Pig Hunting Scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Pig Hunting Scope

Post by NDH » 28 Jul 2021, 9:12 am

Hi Guys, New to the forum. Hope everyones doing well.

I'm not very knowledgeable with optics, I normally hunt with a 30/30 Lever Action (Iron sights). I recently purchased a 308 Ruger rifle for a change and would like to know some recommendations on scopes.

It'll be mostly for bush and 100m/200m shots nothing over the top.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank for your time.
NDH
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Pig Hunting Scope

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2021, 11:21 am

3-9×40 is hard to beat
2-7×40 also.

Horses for courses
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Jul 2021, 12:11 pm

1.5-5x20, and you can do a longer shot on 5 power, or a 2-7x33 would be my pick
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 28 Jul 2021, 12:52 pm

Agree with Bigrich.
A 1.5 to 5x will allow you to shoot with both eyes open when cranked down for the close up shots. That's what I have on levers.
But one of my Ruger Scouts wears a 2-7 x 32
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 28 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm

animalpest wrote:Agree with Bigrich.
A 1.5 to 5x will allow you to shoot with both eyes open when cranked down for the close up shots. That's what I have on levers.
But one of my Ruger Scouts wears a 2-7 x 32

X3 on that
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 28 Jul 2021, 2:34 pm

Don't go anything bigger than 2-7 I reckon, low magnification good for those fast close encounters. Vortex crossfire or burris droptine very affordable options. Both come a bdc reticle for those longer shots.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by goldiexxxx » 28 Jul 2021, 2:35 pm

I like a 2-7x33 Leupold. Its low profile, a bit lighter of course, and I seem to be able to bring it faster to aim than my 3-9x40.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bello » 28 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm

Hi Mate
Congrats on the new purchase.
You mentioned shooting out to 100m to 200 meters.
I find, as a more mature fellow, I like a little more magnification, especially for those longer shots to 200 meters.

If you are taking quick shots up close I agree with the above posts.
But for the longer shots, where I may have a little more time to take the shot, I prefer a 3-18 power. It can be wound down for close up work or wound up for better target identification out at the longer shots.

I suppose the 308 will be used for shooting other than pigs. This scope in my mind would give you a bit more flexibility.

The best bit of advice I can give with my limited experience is: Buy the best you can afford, you will thank yourself in the long run.
I like Leupold. Good scopes. If you have any issues, NIOA in QLD, will have it fixed and back to you in no time.

Also look at used gun sites. You can pick up a good quality scope for a reasonable price.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2021, 6:37 pm

A red dot holo, this will suit your previous hunting style very well. It’s surpring how accurate you can be at longer ranges with a fine small dot ...... Everything others have said all makes sense as well .....battery life is amazeing with modern red dots ....usually they operate on a 2032 Battery which u can buy just about anywhere
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2021, 6:41 pm

bigrich wrote:1.5-5x20, and you can do a longer shot on 5 power, or a 2-7x33 would be my pick

Just personally I will not use another scope with a 20mm objective lense. Yes, helps with wide angle but pathetic in low light situations.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Jul 2021, 7:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Just personally I will not use another scope with a 20mm objective lense. Yes, helps with wide angle but pathetic in low light situations.[/quote]

Agree. They are pathetic in low light.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Jul 2021, 7:59 pm

BLR beat me to it,,,,,,,, I was gonna suggest maybe an Aimpoint Micro H-1

Very robust,, and versatile with the brightness control.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2021, 8:08 pm

I have used a 2-7 wide angle for many years. It was pretty good for chasing pigs. Nice quality Japanese optic, side by side with a Leupold I could not tell the difference. There was no point getting a Leupold to replace it (I was considering this)

But my 1-6 red dot scope is far superior. The field if view it has, and the red dot make target aquisition on a moving target, through scrub, in low light conditions, is superb. And the visibility in low light is a lot better even without the red dot. The 24mm objective on the 1-6 is a lot better than the 2-7 X 33. For a pig hunting scope the 1-6 is hard to beat.

In the field, using an improvised rest, the most magnification I can use is about 5-6 power. Anything more than this requires a good rest, not just using my knee or a tree trunk. My 2-7 never went past 5 mostly. The field of view the 1 power provides is a much more significant advantage. The red dot, is the icing on the cake. A black reticle on a black pig is no match for the red dot in my experience.

I cannot comment on a budget price 1-6 scope though. You get what you pay for with optics, so I would be looking at some better quality options.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:1.5-5x20, and you can do a longer shot on 5 power, or a 2-7x33 would be my pick

Just personally I will not use another scope with a 20mm objective lense. Yes, helps with wide angle but pathetic in low light situations.

Yeah, I dunno OB . My last trip out pst St George, the sun was well down, not even a glow on the horizon, and I could see clearer and vision was noticeably brighter through my VX3 i 1.5-5x20 scope than the naked eye. I was that impressed I passed my rifle to a mate to have a look and a couple of little pigs appeared 20 metres away under a tree. Wouldn’t have seen them with the naked eye. It’s why I spend the money on leupold scopes. And yes, one of the pigs got zapped.
The other ran wee wee wee all the way home...... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2021, 8:47 pm

I have Heard some of those red dot holo sights will still work even if u break the glass in them ....buggered if I know how that works
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Jul 2021, 10:11 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have Heard some of those red dot holo sights will still work even if u break the glass in them ....buggered if I know how that works

Dead right there Blr,,,, I saw the vid that was put up of the Aimpoint Micro in an armed forces review.

Apart from being dunked in salt water,,,, buried in mud (and I think by memory, left for 3 months),,,,,, and then ran over by a 6x6 Studebaker troopcarrier,,,,,,
and with a busted ocular lens,,,,,,, it still proved to be on target.

Unf@ckin believable.

And the battery life is phenominal.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics