ATN X-Sight II - modification

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

ATN X-Sight II - modification

Post by NTSOG » 23 Feb 2022, 2:14 pm

G'day,

I understand that ATN has a poor reputation in regard to quality control and customer service, but I am plugging away with my X-sight II [3-14] on my Weihrauch 60J with some success. [I also have a 4K Pro in 3-14 on another rifle.] I suspect there are others 'out there' persevering with the scope while waiting to win Powerball and buy something really exotic. I use an English VCSEL laser Illuminator [Black Sun Dark Engine] which is very bright, but its effectiveness is reduced by the X-sight itself. As those who have used an X-Sight II know the image through the sight, day and night, is fuzzy at best unless the so-called sunshield with its 12.5mm aperture is permanently screwed on the front. Installing the sunshield greatly improves image clarity and sharpness and also depth of field. It occurred to me about a month ago after I shot a fox at 160 yards - more luck than good management due to the poor image through the sight - that I needed to get more light coming in to the sight.

I set about making my own test 'sunshields' with increased diameter 'apertures' out of some thin, but stiff black plastic. I removed the factory sunscreen and simply held my sunshields in place of the ATN one and compared clarity of vision and depth of field, day and night out across my paddocks. In the end I settled on an aperture of 17mm as sufficient and carefully enlarged the ATN aperture to 17mm. Image sharpness, clarity and depth of field does not seem affected to my eyes. Consequently my effective sighting and shooting range is now extended. The X-Sight is now able to receive more light produced by the VCSEL illuminator so that two weeks ago I dropped a fox at 210 yards. Prior to this modification I rarely attempted a shot over about 130 yards and even then it was definitely a 'Hail Mary ...' shot.

I hope this may be of some help to other frustrated X-sight II users.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: ATN X-Sight II - modification

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2022, 3:32 pm

Goood to see someone going too the effort research to improve situation and again to be sharing It for the benefit of others
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2022, 4:39 pm

I'll share this much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I sold mine,, Flat out like a lizard drinking,, and never looked backwards.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 23 Feb 2022, 4:50 pm

Hi DJ,

I understand why people were dis-satisfied with the sight and ATN also. I like the sight for my purposes and haven't missed a fox between 65 yards and 210 in the last 2 months. It helps that my Weihrauch rifle is shooting 3/4" groups off my hunting rest too.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2022, 8:38 pm

NTSOG wrote:Hi DJ,

I understand why people were dis-satisfied with the sight and ATN also. I like the sight for my purposes and haven't missed a fox between 65 yards and 210 in the last 2 months. It helps that my Weihrauch rifle is shooting 3/4" groups off my hunting rest too.

Jim

Yeah, I guess it's horses for courses sort of.
Apart from the promise of cheap compared to thermal,,, I also really liked the look of the ATN's. They had a clever combination of colors that really
drew me in to begin with.
Unfortunately it just didn't cut the mustard in performance for me.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 11 Mar 2022, 12:58 pm

I have had the 4K 3-14 for a few years now. I got to use it on the range one sunny day. Hmmmm. The I took it up to the farm, was using a normal spotlight with another rifle most of the night, the decided, ok, lets give the ATN a run. Failed, white-out. Frozen. Decided it needed a firmware update all on its own. Did the update, gained my uni tech degree in the process, and continued on. Didn't have much call to use it until the other day/night down at Springvale where we were invited to bring our night vision gear for the cpm qualificiation. Qualified with the normal scope while there was enough daylight. Was getting dark so, out with the ATN. Failed. After getting it ready all day, getting re-acquainted etc, set it on the rifle, turn it on, white out. Another self imposed firmware update needed. Went home, ran the process, updated the scope, fine. Started running through the programs and settings. Failed. Frozen again, Got a new SD card, did it all again. Started looking good, Failed, Frozen. Its too big for a paper-weight and too light for a door stop.
I have written a War and Peace paper to ATN. See what happens.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Mar 2022, 6:57 pm

madang55 wrote:I have had the 4K 3-14 for a few years now. I got to use it on the range one sunny day. Hmmmm. The I took it up to the farm, was using a normal spotlight with another rifle most of the night, the decided, ok, lets give the ATN a run. Failed, white-out. Frozen. Decided it needed a firmware update all on its own. Did the update, gained my uni tech degree in the process, and continued on. Didn't have much call to use it until the other day/night down at Springvale where we were invited to bring our night vision gear for the cpm qualificiation. Qualified with the normal scope while there was enough daylight. Was getting dark so, out with the ATN. Failed. After getting it ready all day, getting re-acquainted etc, set it on the rifle, turn it on, white out. Another self imposed firmware update needed. Went home, ran the process, updated the scope, fine. Started running through the programs and settings. Failed. Frozen again, Got a new SD card, did it all again. Started looking good, Failed, Frozen. Its too big for a paper-weight and too light for a door stop.
I have written a War and Peace paper to ATN. See what happens.

Question,,,,,, How big is the ATM salesman's backside when he bends over ?

I'd be willing to bet that with a bit of persuasion and a jar of rubber grease,,,,,, it would fit.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 11 Mar 2022, 8:21 pm

I'm sure I could fit it somewhere the sun don't shine. After all, it is for use in the dark
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by willowbrooktan » 12 Mar 2022, 11:10 am

I must have been luckier than Madang55. I have 2 & the only problem I had was with the 5-20 freezing just once & this was fixed by holding the on/off down for a number of seconds. Otherwise pretty good , apart from the weight & heftiness with the ABL & an aftermarket torch. The 3-14 is currently listed on SSAA but for no other reason than I don't have the use for 2 & the ever increasing number of new players coming on the market with more refinements which I would very seldom ever use.
Barry
willowbrooktan
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 14 Mar 2022, 4:50 pm

Well i left it alone in the shed for a day or two. Sneered at it a couple of times. It got the better of me and I picked it up and, roll me over and butter me on both sides it worked. Right up until I tried to set the date and time. How far can YOU throw one of these? Held the on/off down and it turned off. Left it for a minute or tow, turned it back on...white screen of "I'm really getting tired of this manure" is all I got again...Do we even have an ATN Rep in AUS?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Mar 2022, 8:53 pm

madang55 wrote:Well i left it alone in the shed for a day or two. Sneered at it a couple of times. It got the better of me and I picked it up and, roll me over and butter me on both sides it worked. Right up until I tried to set the date and time. How far can YOU throw one of these? Held the on/off down and it turned off. Left it for a minute or tow, turned it back on...white screen of "I'm really getting tired of this manure" is all I got again...Do we even have an ATN Rep in AUS?

Apart from your own personal loss, and the feeling of being screwed over well and truly,,,,,,,,
The worst thing of all about something like this is that you can't even sell it on. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Mar 2022, 8:54 pm

Don’t stop with the facts of your experience.... keep screwing them while they keep screwing you
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 16 Mar 2022, 12:29 pm

G'day all ATN 'sufferers',

It's clear I've been lucky with both my ATN sights [X-sight II and 4K Pro] 3-14X. I even received prompt and helpful advice from ATN in the USA when I had an issue in accessing their site due to using a search engine that somehow did not want to 'talk' to ATN on-line. Both my sights are still functioning well - I whacked a hare last night on neighbour's property with the X-sight II - though neither will 'reach' out all that far compared to the PARD NV008 on my .22 magnum.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 17 Mar 2022, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 16 Mar 2022, 12:36 pm

I know...I got a "maybe" lemon. It could possibly be fixed by an atn repairer, but we ain't got one. ? . So post it to the states? Don't think so. I will try once more with a brand new, never used, sd card, take a panadol, follow the instructions to the letter, and then bury it in a post hole when I erect the fence around around the spa.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Mar 2022, 8:42 pm

madang55 wrote:I know...I got a "maybe" lemon. It could possibly be fixed by an atn repairer, but we ain't got one. ? . So post it to the states? Don't think so. I will try once more with a brand new, never used, sd card, take a panadol, follow the instructions to the letter, and then bury it in a post hole when I erect the fence around around the spa.

At least yer sense of humor is still firing on all eight. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 18 Mar 2022, 7:02 pm

Have found that OSA are the agents, so the question re servicing has been asked.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 28 Mar 2022, 6:26 pm

Lovely lady at OSA said send it in and we will have a look at it, they do have a service person here, so with cap in hand I will mail it to them this week.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 01 Apr 2022, 5:52 am

madang55: "... they do have a service person here,..."

That's good to know. Hopefully the technician will be able to help you.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 20 Jun 2022, 12:01 am

NTSOG wrote:madang55: "... they do have a service person here,..."

That's good to know. Hopefully the technician will be able to help you.

Jim

Short end to the story, my scope was knackered and they sent me a new one
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics