Do Range Finders work with spotlights

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Do Range Finders work with spotlights

Post by madang55 » 23 Dec 2021, 12:26 am

Do Range Finders work with spotlights? Red, green, white?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Do Range Finders work with spotlights

Post by deye243 » 23 Dec 2021, 12:58 am

Yes I use mine with white light
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 23 Dec 2021, 3:11 am

Cool. Have you been able to try it with any other colours? I have a Z with changeable lenzes and am hoping that the RF i buy will work with all the colours.
Cheers
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 6:39 am

I thoughtlight had nothing todo with it ? I have a red beam and a range finder. I will try it tonight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 23 Dec 2021, 6:55 am

Shouldn't matter what spotlight you're using, or even in the dark (disregarding being able to read the numbers). Range finder works by shooting out a laser beam (in a wavelength we can't see) that bounces off the object and gets reflected back
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 23 Dec 2021, 7:39 am

disco stu wrote:Shouldn't matter what spotlight you're using, or even in the dark (disregarding being able to read the numbers). Range finder works by shooting out a laser beam (in a wavelength we can't see) that bounces off the object and gets reflected back

Yeah.....but........before I hand the money over, if you are able to do that test for me and confirm that red spots are ok, I can be a happy self Christmas present buyer. If there is a problem, will probably still get one, I will just have to readjust my modus operandi. It will be nice to know for sure
Cheers
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 23 Dec 2021, 7:40 am

Blr243 wrote:I thoughtlight had nothing todo with it ? I have a red beam and a range finder. I will try it tonight

Sorry, You are doing the test, love your work
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Dec 2021, 3:31 pm

madang55 wrote:Cool. Have you been able to try it with any other colours? I have a Z with changeable lenzes and am hoping that the RF i buy will work with all the colours.
Cheers

Not yet
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 4:00 pm

In case u have not already researched it , red works better in the field than green ..I have tested it against feral pigs ( when I say works better I mean in relation to the pigs detecting colours, getting scared and running away prior to getting a chance to shoot) Green illuminates your target better. U can see pigs much clearer in green light but in my experience they are off in a flash. Send me a pm after dark tonight reminding me to do the test with the range finder
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 23 Dec 2021, 5:12 pm

Technically, if it works in daytime it should work with any visible spotlight (disregarding the fact the range finder emits it's own laser beam that it uses to measure distance). The colors from the sun we have in daytime include any and all of the visible colors mixed together.

Is there a sticker on your rangefinder that states the wavelength of light it uses? From memory mine uses 940nm. For reference visible light goes from about 400nm for blue up to around 700nm for red. Below 400 is into UV, and above 700 is infra red
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm

I tried red head lamps and white headlamps tonight and there was no difference in accuracy readings
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 23 Dec 2021, 10:56 pm

A shopping i will go, a shopping i will go. Heh heh heh, new toy!!!!
Thank you very much. By the way if the wife catches me, its your fault
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 29 Dec 2021, 9:05 pm

Seems that yes they do work at night, with a spotlight. HOWEVER.......
get one with a bright LED display. Will make life a WHOLE LOT EASIER
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2021, 9:39 pm

I set up personal Po box that only I know about .. so when I get delivery of items I don’t get caught out buying stuff
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 30 Dec 2021, 7:20 am

Blr243 wrote:I set up personal Po box that only I know about .. so when I get delivery of items I don’t get caught out buying stuff

Heh heh h . Oh, yr right..
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jan 2022, 12:43 am

As for your question,,,,,, yep, as per the many others that have confirmed such.
However,,,,, that being said, I tried it out just for the hell of it tonite.
Although I use all thermal gear and as such abhor spotlights I took a spottie out with me and tried it with a range finder.
Yep, it does work,,,,,,,,,, but man,, what a pain in the Rsssse,
Find a target,, flick on the spot,, sight it up with the range finder,, then flick back to the rifle and be ready to shoot.

If you want/need range finding capability,,,,, just bite the bullet and get a range finding scope and be done with it. :thumbsup:

The way I operate, I set up for the night,,, and then stay put.
Because I shoot the same area/s multiple times I have previously ranged (in daylight) particular trees, rocks, stumps, logs etc
Now, each visit in the dark,,,, I simply range find by recognizing the said stumps, logs, etc in relation to the target animal.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics