Cheek risers

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Cheek risers

Post by Ruin » 19 Dec 2021, 8:25 am

Hi
I’ve noticed a lot of people shooting scoped rifles without cheek risers. Are they necessary for accuracy or are they just not preferred.
Ruin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Cheek risers

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2021, 9:39 am

Ruin wrote:Hi
I’ve noticed a lot of people shooting scoped rifles without cheek risers. Are they necessary for accuracy or are they just not preferred.

If you are target shooting at fixed distances they give you a more consistent head position. I think it's preferred but can add complexity if you are shooting at different distances, especially with low-velocity cartridges. I have rifles with the scope up to 90mm above bore axis so I don't bother chasing cheekwelds.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Dec 2021, 3:52 pm

Most combs are too low for proper cheek yeald, especially stocks that have been designed around open sights.
An adjustable comb makes finding the sight picture faster, gives better pressure consistency against the stock which equals better shooting consistency, makes holding a sight picture more comfortable which also improves accuracy, consistency and endurance.
I think their the bees knees
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2021, 5:04 pm

I'm convinced they help. I just DIY mine. About 12mm, just enough to help.

But why would you make and sell a rifle with no open sights designed for a scope yet with a very low comb? But, that's how many are these days. Cost I guess.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics