Vortex vs Meopta

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Vortex vs Meopta

Post by pilotsignal » 24 Jan 2022, 9:55 pm

Hi Guys,

I have narrowed down my new scope selection to:
1. Meopta MeoPro Optika 5 4-20x44
2. Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO

Both have the same price tag and all the reviews I read are good.
Has anyone had any personal experience with both or either of them to make recommendations? I just need a kick to make the final decision :D
This will go on my Winchester .223 for 200-300m bench rest shooting.

Thanks.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Vortex vs Meopta

Post by G-Swiss » 24 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm

Can’t comment on the Meopta but I’m very happy with the Vortex I have on my .223 Lithgow.

It’s a bit of a step up from the Crossfire (Viper PSTii 3-15x44) but either way you get a lifetime no bs replacement warranty, regardless of whether it broke or you broke it.

Cheers G
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2022, 10:21 am

pilotsignal wrote:Hi Guys,

I have narrowed down my new scope selection to:
1. Meopta MeoPro Optika 5 4-20x44
2. Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO

Both have the same price tag and all the reviews I read are good.
Has anyone had any personal experience with both or either of them to make recommendations? I just need a kick to make the final decision :D
This will go on my Winchester .223 for 200-300m bench rest shooting.

Thanks.

I think you'll need to look through them and have a fiddle to make the final decision.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 25 Jan 2022, 11:47 am

Mate I don’t own Vortex however the couple of Meopta I have are great. Good value for money me thinks.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 25 Jan 2022, 12:55 pm

If this is purely for range work then Id probably suggest you have a look into the Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 :thumbsup:

Not a big budget outlay and very underated. Even thou I own 4 Meopta I use a 4-16 Stac as my main rain scope out to 400m. Cant comment on the current Vortex's, only ever looked at older series 15 years ago when they were first out.

https://sightron.com.au/product/sightro ... ode-26014/
Last edited by Bill on 25 Jan 2022, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by allan » 25 Jan 2022, 1:01 pm

I've been playing with an Optika 6 4.5-27X50 BDC3 for a while - Very well built, good glass, tracks reliably and plenty of other nice features.
I'm about to order an Optika 5 4-20X50 BDC3 with the 1" tube for a rim fire.
Perhaps a negative for some but the ocular housing and power adjustment ring are pretty large so make sure you have bolt handle clearance when sourcing the rings to suit if you decide on the Meopta.
Bill beat me to it but another vote for the STAC here if it suits. I have three STAC 4-20X50 with MOA-2 - All are on range rifles. Specs here:

https://sightron.com.au/product/sightro ... ode-26015/
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by pilotsignal » 25 Jan 2022, 2:49 pm

Thank you Guys. I have never heard about Sightron so, read a few reviews. Sounds good.
However, price wise it is even dearer that Vortex and Miopta. If it is cheaper (even a bit), I might consider risk of buying unknown brand. I'd better stick with Vortex, I guess. Bigger lenses, higher magnification.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by allan » 25 Jan 2022, 6:38 pm

Sightron isn't an "unknown" brand - They make some awesome scopes - Just depends on your budget.

A shop I deal with in the US had the STAC P.N. 26015 on sale this month - Sale ended yesterday but they were going for US$289.000 !!!!! Just checked their site - Back to $529.00 to-day.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jan 2022, 7:46 pm

pilotsignal wrote:Thank you Guys. I have never heard about Sightron so, read a few reviews. Sounds good.
However, price wise it is even dearer that Vortex and Miopta. If it is cheaper (even a bit), I might consider risk of buying unknown brand. I'd better stick with Vortex, I guess. Bigger lenses, higher magnification.

I would be guided by the quality of the glass - look through them both to compare. The Meopta is well regarded in relation to their glass.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Jan 2022, 8:56 am

If I could have my 2 cents worth please.
I would be going for the scope with the best warranty. They do break down and the tracking has always been the main culprit in my experience. Look through the glass by all means and if the scope with the best warranty does not measure up, buy a better quality model from the same maker. Cheap glass comes from China while Japan makes the better variety. It will mean more bucks and the OP might have to save for longer.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Tilb004 » 26 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm

At the moment i have a sightron S-tac 4-20x50 and love it , retical is great .
Also have a meopta optika 5 5-20x50 and is as clear as my old nightforce shv .
I have recently bought a 243 with a vortex 4-16x44 on it ,it looked nice and clear in the shop .
Haven't used it in the field yet as im waiting for application to be processed , $210 if you dont mind haha.
West aussie government dont miss ya .
Good luck with it ,so many good scopes out there its a mind field .
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Biscuits » 06 Feb 2022, 9:19 am

pilotsignal wrote:Thank you Guys. I have never heard about Sightron so, read a few reviews. Sounds good.

Both those scopes in your OP are budget end scopes, the Vortex even more so. Beware that with budget scopes, the higher end of the magnification range might be there, but it is not really useable. There may be other issues, eg if it gets the slightest bit wet, you can't see anything.

I'd cough up more cash. If you don't want to cough up more cash, I'd get a lower power scope as they are more forgiving.

If you buy a good scope, you only need to buy it once and over several years, it's a lot cheaper than your ammo.

The Vortex warranty is pretty good though. I had a lower end to mid-range Vortex scope (the HST, which is a step above the Crossfire you mention) which developed a loose marker ring on the zoom, so you could still zoom as normal but the separate ring showing the zoom power could rotate around the scope tube. I sent it in. I thought the Vortex distributor would just glue it back on, but instead they gave me a whole new scope.

However refer to what I said above about the budget scopes and the top end of the zoom range not being useable: After Vortex gave me a new scope, I thought great, I have a brand new scope - so I immediately sold it. Got a good price for it as it was unused and I went and bought a better scope where I can actually use the full zoom range.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Apr 2022, 8:56 pm

The Meopta Optika is a fine range of scopes with the exception of the hideous power selector dial ........The dial on the Meopro /Meostar is much more like it and having said that i steer towards the Meopro / Meostar

The Czech made optic is one of the best kept secrets in the Euro optics scene - right up there with Zeiss and Swaro - good stiff indeed.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bman940 » 05 Apr 2022, 12:49 am

Meopta is the answer. I have 2 Optika5 4-20x50's and I couldn't be happier. 1 sits on a .308 that I have dialed out to 500 yards and the other on a .17 HMR that is a varmint getting machine. 20X is definitely usable with these Meopta offerings. I also have a few Optika6 scopes and looking past the large power ring, you get a lot of other great features that do matter. I don't have 1 friend who hasn't looked through one of my Meopta scopes and not bought one, that says something!
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by solarpak » 05 Apr 2022, 11:09 pm

bman940 wrote:Meopta is the answer. I have 2 Optika5 4-20x50's and I couldn't be happier. 1 sits on a .308 that I have dialed out to 500 yards and the other on a .17 HMR that is a varmint getting machine. 20X is definitely usable with these Meopta offerings. I also have a few Optika6 scopes and looking past the large power ring, you get a lot of other great features that do matter. I don't have 1 friend who hasn't looked through one of my Meopta scopes and not bought one, that says something!

+1 what man says -the meopro range are exceptional value from a 'big hitter' in the Euro glass scene - Meopta do everything - sports optics, medical, lens manufacture and coatings etc....

No doubt the Optika range is superb but the new 2022 Meopro is even better ....and if you want a bargain Magnum sports has an 'as new' Meopta ZD 4-16 x 50 for around $1400 - a superb scope that is on par with the Zeiss Victory FL / V8 - for a steal.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 06 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm

I have always liked Meopta stuff. Vortex...not me....Chinese made stuff.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics