possible fake optic

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

possible fake optic

Post by rossfrb » 19 Jul 2021, 9:30 am

Hi all
I was browsing the usedguns site and came across a Zeiss Conquest 5-25 illuminated scope. This got me interested as I was unaware that Zeiss made an illuminated version in that magnification. Looking at the image I can see "scalloping" on both the objective bell and ocular areas that do not look Zeiss like at all. I don't believe Zeiss put any sort of "scalloping" on their objective bell. That would to me suggest an adjustable objective however the scope in question also appears to have side adjustable parallax.
There used to be Conquest 3-9 knock offs coming out of Singapore on ebay that had very similar scalloping.
cheers
rb
Attachments
5to25ill.JPG
5to25ill.JPG (39.25 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: possible fake optic

Post by Bugman » 19 Jul 2021, 9:35 am

If in doubt, contact the Zeiss agents, which I think are Outdoor Sporting Agencies for an opinion. From your info, it appears sus.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 19 Jul 2021, 10:11 am

It all depends on what you mean by a fake.
It would be more inclined to call it a misrepresentation of origin.
There was / is an optical manufacturer based in Singapore that entered into a licencing arrangement with Carl Zeiss Jena DDR well before the fall of the Berlin wall to assemble or manufacture Carl Zeiss designed optics.
I for example still have a Rollei SLR camera bought in the late 70's with Carl Zeiss optics originating in Singapore. It was of superior quality at the time.
As likely as not Carl Zeiss Jena DDR either disappeared without rescinding the licence or were unable to compensate this Singapore manufacturer for rescinding the licence. These scopes are branded somewhat deceptively on the strength of that licence.
These scopes have the appearance of typical Chinese "trade" scopes as made for many western brand names and as such consider yourself lucky if you get what you paid for.
I would also be somewhat wary Pecar branded optical products coming out of China.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Jul 2021, 12:52 pm

Got one of these scopes sitting in the garage. The scope looks fake, and the box looks fake.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2021, 8:37 pm

Simple,,,, ask for the Serial Number.

If it doesn't have one,, then it's not genuine Zeiss.
If it does have one verify it by contacting Zeiss.

The Zeiss knock offs usually have the same S/Ns, but unless you've got two or more of them your pushing sh!t up hill.

If you get a serial number email Zeiss (overseas) and ask them to verify it.
I have done this twice and they replied both times promptly,,,, and verified the integrity.

PS, I saw that scope on used guns,,,,,, and it's listed as SOLD.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics