40 vs 32mm objective lens

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: 40 vs 32mm objective lens

Post by disco stu » 24 Sep 2021, 8:12 pm

I had wondered how they were finding all this. The rules change constantly, hard to interpret, full of contradictions etc. I've heard of a few over the top fines happening here, but the vast majority is just police telling people what to do if they have it wrong.

Wedding anniversary the other day. Went up to restaurant on the look out where our reception was (all closed, road in was closed so we walked). Someone was sleeping out of a pack in the picnic shed, walked up from the bottom. Same idea I had
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Sep 2021, 11:03 pm

Our 44th in a two weeks. I should have been born a Toyota 4x4,,, its been a bumpy ride. :lol: :drinks: :violin:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 24 Sep 2021, 11:10 pm

You've got a few years on us then! More than double

Maybe bumpy but your still going strong.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 25 Sep 2021, 7:23 am

disco stu wrote:Black powder worked great for many years also......

I'm sure that was meant to be a real zinger comeback but for the life of me I can't grasp it's relevance.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 25 Sep 2021, 9:02 am

straightshooter wrote:
disco stu wrote:Black powder worked great for many years also......

I'm sure that was meant to be a real zinger comeback but for the life of me I can't grasp it's relevance.

It certainly wasn't meant to be a "zinger". I'm not a comeback sort of guy, normally just letting things go. Not sure if intended, but your previous comment and this come across antagonistic, especially when you're here replying to what you consider a comeback.

I'll explain the relevance. Your comment was that this thread makes you wonder how you shot so many rabbits over the years with an older/weaker/smaller/cheaper scope, implying something along the lines of "what's the big deal" or "that scope worked fine, why are you wasting energy asking this" or something to that effect.

My "comeback" was trying to draw an analogy to something else that worked fine for many years and achieved it's purpose, but is something that we have improved and moved on from. I could have said points in distributors, piston engines in fighter aircraft, incandescent globes, countless other things, just trying to say that while they were all great, there are better options these days. (Plus they're all things that passionate people love to still play with even though there are other/better options, which I imagine is the case with older scopes also)

I mean, is a 2.5x20 still your scope of choice for this sort of activity these days, or is it just what worked for you at the time? Normal response around optics is pay more, get what you paid for etc etc.

This is all assuming I haven't misinterpreted your original comment, which if I have it would be great if you could correct me

Not sure if you read all the thread, but I'm looking for something versatile in the more budget end, and can't afford to go buying twice since it looks like I'll only be able to work around 4-5 weeks total between now and the end of January given the lockdown. Getting something that will work on other rifles later would be great also. Just trying to make sure I buy right the first time
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 25 Sep 2021, 9:58 am

I friend of mine has just put a Vixen 3-12 x 40 Plex reticle on his Lithgow and from the images he texted me it seems to perform really well. Apparently Japanese made etc.
Anyhow something else for you to consider.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 25 Sep 2021, 10:48 am

Thanks bugman. I've come across them searching for scopes, but have never heard anyone talk about them. Are they new on the market? Price doesn't look overly high for them, especially being Japanese, but it's pushing my budget a bit currently. Parallax fixed at 100yd, but should be able to remove the objective ring and reset that to 50yd or so
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 25 Sep 2021, 1:29 pm

I think they have been around since 2017(?). If the maximum magnification is 12X I would think that you would not have to worry about any parallax error at 50m as I understand anything greater than 12X can present a problem for distances shorter than 100m. I have a couple of Schmidt and Benders and put one a 22 to try it and had no real problem. BUT. I dare say that there are others in this forum that may know a bit more on this, than I know.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 25 Sep 2021, 2:19 pm

Hmmm. Interesting, cheers. The higher magnification would probably only be used at the range or if I throw it onto a larger rifle
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

disco stu wrote:Thanks bugman. I've come across them searching for scopes, but have never heard anyone talk about them. Are they new on the market? Price doesn't look overly high for them, especially being Japanese, but it's pushing my budget a bit currently. Parallax fixed at 100yd, but should be able to remove the objective ring and reset that to 50yd or so

I might try this on a really cheap scope to save tossing it in the bin, but if you're spending a few hundred just buy a scope with side-focus parallax adjustment.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 25 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm

Apparently the ring comes off easily using a strap type clamp. I haven't tried it personally though
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 4:58 pm

disco stu wrote:Apparently the ring comes off easily using a strap type clamp. I haven't tried it personally though

Would you do it to a brand new $500 scope though?
Especially when so many far cheaper scopes offer adjustable parallax already?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 5:01 pm

I forgot to post this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJ10iKzG30

Guy did some very rudimentary testing of ten sub-US$500 scopes.
Far from definitive, but he did see a very marginal difference between 44mm and 50mm objectives in low light.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2021, 5:11 pm

I just set and forget parallax adj.

100 yard for 223
75 yard for 22rf
Pretty STD I think.
For target it matters, but for hunting under 200 yards I have my doubts. But others probably know better.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2021, 5:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I just set and forget parallax adj.

100 yard for 223
75 yard for 22rf
Pretty STD I think.
For target it matters, but for hunting under 200 yards I have my doubts. But others probably know better.

I'd 100% agree with you there,the only time I've wanted adjustable parallax in the last 30 years has been to run my pard nv007 on...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 5:34 pm

100 yard for 223
75 yard for 22rf
Pretty STD I think.

If you have a very consistent cheek weld that places your eye in exactly the same place behind the scope then parallax really won't be relevant, at least not for hunting. Shooting at longer distances or chasing tight groups it becomes far more important.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 5:36 pm

bigpete wrote:

100 yard for 223
75 yard for 22rf
Pretty STD I think.

I'd 100% agree with you there,the only time I've wanted adjustable parallax in the last 30 years has been to run my pard nv007 on...

Does parallax matter with that?
As the unit is fixed in place relevant to the scope I can't see that parallax matters at all as it can never be out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm

Yes,it does. Because you focus the unit on the cross-hairs,then you have to focus the scope on the target
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 25 Sep 2021, 5:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
disco stu wrote:Apparently the ring comes off easily using a strap type clamp. I haven't tried it personally though

Would you do it to a brand new $500 scope though?
Especially when so many far cheaper scopes offer adjustable parallax already?

In all honesty, I probably would! I seem to find myself modifying things all the time. But I do agree with you, why don't they put it on there, even if only half the user base wants it. I believe it's to push people to the higher priced models. When I learned that it's easily adjusted by removing the objective ring, I realised that they could easily make all scopes with adjustable objective which reinforced that opinion that they're keeping it away from lower end models to push customers up to higher price brackets
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 6:01 pm

bigpete wrote:Yes,it does. Because you focus the unit on the cross-hairs,then you have to focus the scope on the target

That sounds more like focus than parallax though?
Parallax is putting the reticle on the same focal plane as the target, so when you move your eye behind the scope the reticle stays fixed on the target.
Does the Pard not work with a fixed-parallax scope if the target is not at its fixed distance?
Have you tried it on a fixed basic 4-power scope?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2021, 6:41 pm

Yes I have,and no its not. You definitely need the adjustable parallax. Its not just about getting the reticle on the same plane,just look at air rifle scopes
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 25 Sep 2021, 6:58 pm

The focus and the parallax go hand in hand I thought. Or should at least if it's reasonable scope. I don't think it is on this mount master I'm looking to replace, but even so the image is fish eyed etc. Still pretty clear though

I'm a perfectionist, so I like to cover all variables. That meant I searched out a scope initially with parallax adjustment. But then pretty much everyone commenting here is much more experienced than I am and most don't rate it as an issue. I'm now thinking it would be nice to have but not a show stopper based on this. I know I can get caught up on the little things
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 26 Sep 2021, 3:27 am

disco stu wrote:Not sure if you read all the thread, but I'm looking for something versatile in the more budget end, and can't afford to go buying twice since it looks like I'll only be able to work around 4-5 weeks total between now and the end of January given the lockdown. Getting something that will work on other rifles later would be great also. Just trying to make sure I buy right the first time

Hi mate, I'd go something like the Bushnell 'Trophy' 4-12x40 with MultiX reticle. Has para adjust and looks very nice and clean. Plus its listed as $275 from Cleavers. Their code is BU754120.

My concern over the AR optics in their range is that unless you go into the illuminated-reticle range (higher price) then you will have a hard time picking the fine line 'Dropzone 223' reticle out in low light or spotlighting conditions.

The Multi-X reticle (thick outer and fine inner) will work much better in low light / spotlight hunting.

It'd be what I'd buy on a $300 budget for anything from a 22LR on up for field use. I use a similar scope (4-12x40 Leupold, non para adjust though) on my 308 and love it.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by disco stu » 26 Sep 2021, 3:56 pm

Thanks boingk. I haven't found the dots hard to see on the AR optics that I have on the 308. But I'll pull it out later on when it's dark and see.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2021, 4:45 pm

disco stu wrote:Thanks boingk. I haven't found the dots hard to see on the AR optics that I have on the 308. But I'll pull it out later on when it's dark and see.

Agreed, I can't make out the target long before I lose the reticle in poor light.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Sep 2021, 5:08 pm

disco stu wrote:Thanks boingk. I haven't found the dots hard to see on the AR optics that I have on the 308. But I'll pull it out later on when it's dark and see.

Yes, that's the best time to test or compare scopes
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 26 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm

Reticle preformed better than I expected. On lowest power could see it against tree (the leaves, not trunk) where I couldn't make out any detail at all. Against lighter color tree trunk it was even better. With a bit of light shining against something from neighbors back lights it was quite good. High power not as good, as expected
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 26 Sep 2021, 9:02 pm

If we are talking about a CHEAP scope on a cheap .22LR just for RABBIT shooting then anyone who thinks a 12x scope or more is actually needed with a big 40mm or more lens should go lay down on a couch in front of a licenced professional.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by disco stu » 26 Sep 2021, 9:20 pm

Sit down in front of licensed professional shooter? :D
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 26 Sep 2021, 9:45 pm

disco man wrote:Reticle preformed better than I expected.

There's your answer then. Now follow your heart. :mrgreen:
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics