Styer Scout - Leupold VX3?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Styer Scout - Leupold VX3?

Post by ScottyD » 26 Apr 2022, 6:18 pm

I may finally being going to get a Styer Scout (in 308), and have been mulling over scope options.

I have a Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8x36 CDS-ZL on my Franchi Horizon (in 223), which I love. Sits nice and low and the glass is super clear.

I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to swap this scope to the new scout rifle, and then get something else for the Franchi. In that case I'd probably be mounting it back over the receiver, rather than in the forward position that seems suggested for the scout rifles.

The scout rifle will be for pigs (which have been getting out of control lately) in both close bush as well as occasionally more open terrain, and the Franchi will be used for lighter stuff like foxes and dogs (lots of those at moment too) out to around 300 meters.

Anyway, I'd welcome any thoughts/comments/advice.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Styer Scout - Leupold VX3?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Apr 2022, 7:26 pm

Well Scotty,
I had two scopes on different pig rifles, a 1.5- 6 and a fixed two power. My latest pigger has a VX3 1.5-5 but I have never used it (long story :( ). All three scopes were chosen for the low magnification which makes close range shooting easy with the wide field of view. It sounds like you would be doing close-in-work and the low power variables would be suited to that unless a holographic or Red Dot appealed to you. Long shots when I hunted were 100 yards and you would probably have time to crank up the magnification with a Variable.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Apr 2022, 7:52 pm

I would look for a 1 power scope for pig chasing. I had a 2-7 power wide angle scope and the 1 power is considerable better. Even a 1.5 is not close to the dedicated 1 power. My dad has a 1.5 Zeiss with about 24m field of view at 100m. It is pretty good and he loves it, but my 1 power FOV is 42m.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 27 Apr 2022, 8:58 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Pretty much confirms what I feared, sounds like 2.5 would still be a bit too much magnification at close range. No problem, I’ll leave the scope on the Franchi and get something more appropriate for the scout.

Thanks again
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics