Lightweight fixed 4x

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Lightweight fixed 4x

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2022, 6:25 pm

As the title suggests,I'm keen to hear about lightweight 4x scopes. I'm getting close to starting my 250 savage build on a weatherby vanguard action ( not the best action for the job I know but its what I've got ) and one way to save weight ( aside from just going iron sights,a definite option ) is to fit it with a nice lightweight fixed 4x. I'm quite partial to my nikon 4x32 but I'm open to other experienced suggestions.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Lightweight fixed 4x

Post by Rathie » 19 Apr 2022, 8:09 pm

Leupold still make a 4x28 - not sure of parallax though. 50m?

250 savage - Nice!

Do tell more please.
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2022, 8:50 pm

Just looked it up,parallax is set at 60m,weighs about 200gm,has 4.5" of eye relief. Sounds pretty good tbh. A little on the pricey side for me atm but definitely on the cards for a rifle I'll never shoot beyond 150m.

So yeah,250 savage. Rifle is a series 1 weatherby vanguard in 22-250 my late mate left me. I believe the barrel is on its way out, regardless of that,I've always wanted a 250 savage. Planning on getting a 20" fluted barrel fitted and working on the stock etc to try and get the rifle to ~7lb scoped. That's the dream anyway. Targeted animals will be anything from rabbits up to fallow. And as I'm a pretty good stalker ( 30 years of bowhunting helps ) I don't see the need to set it up to shoot much further than 150m.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rathie » 20 Apr 2022, 7:00 am

Sounds like a great little project.

I have not yet fired a 250 savage - but I like mild cartridges when the reality of most shots at game (at least where and how I hunt) are well under 100m.

A bow hunter you say! Nothing beats being in the midst of a bunch of goats on a steep rocky granite belt mountain trying to get a draw on a freezer sized feed.

Not yet had the chance to bow hunt dear - but would give my eye teeth for the opportunity.
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 20 Apr 2022, 8:18 am

The leupolds
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 20 Apr 2022, 6:58 pm

Rathie wrote:Sounds like a great little project.

I have not yet fired a 250 savage - but I like mild cartridges when the reality of most shots at game (at least where and how I hunt) are well under 100m.

A bow hunter you say! Nothing beats being in the midst of a bunch of goats on a steep rocky granite belt mountain trying to get a draw on a freezer sized feed.

Not yet had the chance to bow hunt dear - but would give my eye teeth for the opportunity.

I used to be very keen but have slowed down with the bow in the last 5 years. Been more interested in muzzleloaders, also less time to muck around.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics