Ruger 10/22 optic

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Ruger 10/22 optic

Post by Shootermick » 07 Apr 2022, 7:24 am

I’ve just bought a stainless synthetic 10/22. Haven’t picked it up yet. I’ll use it with the iron sights as soon as I get it, but most likely will put either a scope or red dot on it. Any suggestions? If scoped, I’m thinking a low power variable. Can’t see myself taking too many shots past 50 metres, but a small amount of magnification might be good at times. Also like the idea of a red dot to keep the rifle as light and handy as possible.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Ruger 10/22 optic

Post by rc42 » 07 Apr 2022, 9:56 am

Not many shooters can access Cat D semi-auto rimfires so any advice is probably going to be generic and not from experience with that particular rifle.

What are you planning to shoot with it? Do you have a rat infested farm or similar?

The rapid fire capability and use below 50m suggests that you will need fast target acquisition so lightweight low magnification scopes, red dots or iron sights would be on the shortlist.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2022, 11:04 am

Oh to be allowed a 10/22 again. The one I had over 30 years ago, had a set of peep sights fitted, because i really only used for snap shooting at bunnies at around 50m. In those days the sights were good, the eyesight was good and the results were good. Just a thought.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Apr 2022, 11:11 am

Being that a 10/22 is designed to let off a few quick shots, it makes sense to set it up as such.

Your idea of holographic / red dot sights is a good idea, some quick acquisition signs such a s ghost ring would also suit it well.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 07 Apr 2022, 11:14 am

Not a fan of red dots they just obscure too much of the target for any real precision shots on small targets.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2022, 12:21 pm

rc42 wrote:Not many shooters can access Cat D semi-auto rimfires so any advice is probably going to be generic and not from experience with that particular rifle.

What are you planning to shoot with it? Do you have a rat infested farm or similar?

The rapid fire capability and use below 50m suggests that you will need fast target acquisition so lightweight low magnification scopes, red dots or iron sights would be on the shortlist.

Semi-auto rimfire is CatC in all states I think. CatD is centrefire.

As a kid I had a 10/22, Winchester 190 and a pair of Stirling Model 20's.
The Winchester was the most accurate and would cycle anything, but has a tube mag.

Back then I just used a fixed 4x32 scope on them when I wasn't using the iron sights, but there weren't any other options.
A reflex sight would be pretty neat nowadays I reckon, but at 50m I think I'd prefer some magnification.

I have used a reflex and a red-dot on the Umarex 10/22 air-rifle around the sheds with surprising accuracy. From memory the only .22LR I've tried a reflex or red-dot on is the Henry H001 and I didn't find it very useful at longer ranges just due to the size of the reticle and lack of magnification.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2022, 12:24 pm

Bugman wrote:Oh to be allowed a 10/22 again. The one I had over 30 years ago, had a set of peep sights fitted, because i really only used for snap shooting at bunnies at around 50m. In those days the sights were good, the eyesight was good and the results were good. Just a thought.

My first rifle was the 10/22.
Can't have it anymore now that I'm a grown up.
So I bought the Umarex 10/22 .177" air-rifle :-)

I like apertures for precision shooting, but not for hunting. They obscure too much of the scene for me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 07 Apr 2022, 12:30 pm

My Ruger 10/22 is fitted with a Redfield combination red dot and laser.
Combines the best of both worlds for rapid shooting without needing to acquire sights or even shoulder it (the red dot), as well close up on the run stuff.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 07 Apr 2022, 1:02 pm

I’m probably leaning towards a red dot. Main use will be to thin out a few bunnies around the farm.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2022, 2:04 pm

animalpest wrote:My Ruger 10/22 is fitted with a Redfield combination red dot and laser.
Combines the best of both worlds for rapid shooting without needing to acquire sights or even shoulder it (the red dot), as well close up on the run stuff.

Laser is perfect for close-range on rats.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 07 Apr 2022, 3:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:Semi-auto rimfire is CatC in all states I think. CatD is centrefire.

Yep, my bad, it's the same Cat C here in QLD

I tend to group Cat C/D together under the category of fun and cool stuff that I can't have.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 07 Apr 2022, 3:59 pm

Depends how much you want to spend.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 07 Apr 2022, 4:14 pm

I have 3 red dots and one holographic sight. They cost about twice as much. But a world of difference. It projects the reticle onto your target. 4 different reticles to choose from in green or red. It would be a heap of fun on a 10/22 ,but perhaps not precise enough for longer shots.
I’d still have that over any red dot though.
Otherwise probably a 2-6 or 2-8 compact scope. Nothing fancy but lockable turrets. Ideally a quick throw lever and leave it on 3-4.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 07 Apr 2022, 5:17 pm

Ive got an old 1.75-5x28 tasco on my semi sportco. Our other semis just have 3-9x40s on them we usually dont go higher than 6x but a 3-9 is a pretty cheap common scope
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Scopes, sights and optics