Sako 85 aftermarket sights

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Sako 85 aftermarket sights

Post by Chris C » 12 Jul 2021, 7:59 pm

Hi guys, I've got a Sako 85 Kodiak in 375 H&H. Its a great gun and I like walking around with it with just it's open sights. I have the standard iron rights on it. They are the express type, shallow V rear sight and huge white dot on the front. I'm sure they would be perfect for looking for a wounded lion in scrub in low light but we don't have lions where I live and I want to use the gun for accurate shots on dear, not as a dangerous game rifle. I do put an Aim Point red dot on it sometimes or scopes but I just love the look and feel of it with open sights.

So my long winded question is this. Are there any more precise Sako sights that can be installed on it? Or are there maybe some small aftermarket fiber optic sights? I haven't been able to find anything about aftermarket Sako sights. I just want to be able to carry the gun without a scope but if I come across a dear or a fox past 100m I can use a tree for a rest and be sure of a clean kill. Honestly the way it is with the huge white front site its so freggen hard to be precise. I shot a rabbit with it once at about 30m and it was so annoying. I ended up getting it with a good shot but I was not confident I'd get it even at 30m because the front sight is too big.
Chris C

Re: Sako 85 aftermarket sights

Post by JohnV » 15 Jul 2021, 10:27 am

Just fit a quality 2 to 7 scope or similar with an illuminated reticle option if possible as low on the action as you can . As you get older you may find you can't effectively use open sights anymore so just get a scope now and be done with it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bello » 15 Jul 2021, 10:55 am

Hi JohnV

I have the exact same rifle.
I fiited a scope to mine.
Sighted it in and works well
:thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 15 Jul 2021, 11:29 am

My Sako is in 17HMR, and the open sights it came with were, imo, rubbish. I ditched them, plugged the screw holes, and fitted a scope to suit. End of story.
As suggested, do the same. You won't regret it. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Jul 2021, 12:15 pm

Easy solution, 1.5-5x20 vx3 leupold , or the red dot version with a 30mm tube.

I use a 1.5-5 loopy and have cut a vertical slot at 100 of the bench . So yeah, they work
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Jul 2021, 5:12 pm

Chris,,,,,,,,
Do you have any other rifle/caliber ?
ie: something suited for smaller game as you have described.
The .375 is what it is,, (including the open sights),,,,,,,,, and primarily designed for large/dangerous game at generally a "closeish" range.

From what you describe, it's like as if you've got a D8 dozer, and wanting to use it to take the kiddies to kindergarten.

I believe the Sako .375 H+H Kodiak would have the exact same open sights as the Grizzly (which I have used extensively) with the open sights.
And,,,,,, personally think they are great when matched with the purpose for which they were built.

Save it for the big Reds,, and Sambar,, and use a .17hmr or .222 for the bunnies.
:drinks: :friends:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 18 Jul 2021, 8:38 am

Bello wrote:Hi JohnV

I have the exact same rifle.
I fiited a scope to mine.
Sighted it in and works well

Hi mate , I started with a 4 to 12 scope on my 308 and it never had a very good field of view so eventually I got a 2 -7 Leupold and it's way better for running shots on 2 power and 7 power is plenty for a shot at 200 m .
I moved the 4 to 12 to my 223 to replace a cheap Nikko scope and for spotlighting it's good .
Some people have a bit of difficulty moving from open sights to scopes . I did myself when I was about 16 year old when I put a long eye relief pistol scope on my air rifle . However once you learn how to set up a scope properly and get used to it you never go back to open sights for our type of hunting anyway . You made a good choice .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bello » 18 Jul 2021, 10:46 am

Hi JohnV

On my 375 H + H Kodiak I have fitted a Leupold 4.5 x 14. I had taken this scope off another rifle and it was sitting in the cupboard, so I decided to put it on this new girl. The advice I received was to put a low power scope on the rifle as it is predominantly used for close range work. But this was the scope I had free.

I took it to the range and did my usual load development. It shoots minute of dear at 100 meters and I am as happy as Larry. :D
I haven't taken it out hunting as yet.
The rifle was bought new just around the last Sydney lockdown. If we ever get our lives back I am hanging to take it out into the field.
I have to agree with the above person when they said it was a specific calibre for big game.

I bought it to have a little play and maybe one day go up north for something bigger.

What specifically are you targeting with the 375 H+H?
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 18 Jul 2021, 5:25 pm

I don't have a .375 HH . The biggest cartridge I ever used in civilian life was a 300 WM . Now I have a 30-06 , and 308 . plus other smaller stuff . I don't need anything bigger as I can drop anything I want with a head shot from a 308 . I think covid will be around for a very long time and we older blokes are screwed .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 18 Jul 2021, 6:11 pm

There should be some form of peep sight that can be fitted. Also check out new England gun company,they do a lot of open sights. If you want to use an open sighted 375 for hunting I say go for it ! I much prefer open sights,but I'll readily confess my eyes don't always agree.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 Jul 2021, 6:13 pm

Sorry,the name is new England custom guns
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Jul 2021, 6:41 pm

if a peep sight is what your after , i've seen a fella called "premium optics australia" advertise on usedguns and ozgunsales . he's had sako factory adjustable peep sights off older model L61's and such . they attach to the factory rear dovetail , and i don't believe the dovetail has changed over the years . you could give him a try

edit- i just checked and he does have some of these factory peeps and front sights for sako's listed under spare parts . just use google to find his website :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2021, 9:38 pm

bigrich wrote:if a peep sight is what your after , i've seen a fella called "premium optics australia" advertise on usedguns and ozgunsales . he's had sako factory adjustable peep sights off older model L61's and such . they attach to the factory rear dovetail , and i don't believe the dovetail has changed over the years . you could give him a try

edit- i just checked and he does have some of these factory peeps and front sights for sako's listed under spare parts . just use google to find his website :thumbsup:

Premium Optics Australia,
Andrew Sansome,
http://www.premiumopticsaustralia.com.au
Mob: 0429849007

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Jul 2021, 4:52 am

Yup that’s it DJ . Sometimes I wish I was more of a computer nerd. I’ve tried to paste links before, but with the glue I’m using they just won’t stick to the damn screen :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2021, 9:26 am

bigrich wrote:Yup that’s it DJ . Sometimes I wish I was more of a computer nerd. I’ve tried to paste links before, but with the glue I’m using they just won’t stick to the damn screen :lol:

:lol: :lol:
I'm definitely not a "computer nerd"
I just happen to have known Andrew for many years,, and have his details on hand.

I would highly recommend him for anyone looking to do business with him.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 19 Jul 2021, 7:40 pm

The name Sako and Aftermarket is a bit of an oxymoron . Sako does not and never did fully understand aftermarket products as a way to promote and increase sales .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics