Thermal Imaging choices

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Thermal Imaging choices

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 11:04 am

And now, my favourite subject. Firmware updates. My ATN 4K makes me weep. Obviously something I'm not seeing or doing or understanding, but it takes me several attempts to get it going. I have actually sent it in for a service (hammer and anvil job) so I'm hoping it comes back behaviour modified. Question is, does your unit present as easy to update when needed. Does it continually require updates or does it happily do its job without software updates?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2022, 11:18 am

BRINNY : > By the look of your photo, the plug in that I've got that enables me to run an external power pack on my Pulsars,
would fit straight in.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrgh,,,,,,,,,, No it won't.
I just checked, you have a totally different mechanism for holding the battery compartment door shut which would negate everything. :thumbsdown:
Last edited by Die Judicii on 10 Apr 2022, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2022, 11:21 am

madang55 wrote:And now, my favourite subject. Firmware updates. My ATN 4K makes me weep. Obviously something I'm not seeing or doing or understanding, but it takes me several attempts to get it going. I have actually sent it in for a service (hammer and anvil job) so I'm hoping it comes back behaviour modified. Question is, does your unit present as easy to update when needed. Does it continually require updates or does it happily do its job without software updates?

Ahhh yes,, the "updates",,,,,,, I'd forgotten them, the ATN that I had ever so briefly had to have updates.

The Pulsars just keep on keeping on without the need. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 11:27 am

Ahhh, yes....another vote for the Pulsars
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 10 Apr 2022, 12:18 pm

madang55 wrote:I just wanted to open a thread just for Thermal scopes and monoculars. There are lots more to chose from with a much greater price spread as well. The clip-ons are starting to be more available, but still pricey I think. I am looking for a functional scope. Not a cheap one, and certainly not prepared to pay current top dollar. I don't expect it to last until I fall off the rail (not long if I think about it), but I expect it to stand a bit of reasonable punishment. I want to be able to mount it on everything I own. 22LR, 204R, 223Rem, 6.5 Grendel, 308W, and 9.3 x 62. Its got to be able to handle all the recoil and NOT LOSE ZERO. I don't need it to do calculus. Its like buying a new phone a couple of years ago. This wunderkind spent 30mins marveling at the wonderful things this phone could do, the applications, the games, the computing power, the storage, etc etc, etc. When I asked him "does it make phone calls?" I think I ruined his day. So simple is best. Video, not required, photos, in the middle of the night, why? range finding, maybe, different shaped reticles, OK, white hot, red hot, black hot, if you must, but trajectory calculations, recording of bullet weights etc etc etc, I don't have that long to live. Again, I don't need it to do calculus. When I'm planning a shoot, I want to mount it on the intended rifle, take it to the range, confirm the zero, get to the hunt, turn it on, and its ready. Mounts, I just want to use standard mounts, not some thing that looks like it used to be attached to a mecano set. Simple batteries, not Li-on power packs. If its got a power pack, all that power is being used/wasted by the additional computations going on. I have a night vision scope which has been a little troublesome. What I did find though was that in open country, its fine. but in the bush....the bush is where the Thermal works a lot better.

This might be of interest as far as recoil rating of thermal scopes is concerned.....GSCI rate their thermal scopes up to and include .50 cal.....not to shabby.....

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 12:26 pm

GSCI .. yes indeed.. but the cost? Where are they made? If Pulsar are Belarus, the supply might dry up. This could allow all the others to put their prices up. Wouldn't it be nice if they got together and dropped their prices just to put a Russian out of business. The Australian government may yet ban imports from from Russian based companies.. so many variables.
Last edited by madang55 on 10 Apr 2022, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 10 Apr 2022, 12:26 pm

madang55 wrote:And now, my favourite subject. Firmware updates. My ATN 4K makes me weep. Obviously something I'm not seeing or doing or understanding, but it takes me several attempts to get it going. I have actually sent it in for a service (hammer and anvil job) so I'm hoping it comes back behaviour modified. Question is, does your unit present as easy to update when needed. Does it continually require updates or does it happily do its job without software updates?

You can preview the updates before pressing the go button on the Thermion. By preview I mean a factory description. Two main bug fixes recently have been WIFI and motion detection. But, going back to the early days of the Phantom 4 drones, bug fixes often ended up in a fly off to the moon with countless posts on FB offering reward for lost drone. So the point is, for me anyway, unless they offer something truly groundbreaking or more reticles I don't upgrade s**t if it ain't broke. My XQ38 has never been updated though there have been some. The XM once for the WIFI fix very early on, like a couple of months after their release. Unlike phones these days, the Thermion needs nothing to keep it going.
My understanding in the XQ38 2 has all the fixes. There was an XP 50 on usedguns yesterday for about 2k under retail. Did you buy that?.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 10 Apr 2022, 12:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:BRINNY : > By the look of your photo, the plug in that I've got that enables me to run an external power pack on my Pulsars,
would fit straight in.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrgh,,,,,,,,,, No it won't.
I just checked, you have a totally different mechanism for holding the battery compartment door shut which would negate everything. :thumbsdown:

Ed...there is a separate port to plug into for an external recorder or battery pack to be fitted.....personally im not fond of cables hanging off scopes so choose to just run the 123A batteries....
Oh.....and respectfully, i think you know where you can put the Pulsar scopes too.....

Last edited by brinny on 10 Apr 2022, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 10 Apr 2022, 12:38 pm

madang55 wrote:GSCI .. yes indeed.. but the cost? Where are they made? If Pulsar are Belarus, the supply might dry up. This could allow all the others to put their prices up. Wouldn't it be nice if they got together and dropped their prices just to put a Russian out of business. The Australian government may yet ban imports from from Russian based companies.. so many variables.

GSCI thermals are made in Canada....Yes mate...they are pricey.....but you get what you pay for....My S6100 was around $11,300.....well worth the extra dollars to have piece of mind in reliability, quality, and confidence in your gear..... my new scope only took a few weeks from order to delivery.....
They also come with a 7 year warranty, unlike most others at 3 years....They have to have confidence in their product to offer that size warranty......
When the funds are available i will get one more....and it will be a GSCI....possibly another 6100 for the 22-250, then im done......
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 12:53 pm

Sorry, the posts I am making on my phone haven't shown up here. Anyone got a cure for that...this was done on my desktop.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 12:59 pm

Just had a look at the XQ50 in TAS. $4900 posted in Aust. Retail $5195, so not too much cheaper. The XP50 Pro retails $7900.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm

DOH!!!!!!!! page 2 you muppet...grey moment
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 10 Apr 2022, 3:24 pm

brinny wrote:
madang55 wrote:GSCI .. yes indeed.. but the cost? Where are they made? If Pulsar are Belarus, the supply might dry up. This could allow all the others to put their prices up. Wouldn't it be nice if they got together and dropped their prices just to put a Russian out of business. The Australian government may yet ban imports from from Russian based companies.. so many variables.

GSCI thermals are made in Canada....Yes mate...they are pricey.....but you get what you pay for....My S6100 was around $11,300.....well worth the extra dollars to have piece of mind in reliability, quality, and confidence in your gear..... my new scope only took a few weeks from order to delivery.....
They also come with a 7 year warranty, unlike most others at 3 years....They have to have confidence in their product to offer that size warranty......
When the funds are available i will get one more....and it will be a GSCI....possibly another 6100 for the 22-250, then im done......

Hey mate, I think you need to re-look at your invoice??
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brinny » 10 Apr 2022, 7:33 pm

niteowl wrote:
brinny wrote:

Hey mate, I think you need to re-look at your invoice??

Woops....typo.....$11,600...not $11,300......
Last edited by brinny on 11 Apr 2022, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2022, 8:57 pm

BRINNY : >
Yeah Mate I recall you telling me why you won't have a bar on Pulsar,,, and to be honest if I'd had similar experiences,,,,
I wouldn't go near them either.
But I can only speak as I myself can find,,,,,, and I can't fault mine.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2022, 9:37 pm

I think briny loves his gsci more than his wife and dog
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 10 Apr 2022, 9:42 pm

Scrolling through the Used Guns web site, looking at the Thermals, I noticed 1 that hasn't been mentioned on this thread. The Night Tech MS42 units.
There is obviously a reason why no-one has brought them up? The price is good, basic operation, video on the 42R model with internal memory, they run on 123 batteries, of which I have a cupboard full. Small unit, external power (power bank?) via USB C, picture in picture which looks good. Most of the work will be on a 22LR, 204R, 223R, or 6.5Grendel, 308W, recoil rated to 300WM so no problems there. So, why no mention so far? I could get a scope and a monocular for the price of some of the other scopes alone. Just wondering. Someone is going to burst my bubble, I know.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2022, 9:52 pm

madang55 wrote:Scrolling through the Used Guns web site, looking at the Thermals, I noticed 1 that hasn't been mentioned on this thread. The Night Tech MS42 units.
There is obviously a reason why no-one has brought them up? The price is good, basic operation, video on the 42R model with internal memory, they run on 123 batteries, of which I have a cupboard full. Small unit, external power (power bank?) via USB C, picture in picture which looks good. Most of the work will be on a 22LR, 204R, 223R, or 6.5Grendel, 308W, recoil rated to 300WM so no problems there. So, why no mention so far? I could get a scope and a monocular for the price of some of the other scopes alone. Just wondering. Someone is going to burst my bubble, I know.

Just by looking on "Used Guns", And, what you DON"T see tells a definite story.
I check that site every day, and I have never seen a Pulsar FXQ 50 listed for sale.

So,,,,, either I'm the only person that's ever bought one,,,,,,,, or,, They are that good, that no-one wants to sell their unit.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2022, 9:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think briny loves his gsci more than his wife and dog

I wouldn't be agreeing with your opinion there Mate.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 11 Apr 2022, 3:44 am

madang55 wrote:Scrolling through the Used Guns web site, looking at the Thermals, I noticed 1 that hasn't been mentioned on this thread. The Night Tech MS42 units.

I bought one second hand off a mate ....He had it on his 22-250 ....
He did ok with it and took a lot of foxes out to 200m with it, but most were a lot closer.......but soon realised that there are better options out there and moved it on.....
I went out with him one night and had a few shots out of it.......Have to be honest, if i was looking for a scope for a HP, it wouldnt even rate a mention....
I was looking for something for my 22 so i bought it thinking it would be ideal as shooting rabbits out to 50m would be fine.....but it didnt last long on it and i moved it on as well.....
They are VERY entry level and cheap for a very good reason.....
Very average in the optics at best.....and damn heavy on battery power......
Not interested in bursting anyones bubble.....can only tell you what it was like from personal experience.......
If thats all your budget can afford, then they are fine.....if you can spend a bit more....then there are better options out there.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 11 Apr 2022, 3:52 am

Blr243 wrote:I think briny loves his gsci more than his wife and dog

Ha ha ha.....No mate.....I just appreciate quality optics.....
Last edited by brinny on 11 Apr 2022, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 11 Apr 2022, 9:48 am

Die Judicii wrote:

Just by looking on "Used Guns", And, what you DON"T see tells a definite story.
I check that site every day, and I have never seen a Pulsar FXQ 50 listed for sale.

So,,,,, either I'm the only person that's ever bought one,,,,,,,, or,, They are that good, that no-one wants to sell their unit.

So, today on Used Guns
2 pages of adds
Private adds for Thermal Monoculars 8
Private adds for Thermal Scopes and Cip-ons 9.The rest of the adds are Dealer adds.
Most of the private sales were for Pulsars, 1 Pard, I think. Pulsar XQ38 XG50 XQ50 etc. What I don't see is any of the Night Tech being sold privately. Either they're good or no one has bought one, or, they're so bad whoever has one and isn't using it is too embarrassed to put it up for sale?
A couple of the Pulsars show some promise.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Apr 2022, 12:22 pm

Madang,,,,,,,I just had a look after reading your latest.

Not a single FXQ50 (the ones that I've got) listed.

Plenty of the other troublesome issue plagued models like the Thermion etc.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 11 Apr 2022, 1:47 pm

Yup, see your FXQ50. But, the price, $6800, way past my budget. Not many have mentioned the Pard. SA45LRF. I'm told there are a few Pro shooters out there using Pard, so they can't be that bad. There is one on UG, waiting to see how old it is. Retail about $6500, he wants half that and he's local. Might have a look.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Apr 2022, 7:29 pm

I recently purchased a new thermal scope I AIMING 4100 bucks sensor resolution 640. But no chance of a report because sadly I’m just working too much lately ....it runs on 2/18650 rechargeables. This is no big deal for me. I don’t care what powers it up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cusco » 11 Apr 2022, 11:18 pm

Just my two cents worth but comparing different models with different resolution sensors will not help in your decision, best to settle on a budget with a little bit of wiggle room. Then look at models in your budget. Most common resolution in Aust is the top 640 x 480 then 384 x 288. There are some lower resolution models out there but image quality won/t be that great. Then look at how they mount whether it is via a built in mount like Trails, Nitetech, Hikmirco or in 30mm rings like Thermions/Inifiray Tubes. If you wish to swap from gun to gun the 30mm ring set ups work pretty good. I have two Pulsar units one an old 384 res Apex and the newer Trail 2 640 res models. But the rail mount versions work OK swapping as long as you do the bolts up to the same each time. I use a torque wrench and find the zero is fine. I believe the zeroing issue with Mark 1 Trails was the actual hardware inside moving, Mark 2s from my personal use have had no probs. Do NOT touch ATN.
I shoot with lots of different guys with thermals and have had a chance to look through several model/brands/resolution and to be honest have been impressed with some of the 384 res models for their cost. Namely HiKmirco Thunder 35, various old and new Pulsars plus lately a Nitetech MSR42 which was OK for a 384 res.
Also think of the distance you will shot which then helps in deciding on base optical magnification which also affects the field of view. Do not get too excited with digital zoom as it gets pixelated as you go up. Best to look through any unit you like before buying, plus some Youtube channels have good unbiased reviews. Write up a spread sheet with ALL the specs and compare models features like recording, laser range finders etc. Before my purchases I did weeks of research before deciding.
Also some sellers offer demo nights. Good luck.
cusco
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Apr 2022, 11:51 pm

cusco wrote:Just my two cents worth but comparing different models with different resolution sensors will not help in your decision, best to settle on a budget with a little bit of wiggle room. Then look at models in your budget. Most common resolution in Aust is the top 640 x 480 then 384 x 288. There are some lower resolution models out there but image quality won/t be that great. Then look at how they mount whether it is via a built in mount like Trails, Nitetech, Hikmirco or in 30mm rings like Thermions/Inifiray Tubes. If you wish to swap from gun to gun the 30mm ring set ups work pretty good. I have two Pulsar units one an old 384 res Apex and the newer Trail 2 640 res models. But the rail mount versions work OK swapping as long as you do the bolts up to the same each time. I use a torque wrench and find the zero is fine. I believe the zeroing issue with Mark 1 Trails was the actual hardware inside moving, Mark 2s from my personal use have had no probs. Do NOT touch ATN.
I shoot with lots of different guys with thermals and have had a chance to look through several model/brands/resolution and to be honest have been impressed with some of the 384 res models for their cost. Namely HiKmirco Thunder 35, various old and new Pulsars plus lately a Nitetech MSR42 which was OK for a 384 res.
Also think of the distance you will shot which then helps in deciding on base optical magnification which also affects the field of view. Do not get too excited with digital zoom as it gets pixelated as you go up. Best to look through any unit you like before buying, plus some Youtube channels have good unbiased reviews. Write up a spread sheet with ALL the specs and compare models features like recording, laser range finders etc. Before my purchases I did weeks of research before deciding.
Also some sellers offer demo nights. Good luck.

And you do this a`t home before heading out or,,,,,, out bush if you find the need to swap ?????????????
This is the very reason I run two rifles and two thermals,, but even then still have the clip on option as added further quick,, in the field swaps.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 12 Apr 2022, 7:48 am

Cusco, thank you so much. I have my budget. I have the chance to get some one on one instruction, at night, and a separate demo night coming up. I have narrowed my selection, all I need to do is actually see for myself. I don't have an issue with the mount types. When I plan my hunts there is always a range day beforehand to ensure everything is doing what it is supposed to. So, swapping rifles isn't an issue. All I need is to buy the correct rails if that is the mounting system I end up with. The same rails will be used for my day scopes. I'm just about done thanks to the great non-biased info that has been posted.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by willowbrooktan » 12 Apr 2022, 8:05 am

Hey Die Judicii
Could you do me a favour mate & check that Model Number for the Office Works Power Pack.
Would it be Model PB15BK & not 158K ??
Many thanks
Barry
willowbrooktan
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 12 Apr 2022, 8:52 am

Barry, I just happened to look at one my power banks, no idea where my daughters partner got it but,
LAZER PB-5K-19 5000mAh. Is that close?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics