Using scopes while wearing prescription glasses?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Using scopes while wearing prescription glasses?

Post by jwai86 » 16 Jan 2022, 1:49 pm

I wear prescription glasses for myopia and am cross eye dominant (right handed but left eye dominant), and often have difficulty getting a consistently good view through a scope. This was very noticeable during a couple of Try Shooting sessions where I used a rimfire rifle. Do glasses affect the amount of eye relief required or any other scope settings?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Using scopes while wearing prescription glasses?

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2022, 5:49 pm

jwai86 wrote:I wear prescription glasses for myopia and am cross eye dominant (right handed but left eye dominant), and often have difficulty getting a consistently good view through a scope. This was very noticeable during a couple of Try Shooting sessions where I used a rimfire rifle. Do glasses affect the amount of eye relief required or any other scope settings?

I wear reading glasses, but nothing when shooting.
I think the only difference would be when focusing the ocular on the reticle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 6:09 pm

Hi, jwa,

I wear bifocals and it is a PITA.

I have found it does not effect eye relief.
However you need to decide if you will shoot using or not using your glasses. As I only really do a bit of hunting I wear mine all the time and have adjusted the ocular to suit.

NOTE: adjusting the ocular may change your POI.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Jan 2022, 6:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Hi, jwa,

However you need to decide if you will shoot using or not using your glasses. As I only really do a bit of hunting I wear mine all the time and have adjusted the ocular to suit.

+1 i'm in the same boat . i wear bifocals and have my scopes adjusted to suit .

i knew a fella who was too proud to wear glasses, and had the ocular adjusted to suit . thing was , he couldn't see game at distance without glasses and wouldn't know to shoulder the rifle and use the scope :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 16 Jan 2022, 6:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Hi, jwa,

My short-sightedness is bad enough to need my glasses all the time, but they don't have bifocal lenses.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 7:00 pm

To state the obvious.
Making sure the glasses are clean is important.

I mix a few drops of dish washing detergent in a small spay bottle. (perhaps 100ml) and use that to clean them daily, ( toilet or tissue is fine) nice and clean and stops fogging if wearing a mask)

"i knew a fella who was too proud to wear glasses, and had the ocular adjusted to suit . thing was , he couldn't see game at distance without glasses and wouldn't know to shoulder the rifle and use the scope :lol:"

Yeh, Iv'e tried both and wearing glasses all the time is best. BUT, the sight picture is clearer if you adjust the ocular without glasses. That's life I guess. As above clean glasses are essential.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 16 Jan 2022, 7:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:To state the obvious.
Making sure the glasses are clean is important.

I mix a few drops of dish washing detergent in a small spay bottle. (perhaps 100ml) and use that to clean them daily, ( toilet or tissue is fine) nice and clean and stops fogging if wearing a mask)

I have a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol that I use for cleaning my glasses at home.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm

There was an article in one of the ssaa shooter magazines about an optometrist who made glasses especially for shooters, the lenses were cut in such a way that they worked best when shouldering and sighting a rifle.
With some research you'll be able to find and contact him.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm

I looked into contact lenses. I believe they are the best solution. Cheap, single use lenses about $2 a set. BUT I couldn't reliably get the buggers in. Speak to your local optometrist.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 8:08 pm

You will find "I mix a few drops of dish washing detergent in a small spay bottle" is better.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Jan 2022, 9:19 am

Oh magoo, you’ve done it again ! He hah he !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2022, 10:00 am

Bastard copied my hair cut. :D

Resized_tempFileForShare_20220117-105421_309898712781931.jpeg
Resized_tempFileForShare_20220117-105421_309898712781931.jpeg (244.77 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

On a more serious note glasses can be a real PITA hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 17 Jan 2022, 3:08 pm

All this about scopes and glasses Never had any dramas with them .
I use trifocal lenses and sight in scopes same as always (age 66)
I bet you problem is coming from your other eye the unscoped one its just a matter of training you sight if you keep shutting the unscoped eye its will always be a problem you have to train you brain to separate the images your getting may take some time too .
if your shooting a rifle scoped it does not matter what eye is dominant you set the scope for 1 eye .
optometrist who made glasses especially for shooters was from Muswellbrook but i think it was more for a pistol shooter point of view he made work glasses too He use to travel to factories /job sights in Sydney that,s where I was chatting to him .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2022, 3:23 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:There was an article in one of the ssaa shooter magazines about an optometrist who made glasses especially for shooters, the lenses were cut in such a way that they worked best when shouldering and sighting a rifle.
With some research you'll be able to find and contact him.

I know a guy locally that makes prescription shooting glasses. Only catch is he wants you to bring your firearm in for a fitting, and I don't want a pair of glasses for each of my firearms...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2022, 10:14 pm

pomemax wrote:All this about scopes and glasses Never had any dramas with them .
I use trifocal lenses and sight in scopes same as always
(age 66)
I bet you problem is coming from your other eye the unscoped one its just a matter of training you sight if you keep shutting the unscoped eye its will always be a problem you have to train you brain to separate the images your getting may take some time too .
if your shooting a rifle scoped it does not matter what eye is dominant you set the scope for 1 eye .
optometrist who made glasses especially for shooters was from Muswellbrook but i think it was more for a pistol shooter point of view he made work glasses too He use to travel to factories /job sights in Sydney that,s where I was chatting to him .

Untill it rains or they fog up in the bush.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 17 Jan 2022, 11:14 pm

jwai86 wrote:I wear prescription glasses for myopia and am cross eye dominant (right handed but left eye dominant), and often have difficulty getting a consistently good view through a scope. This was very noticeable during a couple of Try Shooting sessions where I used a rimfire rifle. Do glasses affect the amount of eye relief required or any other scope settings?

Im in a similar boat to you - was cross eyed as a kid, had operations that cut my binocular vision, and and left handed/ right eye dominant. Ive shot guns since 5yo, and grown up on farms.
Imnow 54 and still shoot every week or 2, and have slowly upgraded my scoped to ones with side focus to allow quick refocusing. I always wear glasses. If neccessary, wear a patch on your left eye to help ( I do this for clay target shooting)
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2022, 2:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
pomemax wrote:All this about scopes and glasses Never had any dramas with them .
I use trifocal lenses and sight in scopes same as always
(age 66)

Untill it rains or they fog up in the bush.

Sweating annoys me heaps when I'm wearing glasses, bending over something and sweat drops into the lenses!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 25 Jan 2022, 8:01 pm

I often get sweat in my eyes when shooting at the indoor range. It's a pain.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 25 Jan 2022, 8:08 pm

I miss those young eyes and using ironsights out to 500 yards. Now I need a scope for anything over 100 yards.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 07 Apr 2022, 1:32 pm

The only issue I have had with my glasses (graduated lenses) is they keep moving down my snoot. So, work required me to wear safety glasses, and i now wear these plus the elastic safety strap. They stay in place nicely now. As for eye relief, have not really had a problem there. Might do with my 9.3, or if I owned anything with a mule kick, but haven't noticed yet.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics