I do not have confidence in it returning to zero, you secure the mount by tensioning with the wing nuts.

I do not like the ergonomics of the device. For me the scroll wheel is on the wrong side of the unit, and why I say this is that in order to zoom you have to turn the wheel, if you're a right handed shooter its just not practical. I want to be able to hold the rifle into my shoulder with my left and and use my right hand to adjust the zoom.

On zooming, zooming starts at 2.7x on the 317 and increases in 0.3 increments. This makes no sense to me, we are hunters, not precision shooters. We need to be able to zoom in quickly and out quickly. I'm fine if you want to make it 1x increments or 1.5x increments, but 0.3 increments means there's a lot of scrolling of the wheel (and the wheel is loud) between base magnification and fully zoomed in.

It's heavy, and it feels really heavy compared to other units on the market. By using dual 18650 batteries they've had to house them on top of the unit, IMO its ugly. Most manufactures are now using the C123A batteries which can slide into the side of the unit. Also aligning the batteries with the barrel may potentially lead to issues with batteries arcing in higher calibers causing failures.

I am not trying to be down on the product, but this is why I test and play with things.

Some of these things are easily fixed with software and a new mounting system, the form factor and weight cannot be fixed though.
Image quality looked as expected for a 384 17um unit, the only downside is its a ≤50mk sensor rather than the newer 35-40s.

Anyway, these are my personal thoughts, hopefully I don't get sued for having a personal opinion but there it is.
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Jul 2021, 11:03 am

Another Ben,,,,,,,,
A lot of what you have commented on makes sense to me.
Plus,,,, I got my first of three quotes requested (different suppliers) on their top model in this morning.
Sadly it was almost exactly the same $$$ that I recently paid for my last Pulsar clip on.
So much for the advertising spiel saying they are cheaper than most top brand thermal scopes.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 03 Jul 2021, 12:50 am

Well Ive just purchased the IAiming 617.
Takes literally 7 or 8 seconds to turn on
No you cant torque the mounts, but Im going to make mt own modified socket for that - no biggy.
Quality of pic - well Ive mounted it on my Tikka t3x .223 but ran out of time to sight it in tonight, so just looked through it
I have a pulsar XM30s monocular which has impressive pic, but theis IAiming 617 is next level good.
I could see roos 400m plus perfectly clear. Im never going to be shooting that distance, so Im impressed.
Will report back once sighted and christened.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by anotherben » 03 Jul 2021, 9:43 am

Faedy wrote:Well Ive just purchased the IAiming 617.
Takes literally 7 or 8 seconds to turn on
No you cant torque the mounts, but Im going to make mt own modified socket for that - no biggy.
Quality of pic - well Ive mounted it on my Tikka t3x .223 but ran out of time to sight it in tonight, so just looked through it
I have a pulsar XM30s monocular which has impressive pic, but theis IAiming 617 is next level good.
I could see roos 400m plus perfectly clear. Im never going to be shooting that distance, so Im impressed.
Will report back once sighted and christened.

Good to know the 6x series boots up faster. The 317 takes forever.
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics