Thermals for days

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Thermals for days

Post by scoot » 28 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm

I may be late to the party but I've just noticed OSA are now distributing another brand of thermal along with ATN. Seems they have "clip ons" and monoculars branded LIEMKE.
Don't know anything about them but good to see more competition. Quite a comprehensive list of options available to us mere ozzy's now. Makes the decision to spend lots of money that little bit more complicated.
Despite so many options now, our dreams of "affordable" thermal still seem a ways off. :(
Any average Joe's running some of the new stuff available feel free to chime in with your experience.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Thermals for days

Post by Bello » 29 Jul 2021, 5:48 am

Hi Scoot

I little while ago I got a Pulsar XQ50 Thermion, it's been a game changer.
No more spot light.
I have upset a few foxes and pigs with it since purchase.

They are expensive to buy. But I have had fun with mine. If lockdown in NSW ever ends, I intend of putting it through its paces.
I like the fact that you can record your shots for playback later.

my2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jul 2021, 1:13 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Scoot

I little while ago I got a Pulsar XQ50 Thermion, it's been a game changer.
No more spot light.
I have upset a few foxes and pigs with it since purchase.

They are expensive to buy. But I have had fun with mine. If lockdown in NSW ever ends, I intend of putting it through its paces.
I like the fact that you can record your shots for playback later.

my2c

Due to lockdown I'm guessing it's too early to ask if they've managed to fix the poi problems that some earlier models of Thermions apparently have ?

It was because of those reported issues that I gave them a wide berth, and went with the CORE FXQ 50 instead.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 29 Jul 2021, 2:03 pm

DJ, I would be interested to know your thoughts on your Core clip on? We are looking at some for work, which of course I will need to borrow on occasion.

Is it practical to use as a spotter first then clip to scope?
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by scoot » 29 Jul 2021, 7:57 pm

They deffinitely change the game.
I don't really know what I was expecting but it's certainly a different experience shooting through thermal. Not necessarily better,worse,easier,harder.... just different.
Detecting stuff becomes so much easier it almost feels like cheating.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jul 2021, 9:20 pm

RUGGA wrote:DJ, I would be interested to know your thoughts on your Core clip on? We are looking at some for work, which of course I will need to borrow on occasion.

Is it practical to use as a spotter first then clip to scope?

PM sent.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by anotherben » 30 Jul 2021, 6:04 am

LIEMKE is mainly rebadged InfiRay and HIKMICRO gear.

Clip ons can be great if you understand the restrictions of them and have good mounting systems for them.
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics