Fast action scope?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Fast action scope?

Post by dnardy » 07 Mar 2022, 2:32 pm

Hi all,
I have a Pump Action Remington 7600 in 30-06 that currently wears a Leupold VXR 3-9x.
I'm getting another 30-06 in bolt action for a deer rifle (the 7600 cycles too loudly).

So the 7600 will become a dedicated quad bike/pig/short range rifle.
I'm leaning towards putting a red dot on it for fast target aquisition but afraid I'll lose too much versatility. Should I just keep the VXR on it or is there something in between? I don't believe you can mount a scope far enough forward on these rifles for a "scout gun" type setup.

It's a budget rig so nothing from Zeiss please guys :lol:
30.06 Remington 7600 pump
25.06 Tikka T3
12G / .223 Savage combo
12G Browning GTS
Winchester Mod 06 .22 pump
Air rifle
dnardy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Fast action scope?

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Mar 2022, 3:13 pm

dnardy wrote:Hi all,
I have a Pump Action Remington 7600 in 30-06 that currently wears a Leupold VXR 3-9x.
I'm getting another 30-06 in bolt action for a deer rifle (the 7600 cycles too loudly).

So the 7600 will become a dedicated quad bike/pig/short range rifle.
I'm leaning towards putting a red dot on it for fast target aquisition but afraid I'll lose too much versatility. Should I just keep the VXR on it or is there something in between? I don't believe you can mount a scope far enough forward on these rifles for a "scout gun" type setup.

It's a budget rig so nothing from Zeiss please guys :lol:

:lol: :lol: You do of course realize you can get "cheap" Zeiss scopes,,,,,, but that is precisely what the likes of the Terra is,,,, Cheap.

The VXR Leupolds were brought out with some hype about "fast aquisition, and I bought one.
Then very quickly sold it.
I found that it certainly didn't do well for me under a spotlight,,,,,, added to the fact that the whole VXR reticule was far too crowded and busy
for my likings.

If your looking for a budget style scope plus fast aquisition I'd be looking at,,,,,,

a) an open style simple cross reticule first and foremost,,
b) a scope that has pretty good glass for a budget price.

Possible brands (if not a basic Leupold) I would suggest to look at "German Precision Optics" (GPO) or "Meopta".
Meopta have been known for a long time to have both good glass and lowish price.
GPO aren't publicized all that much, but are well worth looking at.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 07 Mar 2022, 4:47 pm

Fast target acquisition on a quad.
Each to their own. But this is what I’d want. https://defence.nioa.com.au/law-enforcement/eotech
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 07 Mar 2022, 4:52 pm

The Ghost sights that they come with are very quick and practical very easy to use.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigpete » 07 Mar 2022, 4:54 pm

Red dot sight
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Mar 2022, 5:01 pm

For what you specify I would look at at a 1.5 to 3x. Good field of view, quick aquisition and an ability to move out a bit more in distance. This is the most common type of scope for Dangerous Game and there is good reason for it, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Mar 2022, 6:39 pm

Red dot holo. That’s what’s on my 7600. U can still shoot surprisingly accurate good groups when u take your time and /or you have a stationary animal. I don’t think a red dot causes the loss of substantial versatility
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 07 Mar 2022, 8:40 pm

I have a 1-6 with illuminated reticle on my pig gun. These may be out of your price range, but 1-4 may not be, especially from more budget brands such as Vortex. The large field of view an red dot are very good for target aquisition.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Mar 2022, 6:50 am

Shaynes scope sounds perfect. I wish my hunting was exciting enough to rewquire a fact action scope
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 08 Mar 2022, 10:07 am

A relatively low cost option would be a Leupold 1.5-4.5 with a Hogplex reticle. The merit of this type of reticle is it is a circle which aids in rapid target acquisition.
I also have a Millett 1-4 with a circle and illuminated dot but it is a lot more bulky than the Leupold.
I'm not sure if Leupold still offers that reticle or if there are other scope makes as well.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2022, 10:57 am

1-4 thick x hair
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 08 Mar 2022, 7:54 pm

Blr243 wrote:Shaynes scope sounds perfect. I wish my hunting was exciting enough to rewquire a fact action scope

Off topic I know, but my old fashioned hunting method on foot, no thermal optics, no range finder, no BDC doodads, no long range sniping etc has its merits when a pig blasts out of the scrub about 3 metres in front of you.

And then the 1 power with the red dot is excellent. If the country is more open, or your close range efforts were less then satisfactory :roll: , then you can use 4 power etc.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Mar 2022, 8:22 pm

I have an Aimpoint Micro H1 sitting in the cupboard gathering dust.
A magic bit of gear for those aforementioned close up shots on pigs and the likes,,,,,,,,,,
but, I just don't do that sort of shooting anymore.
I did have it mounted on a Rem 7600 but most shots at that time were further out and far more suitable for a typical scope, so I
quit using it.
Maybe later I might put it on a shottie.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by dnardy » 09 Mar 2022, 11:12 am

Thanks all.
I'm biting the bullet and spending a fair bit more than I intended. Going a 1.5-5 from Leupold with an illuminated firedot. Also chucking a Boyd's thumbhole stock on while I'm going.
The current 3-9 VXR that's on it will go on the new rifle.
30.06 Remington 7600 pump
25.06 Tikka T3
12G / .223 Savage combo
12G Browning GTS
Winchester Mod 06 .22 pump
Air rifle
dnardy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 09 Mar 2022, 6:12 pm

I use a wide angle 4x bushnell on a lever 308. It’s a great for close stuff and the bigger field of view is the important part . The magnification gives me reasonable range if I need it. I have never felt overscoped.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 09 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm

deanp100 wrote:I use a wide angle 4x bushnell on a lever 308. It’s a great for close stuff and the bigger field of view is the important part . The magnification gives me reasonable range if I need it. I have never felt overscoped.

The difference between a 4x and 1x at close range is stunning in regards to field of view. I had a 2-7 wide angle and the 1 power smokes it for field of view. You should have a look at one.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 09 Mar 2022, 7:54 pm

GQshayne wrote:
deanp100 wrote:I use a wide angle 4x bushnell on a lever 308. It’s a great for close stuff and the bigger field of view is the important part . The magnification gives me reasonable range if I need it. I have never felt overscoped.

The difference between a 4x and 1x at close range is stunning in regards to field of view. I had a 2-7 wide angle and the 1 power smokes it for field of view. You should have a look at one.

I can’t. I’ve used this scope for 40 years and it would be upset if I used anything else.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics