Scope suggestions

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope suggestions

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Jul 2021, 2:49 pm

Looking for a scope brand/model suggestion for my .223
At the moment I have a Zeiss Terra 4-12 on there, but the turrets aren't marked with numbers, and I'm looking to switch between cartridges depending on the purpose. I have texta marks on there atm, but looking for a bit more ease of use.
Would love to read suggestions.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Scope suggestions

Post by Veetwin » 29 Jul 2021, 4:07 pm

Have a look at the Meopta range. Read the reviews, very good top quality and a great price. Made in Europe......................say no more
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Jul 2021, 4:18 pm

I don't know the Zeiss, so here goes. Could you put some white masking tape on the knobs and inscribe it with a fine point biro?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Jul 2021, 4:31 pm

Veetwin wrote:Have a look at the Meopta range. Read the reviews, very good top quality and a great price. Made in Europe......................say no more

Thanks for the suggestion, will look further.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Jul 2021, 4:36 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I don't know the Zeiss, so here goes. Could you put some white masking tape on the knobs and inscribe it with a fine point biro?

I could and it would probably work. I'm seriously considering going with the texta markings and keeping a note under the cap in case I forget.
But am also at a stage in my life when I can't be stuffed with compromising simple luxuries.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 29 Jul 2021, 6:11 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Looking for a scope brand/model suggestion for my .223
At the moment I have a Zeiss Terra 4-12 on there, but the turrets aren't marked with numbers, and I'm looking to switch between cartridges depending on the purpose. I have texta marks on there atm, but looking for a bit more ease of use.

If you want a cheap scope with impeccable tracking check this out go to 3 minutes and 40 seconds simply amazing for the money I bought 1 and are very happy with it.

https://youtu.be/TcsAKGU6vmE
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 29 Jul 2021, 6:33 pm

deye243 wrote:

If you want a cheap scope with impeccable tracking check this out go to 3 minutes and 40 seconds simply amazing for the money I bought 1 and are very happy with it.

Cheers thank you
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jul 2021, 6:48 pm

+1 on the Meopta. I’ve got a 6-18x50 Meopro on my Lithgow 223. Really good scope in my opinion, they obviously have newer models out now as well.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Jul 2021, 7:21 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
But am also at a stage in my life when I can't be stuffed with compromising simple luxuries.

:) :) :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 29 Jul 2021, 7:29 pm

Harrynsw wrote:But am also at a stage in my life when I can't be stuffed with compromising simple luxuries.

amen to that
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 30 Jul 2021, 5:53 am

Hi Mate

Lots of great scopes out there
For hunting, value for money....I like Leupold.
Any issues and NIOA in QLD can have it fixed and back to you in a reasonable time.

I own several branded scopes, all good, just depends on how much you are willing to fork out. I find my leupold and Swarovski, clear and great to use. My son loves scopes with illuminated red dots. I don't mind the meopta as well.

When this current lock down ends on 2030, go to our local gun shop and look at a few, see what suits YOU.
I find the more higher end scopes are clearer and better in fading light.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bman940 » 31 Jul 2021, 4:22 am

If you're going to swap the scope between 2 different rifles I would suggest a Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP in mil or MOA. Easy to zero and use dope from Strelok Pro. Dial-in your shots or use the hash marks for bullet drops, pretty simple and very accurate, as long as you enter accurate information.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by G-Swiss » 31 Jul 2021, 9:32 am

This is what I have on my Lithgow 223 and I couldn’t be happier. The lifetime 100% no-fault replacement guarantee is a nice reassurance. Glass is great and adjustments positive and precise.

I prefer MRAD because (metric > shillings/pounds/fathoms) any day.

FFP for a hunting scope and works fine for any target range the 223 is capable of.

https://www.ozscopes.com.au/vortex-vipe ... scope.html
Cheers G
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Jul 2021, 10:03 am

deye243 wrote:

I know nothing about Meopro but don't take this video as a objective review. The gushing review is either someone who sells the product or a fanboy. You may find a few options at the $1,000 price point.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 31 Jul 2021, 1:28 pm

Well I must be a fanboy a week ago after I found this video I went and walk mine around the target twice perfect tracking but we will see it needs to do this a couple of years down the track after it's had a lot of use but so far it tracks every bit as good as my two NXS night forces
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2021, 1:42 pm

90% of my scopes are Zeiss. ( Duralyts and Conquests )
However,,,,, I don't own a Zeiss Terra.
It seems strange to me for a Zeiss NOT to have the "numbers"
Was it like that from new ?????
Or, did you get it 2nd hand,,,,,,, and the original buyer removed the band/numbers for some reason ?

Pics ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 31 Jul 2021, 2:07 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

90% of my scopes are Zeiss. ( Duralyts and Conquests )
However,,,,, I don't own a Zeiss Terra.
It seems strange to me for a Zeiss NOT to have the "numbers"
Was it like that from new ?????
Or, did you get it 2nd hand,,,,,,, and the original buyer removed the band/numbers for some reason ?

Pics ???

Bought Brand new. Just a turret with increments.
Unscrewed the urret cap (2 screws) to see if I could reset it, but no.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Bought Brand new. Just a turret with increments.
Unscrewed the urret cap (2 screws) to see if I could reset it, but no.

Haaa, Haaaaaaa,,

I just thought, and looked at some of mine.
It never dawned on me that you meant precisely what you said.
Yep, no numbers. But why do you need numbers ?

I've always just done the basics to start with.
1) wind fully one way,,, wind fully the other way.
2) count the clicks,, set half way (both windage and elevation.
3) sight in and zero
4) set the zero arrow
5) make whatever adjustments you need on the day
6) then just click back to the arrow

I've never needed "numbers"
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Jul 2021, 7:17 pm

But Die Judicii, he doesn't want to compromise simple luxuries :) ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2021, 7:56 pm

Bello wrote:
When this current lock down ends on 2030, go to our local gun shop and look at a few, see what suits YOU.
I find the more higher end scopes are clearer and better in fading light.

That's a definite. :thumbsup:

Before I went thermal, I was using one of those NiteSite 200 units.
Terribly cumbersome and awkward and certainly not suited for walk, carry, shoot.
But at least they worked well within their capabilities.

I was shooting a property that bounded a part of the Grampians while on holiday.
The rabbits were insanely plentiful, and I would set up mid afternoon in a hide,, sniping, waiting, sniping.

The scope I was using was my first Zeiss Duralyt,, and the light gathering ability was so good that I found I could still pick bunnies off with the
scope alone,,,, when I couldn't pick them out with the naked eye. :thumbsup:

Eventually it would get too dark,, and then I'd attach the NitSite to be able to continue shooting but the in between bits with scope only were real good.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics