What are "Athlon Scopes" like?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

What are "Athlon Scopes" like?

Post by ThePlinkster » 12 Sep 2021, 8:30 pm

Hey guys

I hope that everyone is well

Just a quick question

What are Athlon scopes like?
Are they normally pretty good?
(In general)
Clear glass? Well built/solid etc?

I was considering purchasing one of them
Just to go onto a 22LR
Just for target shooting mainly @50metres away
Nothing too fancy
However, I do like to achieve good results/tight groups

What do you guys reckon?
Last edited by ThePlinkster on 12 Sep 2021, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: What are "Athlon Scopes" like?

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Sep 2021, 9:25 pm

Athlon like a other manufacturers have varying classes of optics to suit different budgets. Personally I'm a bit of a Vortex fan at the moment.
So what ever you buy, quality will be relevant to how much you spend. I don't have Athlon scopes, but I have to say for the money vortex crossfire 2 range are pretty damn good.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 13 Sep 2021, 5:29 am

Hi Mate
Always buy the best scope you can afford relative to the application.
I believe you get what you pay for with scopes.
If you look on a second hand web site selling guns/scopes you may pick up something a lot better for not much more.
Good luck
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 13 Sep 2021, 8:08 am

I have one it is pretty good as far as function goes. The turrets are a little spongy but after removing excess grease they were better. My only observation is that they are a little bulky compared to some of the higher end scopes I have.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Bugman » 13 Sep 2021, 8:43 am

Bello wrote:Hi Mate
If you look on a second hand web site selling guns/scopes you may pick up something a lot better for not much more.
Good luck

Oh so true. I learnt my lesson many moons ago.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 13 Sep 2021, 9:01 am

Bugman wrote:
Bello wrote:Hi Mate
Good luck

Oh so true. I learnt my lesson many moons ago.

I bought a cheap scope when I was a youngsta, thinking a scope is a scope is a scope.
As time passes, I would compare mine to other blokes ones and I was disappointed. :(
My scope was not as clear etc etc. :(
Now I save up and buy what I want (Not always what I need), Cry once...as the saying goes. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 13 Sep 2021, 9:23 am

Harrynsw wrote:Athlon like a other manufacturers have varying classes of optics to suit different budgets. Personally I'm a bit of a Vortex fan at the moment.
So what ever you buy, quality will be relevant to how much you spend. I don't have Athlon scopes, but I have to say for the money vortex crossfire 2 range are pretty damn good.

I have to take issue with a couple of your remarks.
First your use of the description "manufacturers".
In the scope world most "brands" are the province of marketing companies who will use whatever factory suits their financial requirements at that time, there being just a precious few well known companies that design, develop, manufacture in house and market products under their own brand name. Although that too is undergoing change.
Second "So what ever you buy, quality will be relevant to how much you spend"
With leaders in their class manufacturers, a guarded yes, but with marketers a definite 'if your luck holds out'.
In another thread, the poster refers to a GPO scope that is 'on special' at about half it's circa $2000 usual price. Isn't that telling you just how much fat there was in the original deal.
Was it good value at $2000, is it now good value at $1000, so at what price will it actually be good value?
I would say closer to it's unfamiliar branded sibling out of the same factory.
There is quite an array of marketing tricks we all at one time or another succumb to.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 13 Sep 2021, 10:10 am

I've got an Athlon Neos 6-18x44 on my 223 at the moment. Nice and clear, good contrast, works just fine. I'll second the comment about dull turrets until you clean them.

Can't go wrong for the money IMO, although I havent had it long so can't comment on that aspect of things.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Sep 2021, 12:50 pm

straightshooter wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:Athlon like a other manufacturers have varying classes of optics to suit different budgets. Personally I'm a bit of a Vortex fan at the moment.

I have to take issue with a couple of your remarks.
First your use of the description "manufacturers".
In the scope world most "brands" are the province of marketing companies who will use whatever factory suits their financial requirements at that time, there being just a precious few well known companies that design, develop, manufacture in house and market products under their own brand name. Although that too is undergoing change.
Second "So what ever you buy, quality will be relevant to how much you spend"
With leaders in their class manufacturers, a guarded yes, but with marketers a definite 'if your luck holds out'.
In another thread, the poster refers to a GPO scope that is 'on special' at about half it's circa $2000 usual price. Isn't that telling you just how much fat there was in the original deal.
Was it good value at $2000, is it now good value at $1000, so at what price will it actually be good value?
I would say closer to it's unfamiliar branded sibling out of the same factory.
There is quite an array of marketing tricks we all at one time or another succumb to.

If you're a flat out idiot and don't shop around you will get ripped off, but that applies to everything in life. Manufacturers/brands.....who cares??? I'm sure the man knew what I was referring to.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Sep 2021, 4:00 pm

ThePlinkster wrote:Hey guys

I hope that everyone is well

Just a quick question

What are Athlon scopes like?
Are they normally pretty good?
(In general)
Clear glass? Well built/solid etc?

I was considering purchasing one of them
Just to go onto a 22LR
Just for target shooting mainly @50metres away
Nothing too fancy
However, I do like to achieve good results/tight groups

What do you guys reckon?

The couple I've seen and briefly used I quite liked, but they were low magnification (2-7x and I think the other was 3-9x). We couldn't see bullet holes at 100m, not even .30-cal holes. I didn't consider them to be worth two or three times the price of my Bushnells though. The 2-7x was FFP with a .125-minute reticle that was extremely difficult to pick up against a grass background.

If it's mainly for shooting paper I would go higher-magnification, up to 40-power even, with a very fine reticle, .125MoA or less. With side-focus parallax that comes back to 10m. Nowadays you can get scopes that magnify 8, 10, even 12 times the base - I think the highest I've seen is 4-48x65, which is low enough for hunting (although the scope is enormous) while still being very, very high for shooting paper, or simply for spotting bullet holes. I've been considering ordering something this just to see how well it can be done.

As an aside, I saw this video recently that I think is a pretty clear explanation of how scopes function.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6zerPV0Yls
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Sep 2021, 4:23 pm

Athlon is a Chinese rebrand scope very popular in the USA. They are trying to produce decent scp outs for cheaper price point. But like everything the more you spend the better. Their HD stops are spared to be really good.

Now I own a bunch of scopes including night force, sightron leupold and a couple of athlon.

Both the athlons are quite good, and very clear. One I had a problem with, so I sent it back for warranty the day it reached them they called me and advised me they are sending a replacement. So very happy with their service.

For a 22lr the athlon Argos btr 6x24x50 is a good choice... its FFP if you are into that
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics