focusing nikko stirling scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

focusing nikko stirling scope

Post by waimo » 12 Jul 2022, 6:00 pm

Just wanting to know how to focus the reticle of an el cheapo nikko stirling mountmaster 4-12 power scope. Manual that came with it said to adjust the fast focus eyepiece which it hasnt got . Any nikko stirling owners adjusted one before ?
waimo
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: focusing nikko stirling scope

Post by deye243 » 12 Jul 2022, 6:35 pm

I am not a Nico owner but it's the same as virtually any other standard scope you undo the lock ring of the ocular lens housing and rotate it in or out do not continuously look through the scope best-practice look up at the sky take a quick look over a few seconds then look away and adjust it necessary until the rec is crisp and clear then re-tighten off
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 12 Jul 2022, 7:01 pm

Even the cheapo chinese junk scopes have a focus on the reticle, it should rotate right next to where your eye goes.
Nikko Stirling are the next level up, or maybe two levels up, they are a good budget scope so they should certainly have that adjustment.

I find it best to point the scope at a solid, light, colour like clouds or blue sky and adjust till the cross-haris are as sharp as they can be, if you have parallax/ AO adjustment keep that for the distance setting.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 12 Jul 2022, 10:20 pm

deye243 wrote:I am not a Nico owner but it's the same as virtually any other standard scope you undo the lock ring of the ocular lens housing and rotate it in or out do not continuously look through the scope best-practice look up at the sky take a quick look over a few seconds then look away and adjust it necessary until the rec is crisp and clear then re-tighten off

I think you've got confused about what the OP asked.
He asked about focusing the reticle. That is normally done with the adjustable eyepiece.
What you are talking about will (if it's possible) adjust the parallax which is NOT the same as focusing the reticle.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 10:40 pm

No1_49er wrote:
deye243 wrote:I am not a Nico owner but it's the same as virtually any other standard scope you undo the lock ring of the ocular lens housing and rotate it in or out do not continuously look through the scope best-practice look up at the sky take a quick look over a few seconds then look away and adjust it necessary until the rec is crisp and clear then re-tighten off

He asked about focusing the reticle. That is normally done with the adjustable eyepiece.
What you are talking about will (if it's possible) adjust the parallax which is NOT the same as focusing the reticle.

No, he's correct. I think you are thinking of an adjustable objective or AO scope which uses a ring around the objective lens (rather than the ocular) to adjust for parallax.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Jul 2022, 11:45 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Ok and what do you think the ocular lens is I did not say objective
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2022, 1:16 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by waimo » 13 Jul 2022, 3:09 am

why I am asking is that when I viewed a you tube video saying how to properly focus the reticle the guy said to start by winding the eyepiece all the way out until it stops then winding in until focused. Manual that came with scope shows a fast focus eyepiece which this scope does not have . Must have to move adjust the whole eye piece after loosening lock ring. If you unscrew the eyepiece the whole ocular lens thread about 30mm down from the eyepiece just screws right out on a long thread.
waimo
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 13 Jul 2022, 4:45 am

The instructions are generic. Just wind the eye piece in or out to focus it. Most of my scopes are nikkos. Mountmaster is one of their entry level scopes Ive got a couple on 22rf. Good scope for the money..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2022, 11:19 am

northdude wrote: The instructions are generic. Just wind the eye piece in or out to focus it. Most of my scopes are nikkos. Mountmaster is one of their entry level scopes Ive got a couple on 22rf. Good scope for the money..

And like someone said:

Look at the sky for a few seconds, then through scope. Adjust till clear. And repeat a few times until no adjust is required.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 13 Jul 2022, 12:40 pm

deye243 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:
deye243 wrote:Ok and what do you think the ocular lens is I did not say objective

Sorry, my bad. Mis-read ocular and objective.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 13 Jul 2022, 5:56 pm

No1_49er wrote:
deye243 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:
deye243 wrote:Ok and what do you think the ocular lens is I did not say objective

Sorry, my bad. Mis-read ocular and objective.

I know the feeling :crazy: :allegedly:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jul 2022, 6:08 pm

rc42 wrote:Even the cheapo chinese junk scopes have a focus on the reticle, it should rotate right next to where your eye goes.
Nikko Stirling are the next level up, or maybe two levels up, they are a good budget scope so they should certainly have that adjustment.

I find it best to point the scope at a solid, light, colour like clouds or blue sky and adjust till the cross-haris are as sharp as they can be, if you have parallax/ AO adjustment keep that for the distance setting.

It is a bit of a stretch to call a Nikko Sterling a "good budget scope" they are an entry level scope that use poor quality glass, probably from the same lens makers that supply Chinese scope makers.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 13 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

Actually some Nikko Sterling scopes have good glass , its the internal engineering that breaks down .
Anyway to focus the reticule using the ocular housing thread . Sight the scope at the sky , then adjust the ocular housing until the reticule is as sharp as you can get then lock it there .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by waimo » 13 Jul 2022, 6:47 pm

I obviously unscrewed the incorrect union , Manual said unscrew eyepiece which is what I did . Will screw back up tight and loosen lock ring .
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (594.71 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
waimo
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by No1_49er » 13 Jul 2022, 7:02 pm

Looks like its probably been "de-gassed" now. Might have some interesting fogging problems when you have a sudden change in temperature.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 13 Jul 2022, 7:08 pm

Oh that’s not good
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 13 Jul 2022, 7:26 pm

A friend might have a mig welder and some Argon gas that you could use in the scope. Argon is a good alternative it is also used by divers in dry suits due to its thermal insulation properties.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JohnV » 13 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm

Bummer . Hard to say how that will affect the scope .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Boundry Rider » 13 Jul 2022, 8:31 pm

The lock ring you should have loosened is the thin knurled ring behind the power ring. Once loosened you could have easily turned the entire eyepiece until focus is achieved, then retighten the lock ring.
As said you have now purged the nitrogen gas from your scope. Did you not read the instruction manual? Google is your friend if you dont have one.
Last edited by Boundry Rider on 13 Jul 2022, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 13 Jul 2022, 8:34 pm

JohnV wrote:Actually some Nikko Sterling scopes have good glass , its the internal engineering that breaks down .
Anyway to focus the reticule using the ocular housing thread . Sight the scope at the sky , then adjust the ocular housing until the reticule is as sharp as you can get then lock it there .

yes they do. was out on the weekend with 2 rifles one had a nikko stirling gold crown air king and the other was a bushnell ar optics. Was looking at a distant mob of goats through the bushnell and it wasn't clear at all it just wouldn't focus and I was looking at fuzzy shapes. I grabbed the wifes rifle with the NS on it and the difference was like night and day could clearly make out the goats with the Nikko stirling going to get rid of the bushnell only problem is I cant find another 2x air kings over here to replace a couple of scopes..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 11:16 am

I have a Nikko Platinum 4 to 12 x 50 and the optics are great , good light gathering at dusk and sharp image but the turret clicks are very average accuracy and the objective bell parallax adjustment sloppy . It holds zero but does not produce as tight a group as other scopes I have so I don't use it anymore . If the OP has buggered his scope now , then I would be happy to send him the Nikko Platinum scope free as it should still be ok for minute of goat or pig .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 14 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

Oh geez
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jul 2022, 8:26 pm

northdude wrote:
JohnV wrote:Actually some Nikko Sterling scopes have good glass , its the internal engineering that breaks down .

yes they do. was out on the weekend with 2 rifles one had a nikko stirling gold crown air king and the other was a bushnell ar optics. Was looking at a distant mob of goats through the bushnell and it wasn't clear at all it just wouldn't focus and I was looking at fuzzy shapes. I grabbed the wifes rifle with the NS on it and the difference was like night and day could clearly make out the goats with the Nikko stirling going to get rid of the bushnell only problem is I cant find another 2x air kings over here to replace a couple of scopes..

I will take your word for it, everyone I have seen has had woeful glass. Some people have problems giving their Nikko away for free... :shock: :o
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 15 Jul 2022, 9:04 pm

Ill take any gold crown air kings 4-12x and any night eaters if your giving them away. Not sure what the deal is getting them out of aus. could pay postage..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 16 Jul 2022, 12:37 pm

Lets not get carried away my offer was to help out one guy "IF "he has buggered his scope up . Not supply the forum with free scopes , nice try though .
There are no restrictions on posting optical scopes no different to a camera lens or telescope .
Last edited by JohnV on 16 Jul 2022, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 16 Jul 2022, 12:42 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
northdude wrote:

I will take your word for it, everyone I have seen has had woeful glass. Some people have problems giving their Nikko away for free... :shock: :o

I have no doubt that some are bad optics but the two that I have owned it was not the optics that was lacking so much . Bought a new cheap Chinese made Bushnell off a bloke at the range for $40 just to check it out and the optics in that scope is ordinary .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 16 Jul 2022, 2:18 pm

Yea but what do honestly expect from a sub $300 dollar scope, Myself not much but some of them are good value for the money. And I wont be to bothered if it takes a hit and is a write off either..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Scopes, sights and optics