Anyone use a Leupold VX-Hog?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Anyone use a Leupold VX-Hog?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 05 Jul 2022, 9:10 pm

Any of you blokes using a Leupold vx-hog 1-4x20? I am looking at buying one second hand but haven't been able to find much info.
Quality wise where do they fit amongst the normal vx range? would they be comparable to the current vx-freedoms?

I see they have written PIG PLEX on the reticle, that is a shame but I don't think it'll stop me from buying it
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Anyone use a Leupold VX-Hog?

Post by wrenchman » 05 Jul 2022, 10:17 pm

if you can get it for a good price get it i have been looking for one for a few years.
i like them and if you hunt where your shots are up and close they are great i want one for my henry steel boy 357
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 06 Jul 2022, 6:25 am

wrenchman wrote:if you can get it for a good price get it i have been looking for one for a few years.
i like them and if you hunt where your shots are up and close they are great i want one for my henry steel boy 357

I'm looking at buying one from a bloke that is in excellent unmarked condition, what would you say is a fair price? Looks like he is chasing $350
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 06 Jul 2022, 10:03 am

I like to hunt pigs on foot, up close in the thick stuff a lot of the time. The choice of scope is important in this situation, as field of view determines your target acquisition, especially on a target that is rapidly departing. If the field of view is only average, it makes a big difference.

I have looked at a lot of scopes in this category in recent times, including the Leupold offerings. The glass looks good, so no criticism there, but the field of view is not very good. The VX5 is reasonable in this regard, but at a much higher price. The 1.5 - 4 FOV is 22m, and the VX5 1-5 FOV is 36m. As a comparison, my Swarovski 1-6 FOV is 42.5m. But at a price.

In the lower price point there are some good options though. When I went to look at some just over a week ago, the new new button battery laws meant a couple had been removed form sale, so that is a problem at the moment. Assuming this gets sorted out quickly, Nikko make a 1-4 with a FOV of 48m. Bushnell make one that is ok too from memory. But in the end we got the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6, for about $450. Glass is good, field of view is good without being excellent at 35.5m. But that is a lot more than the Leupold pig plexs' 22m.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 06 Jul 2022, 10:49 am

Thanks Shayne, that is bloody interesting. I can honestly say I've never considered FOV when considering scopes, I even had to do a quick google search before typing this to make sure I definitely knew what you were talking about.

I love Leupold glass and the way they look on a rifle, for the price range I like to stay in I just can't enjoy looking through other the scopes on offer so I'm a shocker for refusing to buy anything other than Leupolds haha
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 06 Jul 2022, 7:56 pm

People can be brand loyal, no doubt. I am not really. My Z6 Swarovski is excellent, but I would look at the VX5 Leupold as a substitute for it. The VX5 is very light compared to others in the same class. The lighter the scope, the better the rifle will point. Do a quick target spot with a bare rifle, and then compare it with the extra weight of mounts, rings and a scope. It all has an effect. It is light but the FOV is less than the Swaro.

When it comes to close rage moving targets, field of view is a high priority for me. Get an average scope and spot a target with it as quick as you can, and then compare that to one with a superior field of view. It will surprise you if you have not experienced it before.

That is why I mentioned the Vortex, as it was close to your price point. The glass was nice, and compared well with the 1.5-4 Leupold. It has an AR reticle which I do not like though. I did not get to look at the Nikko unfortunately.

If you like Leupold, I would save your money up and have a look at the VX5 when they are back in the country. The 1-5 has a reasonable field of view. It is not as good as the more expensive scopes such as the Swarovski or the 1-5 Kahles, but it is a lot better than the 1.5-4 by a long way.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 08 Jul 2022, 1:34 am

New here in the states they run about 300 that seems on the high side for a used scope but I don't know your market and one of the guys that are familiar with this would have to let you know
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jul 2022, 7:42 pm

If it's the reticle I'm thinking of,,,, A medium thickness cross hair with a circle included, and an illuminated dot center ??
I had one and sold it flat out like lizard drinking. Hated it.

Far too busy and complicated for my likings.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics