using a colometer

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

using a colometer

Post by northdude » 22 Sep 2021, 5:07 pm

hey guys sorry if this has been covered before. when using a colometer to get the scope roughly in the right place do you use the highest lowest or what mag setting on the scope?
cheers
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: using a colometer

Post by Bugman » 22 Sep 2021, 5:16 pm

Do you mean a Collimator?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 22 Sep 2021, 5:27 pm

maybe you put it at the end of the muzzle via a spiggot and when you look through the scope you can see a grid
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Bugman » 22 Sep 2021, 5:32 pm

Thats a bore sighter. No matter what you call it. I bring my scope magnification to it's highest point eg. on my S&B 2.5 -1- x 56 I set the scope to 10x, bore sight it in and then reduce the scope back down to 2.5 and see if there is any shift in the original point of impact. If not then all good for the next stage. Others on this form may have different versions. Have fun.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 22 Sep 2021, 5:40 pm

ok thanks for that it didnt have any instructions ill just put it on one of my rifles that I know is spot on and set the other rifle up the same and then see how itshoots on a target
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by No1_49er » 22 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm

Collimator - boresighter. Same thing.

Shouldn't matter what your scope magnification is set to. In fact, if the scope is any good, you shouldn't see any change on point of impact on the etched screen.
I have a Leupold and a Bushnell - both do the same thing. The Bushnell is an Asian knock-off of the Leupold.
Most important thing to do is; once you've got a zero and confirmed the point of impact on a target, take a note of where the cross-hair sits on the collimator screen. It may not be exactly in the middle but that's of no matter. So long as you have noted that position.
Then, if you take the scope off and put it back on, or even another scope, so long as you dial the scope to that original setting (which may have been off-set) your zero will be spot on.
Handy to put in your hunting kit too. If you have a tumble and suspect that the scope has had a knock, just throw the collimator on and (hopefully) confirm that all is well. If not, it's an easy matter to adjust to your (previously noted) position.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 23 Sep 2021, 8:19 am

No1_49er wrote:Collimator - boresighter. Same thing.

Shouldn't matter what your scope magnification is set to. In fact, if the scope is any good, you shouldn't see any change on point of impact on the etched screen.
I have a Leupold and a Bushnell - both do the same thing. The Bushnell is an Asian knock-off of the Leupold.
Most important thing to do is; once you've got a zero and confirmed the point of impact on a target, take a note of where the cross-hair sits on the collimator screen. It may not be exactly in the middle but that's of no matter. So long as you have noted that position.
Then, if you take the scope off and put it back on, or even another scope, so long as you dial the scope to that original setting (which may have been off-set) your zero will be spot on.
Handy to put in your hunting kit too. If you have a tumble and suspect that the scope has had a knock, just throw the collimator on and (hopefully) confirm that all is well. If not, it's an easy matter to adjust to your (previously noted) position.

Yes. Good advice and info. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 23 Sep 2021, 4:53 pm

thanks for the info. I put it on a rifle I knew was spot on and then set this other rifle up the same. It was miles out.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 6:24 pm

northdude wrote:thanks for the info. I put it on a rifle I knew was spot on and then set this other rifle up the same. It was miles out.

Yep, I don't know why dealers bother using them when they mount scopes.

If you are swapping a scope, or if the rifle has iron sights, hang a laser off the barrel, zero the laser to the current scope or sights, mount the new scope and zero that back to the laser - spot on every time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 Sep 2021, 7:18 pm

I had a LGS use one when I bought a rifle and scope from them and it was way out. Using the old method of looking down the barrel at a object far away and adjusting the scope to that worked much better.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by pomemax » 23 Sep 2021, 8:27 pm

I always use a bore scope gets me On a a4 sheet @ 100 or 50 meters then I sight the scope to the center when I am happy I bore scope again and note down my settings .
I use the Parallax setting for the distance I am setting up at and and add 2 meters roughly seems to work better for me not sure why . But I always set on lowest power then check on Highest If it varies something not right start again
Then I keep the settings on My computer and add new firearms to that then backup on my phone and tablet.
I dont swap from rifle to rifle only time i change them its for a new scope then start at beginning
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics