How close is too close ?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

How close is too close ?

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Feb 2022, 8:37 pm

Having never shot on a "range/club" and also never owned a spotting scope,, can someone enlighten me please ?

How close alongside the rifle (centerfire) can a spotting scope/telescope be ?

Can the shock waves damage a spotting scope/telescope ?

Thanks in advance,,,,, :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: How close is too close ?

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2022, 8:49 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Having never shot on a "range/club" and also never owned a spotting scope,, can someone enlighten me please ?

How close alongside the rifle (centerfire) can a spotting scope/telescope be ?

Can the shock waves damage a spotting scope/telescope ?

Thanks in advance,,,,, :thumbsup:

No idea about range etiquette, but the blast isn't going to damage it unless it actually knocks it over.
When I take mine out I don't like to have it on the bench near me, I prefer to isolate it on its own tripod. Bloody annoying trying to use it if anything is moving it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Feb 2022, 10:40 pm

Long time sinc I been on a range too. But I remember having one set up on the bench beside me. I’m pretty sure I could stand up lean over and look thru the spotting scope. It’s well and truly worth having one with an angled eyepiece so u don’t have to get behind it ...even if the front lense of the scope were facing the direction of the blast , the blast ain’t gonna hurt it. ITs lense is as oblivious to blast damage as is the lense on the scope attached to your rifle u are shooting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Feb 2022, 10:42 pm

If the spotting scope is correctly pointing exactly at your target , it’s unlikely the muzzle blast would push it a little bit off course if that’s what you were asking
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Feb 2022, 11:15 pm

My scope (Kowa 20-60x100) generally sits about 6" from the action of my rifle during shoots where a scope is permitted (mainly T/R and F Class). never had an issue, never heard of anyone else having an issue regarding muzzle blast. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2022, 6:39 am

Never too close. I've used a myriad of spotters over my life, ranging from el-cheapo rubbish through to Swaros and Kowas, and never have I seen one damaged from blast. I even ran a smartphone attached to one with various mounts, for a long time, and it was never damaged.

My latest strategy in place of the spotter now is a Nikon P950 ELR mirrorless camera. It cops a lot of pressure waves every Saturday, even from rifles running muzzle brakes, not to mention stray ejecting shells bouncing off it. I actually look for the "shivers" the camera displays when editing my footage, in the case where I need to synchronize multiple views. If anything was going to get damaged from over-pressure, it would be this delicate camera, and so far, so good (touch wood).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 01 Mar 2022, 6:48 am

Some of the TR guys have the spotting scope so close they dont move their position other than there head just tilted the other way no issues from blasts they are well back from the muzzle.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by MontyShooter » 01 Mar 2022, 7:34 am

My 338 lap will blow light things over on the bench but I wouldn't worry about a spotting scope. Empty cartridges thrown from straight pulls or blow back guns are where I seem to damage my stuff.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2022, 7:48 am

MontyShooter wrote:My 338 lap will blow light things over on the bench but I wouldn't worry about a spotting scope. Empty cartridges thrown from straight pulls or blow back guns are where I seem to damage my stuff.

I do worry a bit about the shells hitting my camera, but not the spotters they are robust. I'm running a pattern 14 (m17) and ejection is so damned strong it can land hot shells down the collar of the bloke next to me. Guess that's ultimately gonna be good for my grading however...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Mar 2022, 9:10 am

Thanks fellas,
I'm gonna try an old (70's japanese) manufacture telescope just for when checking zero, and occasional sighting in a new scope,,,, just
so I don't have to keep going back and forth to the targets.
The objective lens on it would be alongside of the various rifles muzzles. (I don't use muzzle brakes)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2022, 9:41 am

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks fellas,
I'm gonna try an old (70's japanese) manufacture telescope just for when checking zero, and occasional sighting in a new scope,,,, just
so I don't have to keep going back and forth to the targets.
The objective lens on it would be alongside of the various rifles muzzles. (I don't use muzzle brakes)

DJ plenty of old setups like this in SR and TR that last forever and do the job:

telo.jpg
telo.jpg (307.46 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

As Larry said most shooters will have them placed so they can rock onto their support elbow and peer through with the non-dominant eye, perhaps watching the mirage, perhaps looking at the marks, perhaps both...

Muzzle brakes are generally hated on the mounds.
Last edited by in2anity on 01 Mar 2022, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2022, 9:50 am

There are other functional options I've explored which can capture video as well as providing immediate feedback:

telo2.jpg
telo2.jpg (439.2 KiB) Viewed 2249 times

telo3.jpg
telo3.jpg (464.33 KiB) Viewed 2249 times

Just some ideas.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics