rotating a rifle scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

rotating a rifle scope

Post by bigrich » 29 Oct 2021, 9:02 pm

hey fellas , got a technical question for ya's . now i've got a sako 85 , and although it ejects successfully with a 3.5-10 leupold , with a 2.5-8 it does not . even with the 3-10 the 270 cases contact the bottom of the scope , but with the 2-8 they hit the turret and fall back in the chamber . i've read up on the fixes, and i came across one on africa hunting net . turn the scope 90 degrees to the left . no turrets in the way . you have to write down the changes to make adjustments to save confusion . i've already tried this and no ejection issues at all . but my local GS guy reckons they won't hold zero . but apparently this turning to the scope left thing is used by left handed shooters and big game hunters in africa and alaska .

any thoughts, veiws or experience with this :unknown:

cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: rotating a rifle scope

Post by deye243 » 29 Oct 2021, 9:08 pm

Forget the gs bloke and just do it if it works good .
Just remember windage is elevation and elevation is windage
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Oct 2021, 10:49 pm

Put the 3.5-10 leupold on and post the
2.5-8 to me. See problem fixed. :D

Always happy to give great advice. :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 30 Oct 2021, 5:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:Put the 3.5-10 leupold on and post the
2.5-8 to me. See problem fixed. :D

Always happy to give great advice. :drinks:

good on ya :roll:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2021, 6:07 am

Since I'm one of the good guys I'll even pay for postage. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 30 Oct 2021, 10:08 am

While I've never tried it and have less experience with scopes than you do, I reckon the gun shop guy is full of it. Just thinking about the physics of it, if it wouldnt hold zero from doing that then how is the scope ever going to handle recoil from various rifles, lay sideways in a car while going over bumpy dirt roads etc. It would have to be stored and shipped upright at all times etc. Their scopes are better than that.

Have a look at how they set up the adjustment of reticle tube and you'll see that gravity doesn't come into it. It's basically springs opposing the turrets

It would also mean you could never shoot your rifle "gangsta" style-hold your rifle sideways when hunting so you look cool in tv shows and to all your friends, while trying to intimidate the deer or goat you want to shoot. Leupold would never want to piss off their large hunting gangster customer base (yes, this is all tongue in cheek if it isn't obvious)
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Oct 2021, 11:35 am

disco stu wrote:While I've never tried it and have less experience with scopes than you do, I reckon the gun shop guy is full of it. Just thinking about the physics of it, if it wouldnt hold zero from doing that then how is the scope ever going to handle recoil from various rifles, lay sideways in a car while going over bumpy dirt roads etc. It would have to be stored and shipped upright at all times etc. Their scopes are better than that.

Have a look at how they set up the adjustment of reticle tube and you'll see that gravity doesn't come into it. It's basically springs opposing the turrets

It would also mean you could never shoot your rifle "gangsta" style-hold your rifle sideways when hunting so you look cool in tv shows and to all your friends, while trying to intimidate the deer or goat you want to shoot. Leupold would never want to piss off their large hunting gangster customer base (yes, this is all tongue in cheek if it isn't obvious)

yeah , that's what i thought . i'm just looking for feedback from fellas who have done this , just to find out if there are any negatives to going down this path . once i'm zeroed in , i don't play with the turrets . i set up to be 2.5" high at 100 yards with 270, that'll cover me for the hunting ranges i shoot at :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 30 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm

Have you considered a left handed scope? Or maybe turning it back to front :D
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm

disco stu wrote:Have you considered a left handed scope? Or maybe turning it back to front :D

no , but i've considered trading my sako 85 for a earlier L61 finnbear . they eject straight out the side and i won't have to rotate the scope ...... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2021, 2:17 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas , got a technical question for ya's . now i've got a sako 85 , and although it ejects successfully with a 3.5-10 leupold , with a 2.5-8 it does not . even with the 3-10 the 270 cases contact the bottom of the scope , but with the 2-8 they hit the turret and fall back in the chamber . i've read up on the fixes, and i came across one on africa hunting net . turn the scope 90 degrees to the left . no turrets in the way . you have to write down the changes to make adjustments to save confusion . i've already tried this and no ejection issues at all . but my local GS guy reckons they won't hold zero . but apparently this turning to the scope left thing is used by left handed shooters and big game hunters in africa and alaska .

any thoughts, veiws or experience with this :unknown:

cheers

Yep, works just fine. Some long-range scopes might have limited windage, meaning limited elevation when you turn it 90-degrees. You might have to do some shimming in that case but I think you'll be fine, and it doesn't hurt to try it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2021, 6:33 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 30 Oct 2021, 7:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote::D

https://youtu.be/cP0rU2780O4

:drinks:

i clicked on that link ,my god OB , what have you been smoking :P :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2021, 8:18 pm

bigrich wrote:
Oldbloke wrote::D

https://youtu.be/cP0rU2780O4

:drinks:

i clicked on that link ,my god OB , what have you been smoking :P :lol:

Hey dude, don't worry.
Just dont forget to post that scope. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2021, 11:10 pm

Might be either too simple or too silly or successful,,,,,,
but have you considered trying a "higher" set of rings, and maybe avoiding the impact of the casings ?
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 5:26 am

Die Judicii wrote:Might be either too simple or too silly or successful,,,,,,
but have you considered trying a "higher" set of rings, and maybe avoiding the impact of the casings ?
:unknown:

cases eject at around 75 degrees out of my rifle . i'd need a neck like a giraffe to shoot it with high enough mounts . i've researched the problem extensively . i'll have to take my sako 85's to a smith to try a combination of extractor mods, and a heavier extractor spring seems to help as well . they moved the ejector from the side like mausers, mod 70's , ruger 77's, and put it at the bottom of the action to allow for the three lug bolt introduced in the sako 75's . earlier sako's from the "A" series back have their ejectors in the left side of the receiver like a mauser, and reliably eject every time straight out the side of the action

i've sort of solved the problem however, i bought a L61R finnbear from rebel gun works yesterday in 30-06 . :D was built up by their gun smith with a really nice custom stock . i got a few finishing touches planned , but it solves my problem :lol: scroll down rebel's home page to have a look. if i can't solve ejection issues my 85's are going . well , i'll probably keep the 9.3x62 with express sights . i was going to use that with opens in big game comps at my local club :P

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Oct 2021, 8:02 am

Rich, Do u have any load data or info that may help me as I’m about to become a new 270 owner ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 31 Oct 2021, 12:48 pm

You definitely live up to your name
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 12:59 pm

bigpete wrote:You definitely live up to your name

how so pete ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 1:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:Rich, Do u have any load data or info that may help me as I’m about to become a new 270 owner ?

depends what your going for . as a all rounder i use 150 sst with 55.5 gn re22 . average shoots 3/4" at 100 . 150 sst's expand well on lighter stuff with enough weight for heavier stuff . they can cause a lot of damage with larger body weight, more resistance for expansion . 140 nosler bt's for lighter stuff, with bonded accubonds if you were going to shoot boar or reds . i like 270's :D

haven't gotten around to trying 2209 , cause re22 works so well . got a bit left from playing around with swedes . i've also gotten outstanding accuracy in 243's shooting 95 gn projectiles with re22 as well it can burn dirty like 2206h does in other rifles but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 31 Oct 2021, 3:04 pm

bigrich wrote:

how so pete ?

Multiple sakos
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 3:51 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

how so pete ?

Multiple sakos

Worked hard all my life, finally getting to enjoy the fruits of my labour from a life on the tools
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 31 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

I've done it before and it works doesn't matter what's written on the adjuster knobs. Obviously the one at the top adjusts up and down and the one on the side adjusts left and right...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 5:41 pm

northdude wrote:I've done it before and it works doesn't matter what's written on the adjuster knobs. Obviously the one at the top adjusts up and down and the one on the side adjusts left and right...

so there hasn't been any quirks or shifting point of zero with doing this ND ? that's good news :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 31 Oct 2021, 6:47 pm

bigrich wrote:
northdude wrote:I've done it before and it works doesn't matter what's written on the adjuster knobs. Obviously the one at the top adjusts up and down and the one on the side adjusts left and right...

so there hasn't been any quirks or shifting point of zero with doing this ND ? that's good news :D

obviously you'll need to sight it in. I cant see how it would loose zero if it didn't before might look a bit weird if its got the dots on the vertical crosshair tho and you turn it 90deg
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2021, 7:37 pm

northdude wrote:
bigrich wrote:

obviously you'll need to sight it in. I cant see how it would loose zero if it didn't before might look a bit weird if its got the dots on the vertical crosshair tho and you turn it 90deg

You will definitely have to re-zero.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Oct 2021, 7:41 pm

Thanks rich. I’ll more than likely start with factory ppu ammo its 24 bucks a box ....and seeing I mostly want a 270 for flat shooting I’m looking at 90 weight pills Probably speers
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 8:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:
bigrich wrote:

You will definitely have to re-zero.

yes , absolutely have to re zero .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2021, 8:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks rich. I’ll more than likely start with factory ppu ammo its 24 bucks a box ....and seeing I mostly want a 270 for flat shooting I’m looking at 90 weight pills Probably speers

haven't played with light weights in mine mate . off the top of my head i think 2208 works

130 weight handloads shouldn't be discounted . depends on use :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Nov 2021, 3:30 pm

I did this with my M70 Winchester, to make absolutely sure of loading the magazine in a hurry. Did not even try it in the conventional position, so could have been overly pessimistic. However, once it is re-zeroed, you can forget about it. It will stay put.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Nov 2021, 7:00 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I did this with my M70 Winchester, to make absolutely sure of loading the magazine in a hurry. Did not even try it in the conventional position, so could have been overly pessimistic. However, once it is re-zeroed, you can forget about it. It will stay put.

thanks for the feedback WM , and all you other fellas as well . puts my mind at ease , i'm too OCD about stuff at times :roll: :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics