Meopta Optika6 observations

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Meopta Optika6 observations

Post by GQshayne » 11 Sep 2021, 7:45 pm

I had a look at a 1-6 x 24i today, with a view to it going on my cousins BLR. They get a good rap, with it often said that under $1000 they are hard to beat. I have two Meostars, so was keen to see how they compared.

Reviews says how good the glass is, and how clear they are. I agree with this, and think they compare well with more expensive competition. In this regard, you should give them some serious thought when in the market for a new scope. Really nice, bright and clear. Impressive for the price point.

But...... this is a scope with an illuminated reticle, so the performance of the red dot is important. I saw an internet review that stated you could not see it in normal sunlight. But it was a US review, doing a 3 gun type shoot on a white target in full sun. So not a hunting scenario. So I figured I had better make up my own mind on this with an inspection. When at the shop the fella put a battery in it for me to have a look out the shop door (I was not even outside). I could not see it at all, even on full power. I handed it back and he had a look himself. He then checked to see it was turned on. It was. :( So that was not much good. No point buying a red dot scope if you cannot see it during the day. Yes, at dawn and dusk it would be fine, but I have shot pigs at 9.00am too. Disappointing.

Problem number two was first noticed when it was handed to me. I was stunned at how heavy it was. I could not believe it.. I reckon my 2.5-15 X 56 is lighter. I do not think I have ever picked up a hunting scope that was so heavy. My dad could not believe how heavy it was. We had a GPO 1-6 X 24 as a comparison, and it was much lighter. Gun shop guy reckoned it was half the weight of the Meopta. It was hard to disagree with him.

So we bought the GPO, which looks to be a very nice optic. When we got home we googled the specs of both scopes, which are both in the 500 gram range, one 530 and one 580 or something similar. We got some scales out and stuffed around with baked bean tins etc to try and draw a conclusion. We estimate the Meopta feels to us like it weighs close to 750-800 grams. The GPO weighed close to the specs.

We could not believe how heavy it felt, and agreed there was no way it would suit the BLR. Very odd. The GPO was bought at a heavily discounted price. Normal price is $1850 - $2100 depending on where you look and we got it for $1195. Whilst it does not have the "cache" of a Zeiss or a Swarovski, at a quick glance it compares well to my Z6 for half the price.

For $850- $950 the Meopta Optika6 has great optics. If you want a 3-18 (which may be a bit dearer) for a varminter and do not care about weight or illuminated reticles, then for the price they look really good I reckon.

My 2C anyway!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Meopta Optika6 observations

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Sep 2021, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the review
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 12 Sep 2021, 8:14 am

Hi mate
Thanks for your thoughts.
I have a Meostar on one of my rifles and it seems good.
I was wondering about the new Optika 6. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 12 Sep 2021, 8:15 am

This post intrigued me so I looked up the specs of the Meopta 1-6 and the GPO 1-6 for comparison.
The key points being Meopta weighs 578 grams and is 256mm long while the GPO weighs 459 grams and is 282mm long. Both have a 30mm tube and nominal 24mm objective lenses.
One would think that the GPO being 26mm longer and all else being equal it would be slightly heavier, but no it is 119 grams lighter.
In the words of Prof. Harry Messel - why would that be so.
I can only imagine that the weight saving has been achieved by the frugal use internally of 'chinametal' and plastic instead of more durable but heavier metals and possibly lighter poly-carbonate lens cells rather than glass.
Now there is nothing wrong with that choice of materials in of itself but when those sorts of savings are attractive to a manufacturer so too will be other expediencies.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Veetwin » 12 Sep 2021, 8:53 am

My 6- 18 x50 Meopta weights 530g The GPO site says it is made in Japan and other Asian countries. If other Asian countries means China, you have your answer.

In this case, the German designs are manufactured in Japan and other Asian nations. “We make sure GPO products are built to our specs and that the factories we work with adhere to the tough quality-control we're used to from our experience with other top brands,” said Jensen
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 12 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm

Having been involved with Meopta products ( photographic side) for at least 30 years in my previous work existence, all I can is reiterate that they make excellent products, including their scopes. I would say that you can buy with confidence.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 12 Sep 2021, 8:08 pm

GPO weighs 530 grams according to specs. I weighed it, and that is correct. The GPO side by side with my Swaro Z6 compares admirably. They have a cheaper line that is made in China. This one is Japanese made, as far as I can determine. It is very similar to my other scopes I reckon. My Z6 1-6 x 24i weighs 460 grams.

The GPO is not the odd one out in this comparison. It is not light, the Meopta is heavy. The specs say 578 grams but that makes no sense to me. Feels like a brick.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 13 Sep 2021, 7:47 am

Would you be prepared to ask the dealer to weight the Meopta if you have a good relationship with them?
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Sep 2021, 8:31 pm

Veetwin wrote:Would you be prepared to ask the dealer to weight the Meopta if you have a good relationship with them?

It is possible they may be able to do that. However, the fact that the red dot was not visible in the sun was a big factor in not buying it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by safeshot » 15 Sep 2021, 7:56 pm

My Meopta was made i n the Czech republic. It aims better than I can shoot too. Its a bummer getting old.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 15 Sep 2021, 8:07 pm

safeshot wrote:My Meopta was made i n the Czech republic. It aims better than I can shoot too. Its a bummer getting old.

My Meostars are too. Excellent optics, and the Optika impressed in this respect too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by markg » 20 Sep 2021, 3:16 pm

I have to agree. I bought a Meopta 4x12x50 and it's excellent for the money, clear as a bell and good in low light, and it's European made. I see very little difference between it and my mates Zeiss to be frank. Perhaps they could shrink the reticle a bit but other than that. I have just gone through the motions of getting new binos. I tried Swaros, Vortex and Nikons but settled on the Leica Trinovids. To my average eye they are excellent for the money. I personally could not see the image quality so vastly improved on the other top end binos that would ask of me to fork out a further $1500 plus extra to get them. As I said I'm no expert it's just my personal opinion. I can live with the small "shortcomings" of the cheaper option.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 20 Sep 2021, 7:15 pm

As good as the Meostar and Meopro ranges are, Meopta made a model called the ZD. From memory there were two models (possibly more) and this model really served it up to the top spec Zeiss Victory/V8 and higer spec Swaro's - for around half the price (back when i had a play with them - several years ago)

Meoptas can be purchased knowing your getting a quality optic

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 20 Sep 2021, 7:28 pm

solarpak wrote:As good as the Meostar and Meopro ranges are, Meopta made a model called the ZD. From memory there were two models (possibly more) and this model really served it up to the top spec Zeiss Victory/V8 and higer spec Swaro's - for around half the price (back when i had a play with them - several years ago)

C.

Have you had a chance to look at the 1-6x24???

I am curious as to whether you thought it felt heavy. Specs say it isn't too bad, but it felt like a brick.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bman940 » 21 Sep 2021, 4:16 am

The Optika6 1-6x24 comes in at 20 oz/ 1.25 pounds. Hardly a brick and compact enough to keep the weight over the receiver. I love the 2 I have now. I also have a ZD 4-16x44 that is truly amazing in low light.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by solarpak » 21 Sep 2021, 8:40 pm

GQshayne wrote:
solarpak wrote:As good as the Meostar and Meopro ranges are, Meopta made a model called the ZD. From memory there were two models (possibly more) and this model really served it up to the top spec Zeiss Victory/V8 and higer spec Swaro's - for around half the price (back when i had a play with them - several years ago)

C.

I am curious as to whether you thought it felt heavy. Specs say it isn't too bad, but it felt like a brick.

Shayne,
the Optika 1-6x24 at 1.25 pounds (whatever that is in grams) would make for a fine optic - however i personally find any scope over 500 grams to heavy for a stalking rifle where overall weight between 3.5 -3. kgs is my overall aim.
I recall that Meopta made the Artemis 7x50 - now thats a sweet scope!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bman940 » 22 Sep 2021, 4:46 am

Meopta still makes a fixed 7X and 8X. Coming in at 1.25 pounds and a top-tier scope is the MeoStar R2 1.7-10x42 RD. You could buy 2-3 Optika6 1-6x24's for it but, dang, it is sweet. Have you considered the Optika5 2-10x42 PA ? A friend has a 3-15 and loves it. I'm getting a 4-20 for my .17hmr and a 2-10 for a 22LR, when they become available. Meopta definitely isn't the secret they used to be here in the states.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by GQshayne » 22 Sep 2021, 7:52 pm

bman940 wrote:Meopta still makes a fixed 7X and 8X. Coming in at 1.25 pounds and a top-tier scope is the MeoStar R2 1.7-10x42 RD. You could buy 2-3 Optika6 1-6x24's for it but, dang, it is sweet. Have you considered the Optika5 2-10x42 PA ? A friend has a 3-15 and loves it. I'm getting a 4-20 for my .17hmr and a 2-10 for a 22LR, when they become available. Meopta definitely isn't the secret they used to be here in the states.

I have two Meostars. Side by side with a Swarovski and Zeiss they compare very well.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Sep 2021, 7:55 pm

solarpak wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

C.

Shayne,
the Optika 1-6x24 at 1.25 pounds (whatever that is in grams) would make for a fine optic - however i personally find any scope over 500 grams to heavy for a stalking rifle where overall weight between 3.5 -3. kgs is my overall aim.
I recall that Meopta made the Artemis 7x50 - now thats a sweet scope!!

C.

Ok, I wondered whether you had looked at one. It feels a lot heavier than the specs indicate. Perhaps it has to do with balance, rather than just the overall weight. It is heavier than the GPO, which is in turn heavier than my Z6, but it feels like it is close to double the weight in your hands. Perhaps it is not balanced as well as the others.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bah! » 22 Sep 2021, 10:58 pm

is balance even relevant for a scope? I think that is deeply subjective, the whole lot.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 23 Sep 2021, 7:45 pm

bah! wrote:is balance even relevant for a scope? I think that is deeply subjective, the whole lot.

I am referring solely to how heavy it felt. Specifications state it is slightly heavier than some others in the same class, but it feels almost double in the hand. So either the small variance in weight is very noticeable, or there is something about it that makes it feel heavier then it is.

Three of us all made the same comment. Gun shop staff member suggested it felt almost double the weight of the GPO. Specs do not reflect this. It is quite odd.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics