Thermal imaging monocular

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Thermal imaging monocular

Post by flashman » 06 Mar 2022, 9:02 am

Hi all i want to by a thermal monocular ,OK not my area of expertise ,who has one which brand ,and most of all do they WORK.... :problem:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Thermal imaging monocular

Post by niteowl » 06 Mar 2022, 10:58 am

Yes they do work !
GSCI is the best but a bit dearer than the run of the mill ones for the general public.
What do you need to achieve?
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Mar 2022, 12:28 pm

I have an old pulsar monocular and a newish pulsar set of binos ... the cheapest gear is a waste of money and the best gear is beyond budget of alot of people. Expect to be searching in the middle of that somewhere.. a couple of months researching what’s right for you is also a good opportunity to put some dollars away in preparation for your purchase This is better than just Diving in The deep end ..regarding specs . . rated detection distance is only goin to b a tiny white dot. Field of view is not something I pay a great deal of attention to. Optical zoom and digital zoom is ok to know about. By far the best specs I feel to consider is pixels and sensor resolution
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

I would not buy just a Monocular as a first thermal item. I would buy a clip on or a scope So u can use it for both Scanning and shooting. .. then later when u have more money and u are tired of attaching and re attaching Equipment u can buy a Dedicated thermal scanner and leave the scope on the rifle
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm

Thermal suits me immensely and I have no inclination to use nv or spotlights or rifle mounted torches . But some people who have tried every possible type of equipment don’t necessarily use or prefer strictly thermal.. it’s not necessarily for everyone
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Mar 2022, 12:36 pm

I would not buy just a Monocular as a first thermal item. I would buy a clip on or a scope So u can use it for both Scanning and shooting. .. then later when u have more money and u are tired of attaching and re attaching Equipment u can buy a Dedicated thermal scanner and leave the scope on the rifle
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 06 Mar 2022, 4:19 pm

There are a LOT of thermal monoculars available to us now.....How good of a one you get depends greatly on your budget.....Can vary from $2,500-$10,000 or more
A monocular is a must to have first before a scope as you will have a greater chance of detecting game up to and past 1800m....far greater distance than you will ever achieve with a spotlight....and you will get closer to your target easier with a monocular than you will with a light.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 06 Mar 2022, 4:29 pm

Gee thanks for that information , going to need a lot more research before handing over my hard earned cash. or may be a rethink is in order.........Thanks.. :?:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Mar 2022, 7:28 pm

I run two Pulsar FXQ 50 clip ons.
These can be used in conjunction with any good quality scope for shooting,,,, or as an exceptionally good quality monocular.
The reason I bought two is simple,,,,,,, the first one was so bloody good.

However,,,,,,, they are made in Belarus, so unless you can get one in store here in Australia,, in the current climate (Ukraine/russia) you may
experience some difficulty.

100_5908.JPG
100_5908.JPG (513.14 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
100_5914.JPG
100_5914.JPG (490.34 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Mar 2022, 8:31 pm

I thought pulsar was made in Lithuania rather than Belarus ? Not sure I want to b supporting Belarus at the moment .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bello » 07 Mar 2022, 12:41 pm

Hi mate
I have a Pulsar Axion key xm30s monocular. Its great. On a dark night I am able to get very close to my targeted quarry before they even know I am there.
I use the monocular to scan an area, if i spot something, I use my thermal scope them to get a better definition image.
The monocular is light and easy to use and you can scan a lot of area, better than trying to use the thermal scope for scanning.

They are not cheap, but I always advocate to buy the best you can afford, 'cry once' is the saying.
Once you have used a quality thermal set up...that is monocular and scope, you will not go back to spotlighting.

my2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by niteowl » 07 Mar 2022, 3:32 pm

Re Do they work? Have a look at the clip. Note, ignore the date stamp. My old video recorder will not record without and the date cannot be changed.

https://youtu.be/lvwuXGPIQY0
Poo too. This clip starts with cows and calves that are from 800 m at the closest to 1200 m at the back of the group using a 75 mm 640x480 17 micron @3 x optical magnification, showing 1 x (3 x optical) 2 X digital and 4 x digital (being 12 x total) then goes on to kangaroos, then a yearling Boer buck at 85 m. Watch him closely as for a start he his taking a leak, checks it out as bucks do, then if you watch carefully you can see him doing some “pellets”.
Kangaroos are behind the fence @ 300m. Trees in the background are about 500m.

As always the video is NOT the quality of the device itself.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 15 Mar 2022, 10:45 am

Woow that's impressive more home work ,if i buy ,got get it wright first time ........... :unknown:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics