Budget scope for Rifle Metallic Silhouette

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Budget scope for Rifle Metallic Silhouette

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 04 Jun 2022, 3:37 pm

I purchased a new Ruger American Rimfire

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimf ... /8305.html

There's a mid week rimfire rifle metallic silhouette at my club which I'd like to participate in.

In the Rimfire matches, the targets and the ranges at which they are shot are scaled down to one-fifth the size of the Centrefire match, with the chickens placed at 40m, pigs at 60m, turkeys at 77m and rams at 100m.

Budget is tight, around ~$350 including rings etc. :(

What scope would you recommend?

likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Budget scope for Rifle Metallic Silhouette

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2022, 4:00 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:I purchased a new Ruger American Rimfire

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimf ... /8305.html

There's a mid week rimfire rifle metallic silhouette at my club which I'd like to participate in.

In the Rimfire matches, the targets and the ranges at which they are shot are scaled down to one-fifth the size of the Centrefire match, with the chickens placed at 40m, pigs at 60m, turkeys at 77m and rams at 100m.

Budget is tight, around ~$350 including rings etc. :(

What scope would you recommend?

I shoot these targets fairly regularly with my Rugers, but not in competition.
I just use the AR Optics 4.5-18x40 on mine, which would likely come within your budget. $295 at Cleaver if they have stock. They do a version with a reticle you might find better for holding wind, but it's $365. The standard reticle only has a 3-minute windhold on the reticle, but if you combine it with an edge-hold on the target it should cover most normal wind conditions for the .22LR out to 100m. The ram for example is 160mm wide, or 5.5-minutes, so an edge hold (on the nose or bum) gives you 2.5-minutes of wind, plus the 3-minute reticle gives you 5.5-minutes at 100m, which is a decent wind. The Wind-Hold reticle gives you 6-minutes in 1-minute marks I think.
windhold-illuminated.jpg
windhold-illuminated.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 5749 times

This is the standard reticle.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7383#p114979

These are the targets for reference.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9562#p159167
Enjoy trying to hit these tiny bastards offhand :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 04 Jun 2022, 4:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:Enjoy trying to hit these tiny bastards offhand :-)

Geez, I had no idea just how small they are! :crazy:
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2022, 4:39 pm

likeimjohnwayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Enjoy trying to hit these tiny bastards offhand :-)

Geez, I had no idea just how small they are! :crazy:

I've gone bald trying to shoot these little pricks even when there's no wind ;-)
You need to start by finding the ammo that lets your rifle maintain 1-minute groups at 100m (5rds into 29mm consistently) off a bench, without at least that you'll struggle, in my opinion. The body mass of the ram for example is only two-minutes tall. With a two-minute rifle you'll nail it every time...off the bench. Trying to hold two-minutes offhand at 100m, for five consecutive hits, is very close to impossible :-)

I think everybody agrees that the pig at 60m is the easiest, with the body mass about 95mm by 60mm, or 5.5-minutes wide and 3.5-minutes tall. With a 1-minute rifle you should be able to hit the pig very consistently offhand, with a fair bit of practice.

The turkey is the toughest, first because the body mass is fairly small at 70mm by 50mm or 3MoA by 2.2MoA, but it also sits at an angle, so you need a different hold if the turkey faces left or right. And with the neck and head sticking out one corner of it, it can affect your sight picture, depending on which way it's facing.

I find it much easier shooting the half-scale silhouettes over open sights with the lever-action .22LR than shooting these things with a scoped bolt-action rifle.

I also strongly recommend you do tons of practice on paper cut-outs on MDF back boards, with the silhouettes facing both ways. I like MDF because of the colour blending in with dirt, but if your competition is shot against green grass or something else you might want to use a back board that gives you a similar contrast. Some clubs also shoot orange or yellow targets rather than white.

Practicing on steels you learn very little about where your misses are going and by how much, though you do get the pleasure of seeing the little buggers go down occasionally. On paper you get to see where your "group" is falling, including the misses, so you can better adjust your sights, and sight picture, to put your group over the target. And you'll see how the target facing affects where you are putting your group - it is quite different to shooting at symmetrical circular targets. You can also better see what size groups you are able to maintain at the four distances, and you will see these tighten up significantly as you practice more, which will improve your confidence. I primarily practice this sort of comp just for that reason, to improve my offhand shooting, I have zero interest in competing with others. For months at a time I manage to get out every day, regardless of wind and rain and put at least 100rds onto the silhouettes in a session. I have no idea how many rounds the really good RMS guys burn, but it's pretty easy for me to burn 20,000rds and more every year on practicing these.

To save time when practicing on the fifth-scale steels, I have a full set of twenty fixed to a wooden panel of shelves. I can put 5rds on all of them, walking back to the correct distances, then turn the panel around and shoot them all facing the other way. It saves time not having to keep standing them up. I have photos of this setup but can't find them just now, I'll try to remember to get some photos next time.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm

I started shooting Field Rifle with a fixed power 12x. Worked for me. Have a look at what other blokes at the range are using. Light weight scopes are good.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2022, 5:14 pm

I should've mentioned ease of adjustment. With the lever-action on half-scale targets, I just hold as required, with enough practice it becomes second nature as the targets are at fixed distances and are fixed sizes, and precision is less critical. On the fifth-scale targets, you really do want to dial the scope to give you a dead-on hold at each distance, though I still just hold for wind. So a "tactical" elevation turret with good feel and sound, and repeatability is important. I wouldn't recommend a scope with capped turrets for this.

And ask your club if there's any interest in doing Lever-Action MS (targets are five times larger, but no scopes, with the reduced accuracy of lever-action rifles), much more enjoyable I think. It takes a lot of dedication to stick with missing all the fifth-scale targets week after week while you're learning.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jun 2022, 9:05 am

The main thing with silhouette is repeatability in adjustments. Yes, you can hold over/under but it adds to the degree of difficulty. Being able to zero your scope for each animal and then having a scope that will reliably track up and down is key to success. The magnification is another thing that comes into play. A higher power scope makes the targets a lot bigger BUT, it also magnifies your "wobble". We've got shooters using everything from 6x up to 42x, it takes a really good shooter to hold a 42x scope steady off-hand but there are those that can. Scores achieved range from single digit up to high 30's. 40/40 scores do get shot by the top shooters on occasions.
Silhouette is a graded competition, so at a match, you are shooting against folks of similar ability to you. As you get better you go up in grade.
Go to a match, have a look at how it runs and talk to those that are there doing it. We don't bite, ( usually ), it's up to you whether you enjoy it or not, it is not compulsory to hit every target. Obviously, the more you hit the better it feels, but no-one will treat you like a leper just because you don't hit everything. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Jun 2022, 9:07 am

As an ex-silhouette shooter, for a starter scope, I think Blade's suggestions of AR Optics 4.5-18x40 is excellent and will do the job nicely for a very reasonable price. I used to run a 12x, and I found after my scores improved I preferred more magnification. 18x will be plenty for a long time, until your skills improve substantially, at which point you probably desire something fairly fancy like a nightforce.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 06 Jun 2022, 6:55 pm

I run budget scopes on all my rifles and am always in the top 6 in our club comps. Not sure what you guys can get over there but Ive mainly got nikko stirlings also got ar optics sightron and simmons. All perform well for me
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 06 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm

northdude wrote:I run budget scopes on all my rifles and am always in the top 6 in our club comps. Not sure what you guys can get over there but Ive mainly got nikko stirlings also got ar optics sightron and simmons. All perform well for me

I agree - it’s not a discipline that really demands super expensive glass. Don’t get me wrong clear glass is always nice - but the sight picture is very obvious and easy to detect. But magnification seems to help, considering you have approximately 15 seconds to break each shot - tones of time, compared with service rifle.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Jun 2022, 8:51 am

Gamerancher wrote:The main thing with silhouette is repeatability in adjustments. Yes, you can hold over/under but it adds to the degree of difficulty. Being able to zero your scope for each animal and then having a scope that will reliably track up and down is key to success.

Which make of scope has repeatable adjustments, Gamerancher? :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Jun 2022, 10:01 am

Apologies upfront for the long winded reply, but here goes,
Overall, the most popular scopes would be Leupolds with target turrets. That is not to say that there isn't shooters using high end scopes, ( Swarovski, March, etc) or, that a bunch of shooters use budget scopes. You use what you can afford and what suits you. My statement was about repeatability of adjustments not quality of glass, which for my eyes, Leupolds don't rate anywhere near the top, but their repeatability is very good and the lifetime warranty is a factor for me. I've had two back to the U.S for repairs, one of which I dropped at an event that was almost totally destroyed, (a 4.2kg rifle landing on the elevation turret from 5 foot in the air will do that). It came back with my objective lens and ocular lens/eyepiece in a brand new scope, no charge. :thumbsup:
I started over 20 years ago with a couple of Tasco target / silhouette models, cost me $400 each brand new. I then moved up to second-hand Leuies, then a few of new ones. ( All of mine are 6-20 VX111's, a couple of which have the Premier boost lens modification that takes them out to 40X) There are other brands that track well, I just have what I have. I shoot with folks that have had good runs with Swaro's, Weavers etc.
My old Tascos are still in use in our sport by the people I sold them to and they are more than happy with them.
In a major match, you will adjust at least eight times and we're not just talking a couple of clicks. Especially centrefire, where you have to adjust from 200 to 300 to 385 to 500m and back again. For my 7-08 or 6.5 it's about 14 minutes total. Rimfire is from 40 to 60 to 77 to 100m, That's about 9 minutes for my rifles using match ammo.
Even in lever action where only iron sights are allowed, you will get better results using adjustments. You can use the original barrel sights, receiver sights, ( Williams, Redfield, Lyman, etc) or any number of tang sights.
Here's a link to the website for more information on the sport. The photo at the top of the page shows our Australian team competing in an International event, all three rifles are sporting Leupolds, just sayin'... ;)
https://www.ssaa.org.au/disciplines/all ... ilhouette/
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 07 Jun 2022, 10:20 am

I agree with what Gamerancher said.
I too started out with Leupold 6.5-20 scopes, but eventually changed to fixed 24x scopes (Leupold) to save weight. I once used an Anschutz with 6.5-20x that was so close to the weight limit that I had to remove the turret caps, the bolt knob, and substituted the original wood cheek-rest for a styrofoam block. Else the rifle was over-weight and, well, rules is rules.
Leupold - up and down the elevation knobs all day. Totally repeatable.
And, a lifetime warranty (even if you're not the original owner) with service by a Leupold technician at Nioa in Brisbane, if you should ever need it. Hard to do better than that.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Jun 2022, 3:50 pm

Gamerancher,
Thank you very much for your very prompt reply :D Kinda like return mail, wasn't it :lol: As for the link, I had been thinking about practising offhand for a while, at a bench during public sessions. I am way too old now to jump straight back in but maybe one day it will happen.

And thank you too, No1 :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Jun 2022, 9:51 am

Wm, I don't know about now but, Belmont used to be quite active for silhouette. ( I think I recall you go there a bit? )
Just turn up and have a look, shoot if you want, even if your rifle is out of spec I'm sure they won't mind you having a go.

To the original poster, I' see you're in S.A, They do a bunch of silhouette at Para. Just go introduce yourself and let them know you're keen to have a crack.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jun 2022, 9:57 am

Gamerancher wrote: To the original poster, I' see you're in S.A, They do a bunch of silhouette at Para. Just go introduce yourself and let them know you're keen to have a crack.

Don't forget Monarto. An excellent range.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Jun 2022, 10:32 am

If you like wind... :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Jun 2022, 3:39 pm

Gamerancher wrote:If you like wind... :lol:

Wind!? Have you ever been to Dean Range :shock:
In 1971 the wind was horizontal and so was the rain that it drove before it. That rain was blown straight through the peep on my backsight, smack on to my eyeball :crazy: :wtf: :thumbsdown:

Gamerancher
I don't compete anymore at Belmont but shoot informally there, instead. When (how's that for confidence? :) ) my rifle and I are sorted, I will look up their calendar and go for a look and a chat :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 08 Jun 2022, 8:24 pm

Screenshot_2022-06-08-20-13-43-1.png
Screenshot_2022-06-08-20-13-43-1.png (168.52 KiB) Viewed 5543 times

This is part of the equipment list, Smallbore rifle, from the 2021 NRA Silhouette Nationals over in the States. Gamerancher might be familiar with some of this stuff :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

Yeah, Strikey, you're right mate but according to some, WTF would I know about it??? :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 09 Jun 2022, 10:07 am

surprised that there's no nigthforce on that list - reinforces everyone's advice i guess, Leupold "do the job".
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 09 Jun 2022, 7:04 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Wm, I don't know about now but, Belmont used to be quite active for silhouette. ( I think I recall you go there a bit? )
Just turn up and have a look, shoot if you want, even if your rifle is out of spec I'm sure they won't mind you having a go.

To the original poster, I' see you're in S.A, They do a bunch of silhouette at Para. Just go introduce yourself and let them know you're keen to have a crack.

Hi, yeah I'm now a member at Para.

Once I get my rifle I will contact the captain and introduce myself.

Apparently the Thursday is mainly for older blokes who just go out and have some fun, so it's a bit more relaxed.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Strikey » 09 Jun 2022, 7:46 pm

in2anity wrote:surprised that there's no nigthforce on that list - reinforces everyone's advice i guess, Leupold "do the job".

When you have weight limits on your rifle Nightforce scopes are just too heavy, if you take the weight out of the rifle to accommodate a heavy scope the rifle then becomes top heavy and unbalanced, becomes uncomfortable to hold steady while shooting offhand. Leupold scopes are light for their size, tracking is repeatable and the glass is more than good enough, also their reticles are either fine duplex or crosshair with a centre dot, you don't want a busy reticle for silhouette.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 09 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Yeah, Strikey, you're right mate but according to some, WTF would I know about it??? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: According to some, have you even shot silhouette? ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jun 2022, 7:56 pm

in2anity wrote:surprised that there's no nigthforce on that list - reinforces everyone's advice i guess, Leupold "do the job".

Most Nightcore options are pretty heavy, counts against them in this type of comp.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Jun 2022, 10:58 am

Strikey wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:Yeah, Strikey, you're right mate but according to some, WTF would I know about it??? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: According to some, have you even shot silhouette? ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:

Yep, that's how it is apparently... :unknown:
At a certain match in the U.S that I was calling, I was offered a shot in the afternoon after the first day of the lever-action rifle match.
Bloke hands me his rifle, tells me it's on the ram setting. I have 3 shots, hit the 3 rams that are left, hand him back his rifle and walk back through the small group that had gathered behind me, the doubters didn't say a word. :shock:
How did that old Mastercard advertisement go?, "Priceless" :lol: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Jun 2022, 11:20 am

likeimjohnwayne,
I believe there is a group at Para that shoot silhouette but they do so from the benches, that 'aint how the regular competition goes.
All rifle silhouette is shot standing, off-hand, unsupported. ( no slings or palm-rests)
(The only exception is BPCR where the chickens are shot off-hand, the remaining targets can be shot off cross-sticks standing, sitting or prone.)

It can be challenging, it takes a very good shooter to get to the top but it doesn't mean that the others don't have fun shooting at their standard, whatever it is.
Also, every shooter gets to shoot the same amount, unlike some disciplines where you get your chance and then sit around for the rest of the day watching the top shooters shoot off.
If it is the group at your club that shoot off the benches, by all means join in. It will get you familiar with the targets and distances and if you are happy to just do what they do, have at it. If you want to take up the discipline proper, you'll have to accept the challenge that it is.
I saw a Bushnell scope on usedguns this morning that will get you going, $220 with mounts :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by khanbabu » 19 Jul 2022, 2:00 am

Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 1in Riflescope is an excellent budget scope available under $300.
khanbabu
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics