Zero tech 1-6x24 vengeance

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Zero tech 1-6x24 vengeance

Post by Peterwho » 08 Jun 2022, 7:59 pm

I am looking for a LPVO for a couple of larger calibre rifles (9.3x62 and 404 Jeffery) and don’t wish to spend silly money. I see zero tech have released a 1-6 vengeance that has got very good reviews by a couple of American reviewers on utube. I can’t find any Australian reviews yet. Has anyone bought one or used one and can share their thoughts.

Many thanks

Peter
Peterwho
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Zero tech 1-6x24 vengeance

Post by GQshayne » 09 Jun 2022, 7:42 pm

Nope, sorry. No experience with Zerotech.

BUT, in the lower end of the quality market is GPO. They make a 1-6 x 24 illuminated and can be bought for $1200 on special (retail was $1850) last time I looked. Nice optic, and I bought one for my cousin. Compares favourably with my Swaro for half the price. I mention this in case you decide to look at other options,.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jun 2022, 8:17 pm

Are you able to save up and get something better than a cheap Chinese scope? I have a Ruger #1 in 450/400 Jeffrey and have a Leupold on it. I have fired hundreds of rounds through it without any scope dramas.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Peterwho » 09 Jun 2022, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I will check out the GPO. I have looked at Steiner, Swarovski, and some of the other european scopes. Good, very bloody good but not cheap. Occasionally, actually very occasionally you see these scopes 2nd hand but they go so dammed quick.

I was, in part, trying to see the difference between 1” and 30mm LPVOs.

I have a Leopold vx3i in 1.5-5x20 that I can use on it. Currently sits on ruger 308 gunsite scout.

Regards

Peter
Peterwho
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 09 Jun 2022, 11:47 pm

FYI GPO is assembled in China
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:FYI GPO is assembled in China

Lots of stuff is now, or uses components from there and assembled somewhere else, good stuff and cheap stuff. Not all GPO is assembled in China is my understanding, just the cheaper stuff. Swarovski get glass made in Asia, as do many others.

I think nowadays you need to judge stuff on its merits, not only on where some or all of it is made. My 2c.

The 1-6 x 24 GPO is a nice clear optic, with a red dot that works well. Well worth its price in my view.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jun 2022, 7:24 pm

Peterwho wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I will check out the GPO. I have looked at Steiner, Swarovski, and some of the other european scopes. Good, very bloody good but not cheap. Occasionally, actually very occasionally you see these scopes 2nd hand but they go so dammed quick.

I was, in part, trying to see the difference between 1” and 30mm LPVOs.

I have a Leopold vx3i in 1.5-5x20 that I can use on it. Currently sits on ruger 308 gunsite scout.

Regards

Peter

Field of view is one area that separates many of them, with the 30mm stuff having the best from what I have seen. Your Leupold Vx3 has a field of view of 20.6m wide at 100m. My Swaorovski 1-6 has a FOV of 42.5m at 100m. Get a moving target at close range, and that is a distinct advantage.

Glass quality is another factor, and is most noticeable in low light. And some red dot scopes are not useful in full daylight conditions. My Swaro is, so is the GPO and the Kahles 1-5. I have seen a couple that were not.

Depends on what your needs are. For me, field of view, a red dot that works at 10am, and glass that is clear when the sun has dipped are the main priorities. The GPO fits well for the price. The Swaro is excellent, and has the best red dot operation I have seen, but is priced accordingly. Leupold have a VX5HD, but I have not been able to look at one of those to comment on it. Priced well at around $1500.

I have not looked at the cheaper stuff much, apart from a Meopta Optika - red dot not visible in bright light, and it felt very heavy. Looked at a $450 Vortex 1-4 today, but same red dot problem.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics