Recommendations on a Scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Recommendations on a Scope

Post by Nato » 05 Oct 2021, 9:00 pm

Hi Guys

Im going for a Tikka T3X Lite S/S chambered in .223 and would like some recommendations please on what brand of scopes are good quality. I have a Vortex 4.5-20x50 BDC on my other rifle but wanted to put feelers out there for anything else that is just as good or better.

I was initially looking at a ZeroTech believing that they were an Aussie made scope but I have learned it seems to be a rebranded chinese scope so not as keen anymore.

I heard good things about Bushnell, Leupold and Meopta scopes however my local gun dealer seems to have no current stock of Leupold and Meopta scopes.

Keen to hear some wisdom :)
Nato
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Recommendations on a Scope

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2021, 10:19 pm

Nato wrote:Hi Guys

Im going for a Tikka T3X Lite S/S chambered in .223 and would like some recommendations please on what brand of scopes are good quality. I have a Vortex 4.5-20x50 BDC on my other rifle but wanted to put feelers out there for anything else that is just as good or better.

I was initially looking at a ZeroTech believing that they were an Aussie made scope but I have learned it seems to be a rebranded chinese scope so not as keen anymore.

I heard good things about Bushnell, Leupold and Meopta scopes however my local gun dealer seems to have no current stock of Leupold and Meopta scopes.

First up tell your local bloke to get up to speed.

I personally hate Bushnell and Tasco.

Some good brands (not in any order of preference) are,,,,,, Meopta, GPO (german precision optics), Leupold, Zeiss, Nightforce, S+B,,,,,,,,,,
The list goes on and on,,,, depending on what type (day or night) (hunting or target),,,, and how much you want to spend.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bah! » 05 Oct 2021, 10:34 pm

I have both the meopro 6-18x50 and the 4-12x50 for a 223. The only other thing I regret not buying is the Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10X50 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2021, 11:05 pm

"I heard good things about Bushnell, Leupold and Meopta scopes however my local gun dealer seems to have no current stock of Leupold and Meopta scopes."

Bushnell make cheap, good and great scopes. All about cost. The elite are ok. But forget the cheaper ones. Not much in it but I think the Leopold are probably a tad better though. Vortex have a good rep and good value.

Magnification is more dependent on use and likely environment. All my rifles have 3-9×40s. All used for general hunting. I don't do targets.

I do have a tasco 2-7×30.while it did the job I wouldn't buy another.

I also have 2 sightrons great value. Very happy with them.
You do generally get what you pay for.

A similar thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15930
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bman940 » 06 Oct 2021, 4:05 am

I have said it many times, Meopta! Trmendous value in quality over price. The Optika5 4-20 would be perfect for your shooting needs on a .223. It preserves the clean low profile look of your rifle and keep the weight down. A 30mm option would be the Optika6 3-18x50 in FFP/SFP.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 06 Oct 2021, 6:02 am

Everyone will have their own personal preference however I find it’s hard to go past Meopta mate. Good value for money, I have several.
Also have a few Leupold and they are great, albeit more expensive. You do get a lifetime warranty with them though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 06 Oct 2021, 7:51 am

Yes. As I have said before, the Meopta scopes are excellent value for money .
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Oct 2021, 8:36 am

It's all about the Warranty, mate, just like a car. Dealer service; that kind of thing. Sooner or later, something goes wrong with them, even the poisonously expensive March, so I have read.
Some have better Warranties than others. Some have to go overseas to be fixed, involving a waiting period. Some Warranties are for a fixed period, all need reading between the lines.
FWIW, I have a Leupold on order.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bello » 06 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm

Hi mate
I have a tad more expensive scopes with a little more magnification.
Why you ask.
Well as time goes by I find that I NEED more magnification to see things better... :lol:
I have Swarovski, Leupold Schmidt and Bender the list goes on.. :crazy:

I would recommend Leupold. They are good scopes, and if anything goes wrong with it, NIOA in Queensland can have it fixed in a jiffy.
I find my Swarovski to be really clear. Good scopes.

I did have some cheaper scopes in the past, but with the upgrades over the years I am content with my scopes now.
What's the saying.. buy once cry once
good luck :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 06 Oct 2021, 8:33 pm

Of my company's 25 rifles used by my staff when shooting professionally, all but 4 have Leupold scopes on them. And all my personal rifles have Leupold.

The 3 that don't have either Zeiss or Nightforce.

I am not including air rifles in the count or those with red dot, laser or NVG.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 07 Oct 2021, 4:58 am

Leupold VX3 as a minimum for me. I’ve tried other stuff, bushnell are good value for money at the cheaper end . I had a meopta meopro, good scope, but heavy. Meopta have a big eye box which is a consideration for bolt clearance on some rifles. The optics of the meopro are not as good as a vx3 loopy to my eyes. The meostar is very good.
I’ve had a few vx freedom scopes from leupold, the optics are good for the money but the cheap turrets leave a lot to be desired
All my rifles wear leupold scopes of vx3 spec at least. I can’t really pick the difference to more expensive scopes like Swarovski in the optics.
These are my personal experiences , leupold also have the lifetime warranty as well. Actually I sent a 3-9 vx3 to nioa to have the parallax changed to 65 yards for my rimfire. Ya don’t get that sort of after sales service from other scope brands to my knowledge
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Oct 2021, 7:20 am

My recommendation is Nightforce. They make brilliant scopes.

I have to say that Leupold do have an excellent warranty. I bought a fixed power competition Leupold in 1988 off a friend secondhand. I couple of years ago the focus ring stopped moving so I sent it to the Leupold service centre run by NIOA who fixed it no questions asked. Not bad for a 30 year old scope where I was not the original purchaser.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 08 Oct 2021, 8:34 am

Hi SCJ429

QUOTE "I have to say that Leupold do have an excellent warranty. I bought a fixed power competition Leupold in 1988 off a friend secondhand. I couple of years ago the focus ring stopped moving so I sent it to the Leupold service centre run by NIOA who fixed it no questions asked. Not bad for a 30 year old scope where I was not the original purchaser.[/quote]

I can say, that I have had similar experiences with the people at NIOA and Leupold scopes.
They are easy do deal with, and helpful, in my case.
One of my issues was a little interesting, but they resolved it in my favor and I was as happy as Larry.
That's one of the reasons I say Leupold, service is in QLD and NIOA are good to deal with. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 11 Oct 2021, 7:31 pm

Nato wrote:Hi Guys

Nato,
it all comes down to how much you are budgeting for a scope and also what your intended use is for the scope/rifle combo?

Any reputable make of scope with a dealer - importer back-up / warranty should serve you well .

For a general hunting 223 a 3-9 x 40 or 2.5-10x40 - or similar based on a 1-inch tube will do nicely.

I have used most scopes on the market - from the budget scope lines up to the Zeiss V8 - and everything in between - and you always get what you pay for.
But now and then you get some scopes that punch above their weight and price point

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics