GSCI S-675

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

GSCI S-675

Post by MrMaggoo » 11 Oct 2021, 2:20 pm

After reading a number of threads , I have noticed a few blokes have the GSCI Thermals. I am about to up date my pulsar trail 2 ( throw it in the bin) and get a S-675.
How are these scopes holding up in the paddock and do you miss the little features some other brands have , LRF, Picture in Picture etc. I am a professional dog trapper and do a lot of night shooting of all feral’s. I really need something that is reliable and keeps it’s POI . Thanks for you time and help
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: GSCI S-675

Post by Blr243 » 11 Oct 2021, 10:20 pm

I have a trail for years and no poi issues Instead of throwing it in your bin can u please throw it in mine ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 11 Oct 2021, 10:51 pm

MrMaggoo wrote:After reading a number of threads , I have noticed a few blokes have the GSCI Thermals. I am about to up date my pulsar trail 2 ( throw it in the bin) and get a S-675.
How are these scopes holding up in the paddock and do you miss the little features some other brands have , LRF, Picture in Picture etc. I am a professional dog trapper and do a lot of night shooting of all feral’s. I really need something that is reliable and keeps it’s POI . Thanks for you time and help

Hi Mate, I may have talked to you earlier?? If so you have my comments re the loss of zero and the quality of the image. they have served me well for all the years they have been around.
As mentioned we have gone right away from Pulsar and all their past and present problems.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by scoot » 12 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm

I've had one for a bit and it's been good. It's my first so I can't comment on how it compares in functionality to others. I "think" gsci now do an add on lrf for $$$$ though which could be an option if you need it. I find the interface fast and quite intuitive but again I don't have anything else to compare to.
Niteowls a good bloke and has a heap of no b.s. knowledge, brinny also has a tonne of experience in field.
If there's anything in particular you want to know I'll try and help.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MrMaggoo » 12 Oct 2021, 5:42 pm

Thanks for your help and advice with this. It’s a lot of money and I really don’t want to make a mistake again
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 12 Oct 2021, 6:35 pm

Tis a lot of cash. There's very little "propoganda" out around gsci and as much as I searched the only negatives anywhere were the price.
I looked at it was this. Pay gsci money and get something thats very likely great.
or
pay pulsar money (still a bucket load) and maybe regret it.
From your original post I gather your frustration with the trail is high. I hate nothing more than being let down by gear you pay a premium on and rely on. Especially the dance that surrounds support and warranties.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MrMaggoo » 12 Oct 2021, 6:56 pm

scoot wrote:Tis a lot of cash. There's very little "propoganda" out around gsci and as much as I searched the only negatives anywhere were the price.
I looked at it was this. Pay gsci money and get something thats very likely great.
or
pay pulsar money (still a bucket load) and maybe regret it.
From your original post I gather your frustration with the trail is high. I hate nothing more than being let down by gear you pay a premium on and rely on. Especially the dance that surrounds support and warranties.

That is so true, you are expected to deliver but when your gear lets you down , it’s not good for you and your reputation or your client and it would just sound pathetic blaming your gear
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 13 Oct 2021, 11:37 am

MrMaggoo wrote:After reading a number of threads , I have noticed a few blokes have the GSCI Thermals. I am about to up date my pulsar trail 2 ( throw it in the bin) and get a S-675.

Want to enlighten us as to what the trail was doing for you to toss it in the bin??
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MrMaggoo » 13 Oct 2021, 9:38 pm

brinny wrote:

Want to enlighten us as to what the trail was doing for you to toss it in the bin??

The first year of using the trail was awesome, you wouldn’t think twice about 200 m+ shots. Then I was was doing a roo job and after about 20 I started missing longer shots , by the time I got to about 30 roo’s I couldn’t even hit one 30 m away.. Went through the one shot zero which took 10 shots or more to get it close to zero . It was over 300mm out at 50m . Now this would happen every time you did a shoot. It was alright for the first shot after sighting it in after that you just didn’t know what it was going to do . Sometimes shoot straight most of the time it was time to go home again. Tried multiable factory resets which would work for a little while then the POI would move again . After 8 months of this and I have now cracked it
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ferrisweil » 13 Oct 2021, 10:17 pm

For what it’s worth mate, I used the trail for 12 months and had the same issues. Swapped to a Thermion and haven’t had a prob since….
Touchwood but it’s worked flawlessly for a long time now
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 14 Oct 2021, 5:47 am

MrMaggoo wrote:
brinny wrote:

The first year of using the trail was awesome, you wouldn’t think twice about 200 m+ shots. Then I was was doing a roo job and after about 20 I started missing longer shots , by the time I got to about 30 roo’s I couldn’t even hit one 30 m away.. Went through the one shot zero which took 10 shots or more to get it close to zero . It was over 300mm out at 50m . Now this would happen every time you did a shoot. It was alright for the first shot after sighting it in after that you just didn’t know what it was going to do . Sometimes shoot straight most of the time it was time to go home again. Tried multiable factory resets which would work for a little while then the POI would move again . After 8 months of this and I have now cracked it

I feel your pain mate....i have had quite a few Pulsar thermals and have been through all the above as well.....Spent more time at my range wasting heaps of time and ammo trying this and that out that they told me to do....until like you i cracked it with them and sent them back and got my money back....
In answer to your original question....I have been using the GSCI S675 for a number of years now and it has worked flawlessly for me...
Those that know me can vouch for the number of foxes i take each year....and its a lot.....
Sure it doesnt have all the bells and whistles that the Pulsars have, but at the end of the day, im more interested in a scope that does what i want and need it to do....not be second guessing every time i go out if its going to hold POI...nor do i have to go to my range and check zero before i go out every time...
They cost a tad more , sure, but at the end of the day, having a reliable bit of gear that you can count on far outweighs the extra cost...and going through all the s**t with the alternative.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 14 Oct 2021, 7:46 am

Bells and whistles aren't always a good thing sometimes. I find 90% of the time I do a quick 10 second tweak on start up to get the best picture then I spend the rest of the night only ever touching focus for occasionally, black/white hot (one button) occasionally. There's a bunch off stuff on it I never use. K.I.S.S. it does the job it was designed to do. No more no less.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MrMaggoo » 14 Oct 2021, 7:50 am

Thanks guys for you help. I have looked at the Thermion but the only question I have with them is the battery life , some nights I might be out almost all night. Not that the scope is on for all that time.
A few people suggested the GSCI but getting information about them is really hard, very few YouTube, no one I know with on to see what it is like. A lot of my work is in Airports, in town or on the edge of town so after having thermal and just that piece of mind knowing you can see what people are lurking around , you would never go back to NV but being 100% sure of where you projectile ends up would be so good
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 14 Oct 2021, 8:11 am

The battery in the Trails is one thing that Pulsar has over the GSCIs.....I like the battery and the battery life you get out of it in the Trails.....The GSCIs have two 123A batteries in them....
I do a fair bit on the wild dogs also up the high country, and will sit out all night waiting for them to show up ....but when on the dogs, i dont turn the scope on until i spot something....The GSCIs is almost instant start up....
When i do all nighters on the foxes, whole different ball game, scopes on all the time.....as unlike the dogs, they are plentiful and can show up at any time.... i do have to change batteries over to get the full night in....

I think the only thing that really has turned people away from the GSCIs in the past is the dollars they cost.....
The amount of messages i got in asking about them was unreal....but as soon as they found out how much they were, most lost interest instantly.....
Most wanting a "good cheap" thermal....and we all know there is no such thing....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 14 Oct 2021, 9:33 am

Here is a bit of footage i took with my S675 some time ago down at my range in the daytime....
I had fitted an external GSCI recorder to it and was trying it out...
I have it on my Sako 204 and was shooting mainly at a rock at 130m ...
First shot took the top off the rock...the other shots looked like they were going high, hitting the exact same spot but ricochet off the top of the rock where it broke off into the heap behind...
second shot was into a target at 100 of a bit of inch by inch alfoil on a backing board....

https://youtu.be/SDSKRGVgZbM
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Oct 2021, 11:48 am

brinny wrote:The battery in the Trails is one thing that Pulsar has over the GSCIs.....I like the battery and the battery life you get out of it in the Trails.....The GSCIs have two 123A batteries in them....
I do a fair bit on the wild dogs also up the high country, and will sit out all night waiting for them to show up ....but when on the dogs, i dont turn the scope on until i spot something....The GSCIs is almost instant start up....
When i do all nighters on the foxes, whole different ball game, scopes on all the time.....as unlike the dogs, they are plentiful and can show up at any time.... i do have to change batteries over to get the full night in....

I think the only thing that really has turned people away from the GSCIs in the past is the dollars they cost.....
The amount of messages i got in asking about them was unreal....but as soon as they found out how much they were, most lost interest instantly.....
Most wanting a "good cheap" thermal....and we all know there is no such thing....

As a lot of you already know,, I spend all night dusk till dawn, and sort of specialize in the "dogs"

I have two Pulsar CORE FXQ 50s, and they run (as standard) the two CR123A batteries, which usually only last 4 hrs.
But the plug that comes with my units allows an external battery to be used.
It plugs in to where the CR123A batteries normally sit, and with a 1 meter cord.
I use battery packs from Office Works,,,,,, and each one of these powers both thermal units (turned on constantly) for two full nights of hunting
before either of them need to be recharged.

If the GSCI S-675 runs the same CR123A batteries you should be able to get the same plug and lead that I have,, and forget the CR123A batteries.
With the 1 meter cord, I just lay the battery packs alongside the rifles or put in my shirt pocket. :thumbsup:

And,,,,, FWIW,,,, The FXQ 50's dont have any of the POI issues that the Thermions, Trails, do.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 14 Oct 2021, 12:04 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
brinny wrote:The battery in the Trails is one thing that Pulsar has over the GSCIs.....I like the battery and the battery life you get out of it in the Trails.....The GSCIs have two 123A batteries in them....

As a lot of you already know,, I spend all night dusk till dawn, and sort of specialize in the "dogs"

I have two Pulsar CORE FXQ 50s, and they run (as standard) the two CR123A batteries, which usually only last 4 hrs.
It plugs in to where the CR123A batteries normally sit, and with a 1 meter cord.
I use battery packs from Office Works,,,,,, and each one of these powers both thermal units (turned on constantly) for two full nights of hunting

If the GSCI S-675 runs the same CR123A batteries you should be able to get the same plug and lead that I have,, and forget the CR123A batteries.
With the 1 meter cord, I just lay the battery packs alongside the rifles or put in my shirt pocket. :thumbsup:

And,,,,, FWIW,,,, The FXQ 50's dont have any of the POI issues that the Thermions, Trails, do.

GSCI gear will run on external power from 5 to 15 volts. If you can put up with a cable. They come with the required cable.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MrMaggoo » 14 Oct 2021, 1:13 pm

You definitely get what you pay for most of the time, thanks for the you tube link
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 14 Oct 2021, 1:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Yep...got all the leads etc to run external power source to my 675....but choose not to go that way as i cant stand leads and plugs getting in the way....personal choice....went through all that crap with my original Pulsar scope....an Apex XD75....had an external battery pack as well as an external recorder on it...

I buy my 123 batteries in bulk in lots of 100 off Ebay...They are Panasonic lithiums at $2.15ea delivered....
Shoot a dog a night and the $120 bounty far outweighs the $4.30 it costs for batteries....Same with foxes....even at $10 a night for batteries, take 10-15 foxes a night at $10 bounty each again well and truly covers costs and them some....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Oct 2021, 3:06 pm

That is the most awesome XD75 setup I've seen. Must have been one of the first ones in Victoria.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by brinny » 14 Oct 2021, 7:01 pm

mchughcb wrote:That is the most awesome XD75 setup I've seen. Must have been one of the first ones in Victoria.

Unsure if that was the case mate....it was about 6 years ago from memory when i bought it....so really dont know how many was getting around down here then.
I bought the battery pack and a Yukon CVR-640 recorder with it...The recorder didnt last long so i bought the GSCI recorder and fitted it up to the scope, along with the battery pack...
The scope lasted about 18 months before it failed....shutters stuck shut when calibrating and wouldnt release....I was on a trip some 3 hours from home so that was pretty handy.....
I found a better pic in the archives.....

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Oct 2021, 8:13 pm

I can see why you were unhappy about the cables flopping about everywhere.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm

Brinney,,,,,,,,,,,
I see what you mean when it comes to your cables.
I reckon if you stayed set up long enough in spring time, a bird would build a nest in amongst it.

I only have the one single cable and it's very unobtrusive.

Once set up for the night I slip the battery pack in a narrow pocket built in just underneath the bench rest on my shooting rig.
Once in its place, I don't even see the glow of the little "on light of the battery pack",,,,, and the rifle end of the cable lays
flat on the carpeted bench top, so I don't even notice that it's there.

100_5957.JPG
100_5957.JPG (617.78 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
100_5964.JPG
100_5964.JPG (714.23 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Last edited by Die Judicii on 15 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 15 Oct 2021, 2:11 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Brinney,,,,,,,,,,,
I see what you mean when it comes to your cables.
I reckon if you stayed set up long enough in spring time, a bird would build a nest in amongst it.

I only have the one single cable and it's very unobtrusive.

Once set up for the night I slip the battery pack in a narrow pocket built in just underneath the bench rest on my shooting rig.
Once in its place, I don't even see the glow of the little "on light of the battery pack",,,,, and the rifle end of the cable lays
flat on the carpeted bench top, so I don't even notice that it's there.

100_5957.JPG

Bare in mind of course that the scope with all the cables hanging off it was the old Pulsar Apex XD75 i used to run.....
Your setup looks neat but for the life of me i cant get used to the size (length) of the scope with the clip on on it.....
Can see the advantages of them being that its the actual scope sighted in, not the clip on...therefore loosing POI would be rare apart from giving it a big knock....but hell that looks bulky.....
As i mentioned....its just a personal choice not to run cables and battery packs on my GSCI....
The scope does come with the cable, as per pic, to run such things...
The cable thats supplied is 1500 long, so there is certainly flexibility for moving around if thats the way the user wants to go....

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2021, 2:59 pm

Heh, Yeah, It certainly looks long, but as all of my hunting is over my rigs bench,,, it is no different to benchrest at a range in effect.
Once set up and actually using it the overall length of the unit is not even noticed.
The visual effect of the length is exacerbated, when it's on the 300 Blackout which of course is short to start with.

100_5960.JPG
100_5960.JPG (590.1 KiB) Viewed 5717 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 15 Oct 2021, 5:07 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Heh, Yeah, It certainly looks long, but as all of my hunting is over my rigs bench,,, it is no different to benchrest at a range in effect.
Once set up and actually using it the overall length of the unit is not even noticed.
The visual effect of the length is exacerbated, when it's on the 300 Blackout which of course is short to start with.

100_5960.JPG

Wouldnt mind seeing some pics of your rig and how you have it setup....
But not keen on highjacking MrMaggoos thread either....
Has there been a thread started with hunting rigs as the topic in the past that i can look at or add too?....I dont get on here that much as i cant stand all the adds ....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2021, 7:13 pm

brinny wrote:
Has there been a thread started with hunting rigs as the topic in the past that i can look at or add too?....I dont get on here that much as i cant stand all the adds ....

Yeah, Apologies Mr Maggoo.

PM coming Brinny
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by MrMaggoo » 16 Oct 2021, 6:07 am

Die Judicii wrote:
brinny wrote:

PM coming Brinny

No need to apologise it’s good seeing other set up’s. Bit the bullet put a order in for the S-675 today ,thanks for all the information.
So hijack away or even start a new thread on scope set ups !!!
MrMaggoo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 16 Oct 2021, 10:11 am

MrMaggoo wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
brinny wrote:

PM coming Brinny

No need to apologise it’s good seeing other set up’s. Bit the bullet put a order in for the S-675 today ,thanks for all the information.
So hijack away or even start a new thread on scope set ups !!!

My apology too for getting off topic MrMcgoo......but good to see you have gone down that path...
As a S675 owner, i can tell you you wont be disappointed in your choice......
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 16 Oct 2021, 10:50 am

:thumbsup: Good stuff. Let us know your thoughts and impressions once you get set up. Might help alleviate some people's hesitation when looking to purchase.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics