Steiner vs Kahles

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Steiner vs Kahles

Post by Biscuits » 03 Feb 2022, 10:31 am

Need a new rifle, so need a new scope. I know when you spend this much cash, you won't go wrong but does anyone have experience with a Steiner M5xi (this is the M military series, not the T series which had a lot of faults apparently) and a Kahles K525i? They are both 5-25x56 with 34mm tubes. The Kahles is a little lighter and a little shorter. The Steiner looks like you could beat someone over the head with it.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Steiner vs Kahles

Post by deye243 » 03 Feb 2022, 7:01 pm

If they were the only choices for me Kahles a friend has one I have used it a bit and fantastic glass but would you believe it's a left-handed model so it's a bit of getting used to as the windage is on the opposite side.

The Steiner I have had nothing to do with don't know anybody with one and I know a lot of people with high end scopes so for me little-known brand like that I would steer well clear of it that's not the say that you should it is just the way I look at things .

Cheers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 03 Feb 2022, 7:16 pm

I would be looking at how they compare - being ,lighter is an advantage. I would expect at the high end of prices both should have excellent glass.

Kahles has such along standing reputation it would be hard to go past.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by markg » 05 Feb 2022, 8:51 pm

Swarovski manages Kahles. Some Swaro optics now have the Kahles name. Cannot go wrong there one would think.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 06 Feb 2022, 8:58 am

Got the Khales. Haven't looked through it that much yet, but it looks like a good, sharp reticle and good glass. The build quality is excellent.

I'm told that Swarovski (the parent/sister company of Kahles) does not make first focal plane scopes with a miliradian reticle, because of their military application. If you look at the Swarovski catalogue, their scopes are either second focal plane, or if FFP only have a BDC reticle. The FFP miliradian reticles, like the one I just got, are all Kahles.

Steiner are quite well known in Europe and the US, maybe more for binoculars until recently.

I swung towards the Khales over the Steiner as it had an extra 3 or 4 miliradian of elevation range (this will go on a 1200-2000 metre rifle) and the parallax goes shorter. Not that I really need short parallax for targets 2km away, but it's always nice to have ;)
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics