New rifle and scope. HELP please.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

New rifle and scope. HELP please.

Post by GJP69 » 14 Feb 2022, 7:12 am

Question for those more knowledgeable than myself (probably nearly everyone here).
Picked up during the week new 7mm08 and had the shop install Zerotech thrive 3-12x44. Couldn't get on the range so stopped at property on the way home. Few hours testing fimfire ammo and think I'll put a few rounds through the 7mm08. 1st two shots not on paper about 30mm high and 130 to the left about 10mm apart, so 3rd shot i aim about that far low and to the right and i hit my target. So all this was only at 50mtrs. So do i really need to adjust approx 35 clicks right. Is it usual to be so far off?
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New rifle and scope. HELP please.

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2022, 7:45 am

Yep normal. They are never very close when you first fit a scope.

Just sight it in. Calculate the clicks and make the adjustment.

Or you can try this system.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/guns- ... or-almost/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GJP69 » 14 Feb 2022, 8:35 am

Ok thanks, i just thought that was an awful lot to be out especially once you calculate to one hundred meters, so you've put me at ease a little. Was shooting off bench with bipod and home made rear bag, i have s set of bags on order so once they arrive I'll remove bipod and use both bags and just make necessary adjustments. Thanks Oldbloke
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 9:32 am

GJP69 wrote:Question for those more knowledgeable than myself (probably nearly everyone here).
Picked up during the week new 7mm08 and had the shop install Zerotech thrive 3-12x44. Couldn't get on the range so stopped at property on the way home. Few hours testing fimfire ammo and think I'll put a few rounds through the 7mm08. 1st two shots not on paper about 30mm high and 130 to the left about 10mm apart, so 3rd shot i aim about that far low and to the right and i hit my target. So all this was only at 50mtrs. So do i really need to adjust approx 35 clicks right. Is it usual to be so far off?

Yep, sounds normal. If you try different ammo it's likely to shoot to different point of aim as well, probably within 50mm though at 50m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GJP69 » 14 Feb 2022, 11:11 am

Thanks blade, yeah the different ammo variance i was aware of, just original POI stunned me. At the moment i have some Winchester Deer Season 140g polymer and Sako 140g soft point. Next outing I'll make adjustments to get on paper then try both.
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2022, 12:32 pm

10mm apart is a good sign
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 14 Feb 2022, 5:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:10mm apart is a good sign

This is the important part.the guys in the shop would’ve bore sighted it at a distance of the length of the counter. They did well getting as close as 130 mm.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 14 Feb 2022, 5:52 pm

Take the bolt out and look down the hole in the barrel and line your target up......very carefully, without moving the rifle, look through your scope and see where the cross hairs are in conjunction with your target....then wind the adjustors till the cross hairs are on the bull.....shouldnt be too far away if you have done it right.....trick is to have the rifle very secure and not move through this process....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 6:59 pm

brinny wrote:Take the bolt out and look down the hole in the barrel and line your target up......very carefully, without moving the rifle, look through your scope and see where the cross hairs are in conjunction with your target....then wind the adjustors till the cross hairs are on the bull.....shouldnt be too far away if you have done it right.....trick is to have the rifle very secure and not move through this process....

Yep. And to zero an optic, fire one round at a target at 50m, then hold the rifle with the reticle on the same point you fired at, and adjust the scope to move the reticle to the bullet hole. If the rifle is very accurate it is now zeroed, but fire a group to confirm and make any fine adjustment. It is more precise to measure the offset and calculate the scope adjustment, but that can be confusing for a new shooter.

For iron sights you can mount a laser on the barrel. Zero the laser to the sights, turn off the laser and fire one round. Then adjust the sights until the laser is still on your point of aim, but when you look through the sights they are now aimed at the bullet hole. A laser is also very useful to zero a scope you're putting on a rifle that already has zeroed iron sights. Zero the laser onto the iron sights at 50m, then mount the scope and zero it to the laser. If the rifle has iron sights that you can still use even with a scope mounted, just zero the scope to the same point of aim as the irons.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GJP69 » 15 Feb 2022, 6:55 am

Thanks guys, I'd been lurking here for a long while before joining and did know about the bore sighting to get on paper. My only excuse is after firing a couple of hundred rounds through the Rinfire it was getting late and i was eager to fire the first 3 rounds through the 7mm08 before heading home, so i skipped all that bore sighting steps and just loaded up. It is pleasing to know that 130mm off POA initially is nothing to worry about. Waiting on some front and rear bags to turn up and I'll follow these steps. Bore sight, adjust, shoot, really secure while adjusting again, shoot a group and measure and fine tune from there. Looking forward to it that's for sure. Thanks again.
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Feb 2022, 11:53 am

GJP69 wrote:Thanks guys, I'd been lurking here for a long while before joining and did know about the bore sighting to get on paper. My only excuse is after firing a couple of hundred rounds through the Rinfire it was getting late and i was eager to fire the first 3 rounds through the 7mm08 before heading home, so i skipped all that bore sighting steps and just loaded up. It is pleasing to know that 130mm off POA initially is nothing to worry about. Waiting on some front and rear bags to turn up and I'll follow these steps. Bore sight, adjust, shoot, really secure while adjusting again, shoot a group and measure and fine tune from there. Looking forward to it that's for sure. Thanks again.

The real scary bit comes when you've done all that,, and got yer rifle zeroed accurately then pack up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the next time you take it
out and fire a test shot and find that its 130 mm to the right and 75 mm high. :lol:

One of the long term members here had this issue. Dunno if he'll own up to it or not though. :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 15 Feb 2022, 12:14 pm

No need to bore sight it again if you have adjusted it to be close to the centre of target at close range. Just sight in in at 100 yds/m and then do a group.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2022, 12:42 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
GJP69 wrote:Thanks guys, I'd been lurking here for a long while before joining and did know about the bore sighting to get on paper. My only excuse is after firing a couple of hundred rounds through the Rinfire it was getting late and i was eager to fire the first 3 rounds through the 7mm08 before heading home, so i skipped all that bore sighting steps and just loaded up. It is pleasing to know that 130mm off POA initially is nothing to worry about. Waiting on some front and rear bags to turn up and I'll follow these steps. Bore sight, adjust, shoot, really secure while adjusting again, shoot a group and measure and fine tune from there. Looking forward to it that's for sure. Thanks again.

The real scary bit comes when you've done all that,, and got yer rifle zeroed accurately then pack up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the next time you take it
out and fire a test shot and find that its 130 mm to the right and 75 mm high. :lol:

One of the long term members here had this issue. Dunno if he'll own up to it or not though. :unknown:

My Redfield Revolution does that sort of thing, have to zero it every time I shoot it if I leave it on a rifle, nice glass though. I just keep it to throw on something for playing around, then remove it again.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Feb 2022, 7:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
My Redfield Revolution does that sort of thing, have to zero it every time I shoot it if I leave it on a rifle, nice glass though. I just keep it to throw on something for playing around, then remove it again.

Ha Ha,,,,,,, you weren't the one I was referring to,, which now makes me wonder just how many people do have dodgy scopes.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2022, 8:38 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Ha Ha,,,,,,, you weren't the one I was referring to,, which now makes me wonder just how many people do have dodgy scopes.

I have a $60 Chinese Bushnell 6-24x50 that the reticle rolled to 45-degrees. Still shoots okay and holds zero, but it's a bit more awkward to make adjustments :-) I Use it on air-rifle sometimes. I mount it so the retical is vertical so to adjust elevation you have to use both the turrets together.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 16 Feb 2022, 11:53 pm

I’d always bore sight before firing.

If you boresight, I’ve not had to adjust the scope more than around 5 clicks to get to zero. Once, I had no adjustment at all.

50m seems a little close to set a zero though.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Feb 2022, 7:52 am

if you are into handloading , the 7-08 seems to be a VERY inherently accurate caliber , like my 222 was . i have a tikka t3 in a B&C stock that shoots speer 130 btsp into one hole with 2208 and very good groups with nosler 150 bt with a lightly compressed load of 2209 . enjoy your 7-08 . i find it to be a marvellously flexiable caliber :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 17 Feb 2022, 5:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

That wouldnt be a thermal scope would it Ed??
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 17 Feb 2022, 7:20 pm

I tried bore sighting my 17hmr. Struggled to get my eye in the right position to see down such a tiny hole. Started firing and couldn't see where the bullet was going either. Eventually got there.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Feb 2022, 8:25 pm

brinny wrote:
That wouldnt be a thermal scope would it Ed??

No Mate not thermal, and not mine either. :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GJP69 » 17 Feb 2022, 9:25 pm

Thanks all, still haven't gotten out again yet. Work gets in the way. Probably won't happen this weekend either. A few comments to some of your replies. Frustrated that i didn't think to bore sight. After over 230klm round trip to range to test 22lr ammo and fire 1st shots through 7mm08, only to have no Range Officer turn up, i then stopped at some private property to do 22lr testing, that's why i was at 50m, so no definitely won't zero at that range.

I figured after choosing the 7mm08 over 308 that i would likely end up reloading for it although not at that stage yet. 2208 was the powder i was thinking which should also suit the 223 that is probably next on the shopping list.

Bigrich, do you use 2209 because of the heavier projectiles? as i was thinking of using this in the 1 in 9 twist 223 to run 69g projectiles.
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics