Changing thermal onto another rifle

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Changing thermal onto another rifle

Post by JimTom » 13 Jul 2022, 4:18 pm

G’day Night hunters

I currently have my thermal mounted on my 6.5 Creedmoor (my dedicated night rig), and after I had commented on a post made by CT Hillbilly, where I stated I was happy with the 6.5 performance, I started to think about things.

Firstly, the cartridge is great for pigs, deer, dogs etc, no complaints there, however I started to think about range etc. Most of the thermal work is done under 100m and utilising a longer range cartridge like the 6.5CM seems a bit of a waste, when I could use it during the day and stretch it’s legs so to speak.

Next draw back is that the magazine capacity is 3 rounds, so not ideal when trying to eliminate a mob of pigs, and it is bloody noisy so after the first shot everything within miles is aware. I watched a fella on the yootoob using subsonic loads and he was able to take a couple before they were onto it.

Ok, so here’s my alternative, and before the haters get into me, :lol: , I have taken plenty of pigs with this cartridge between 5m and 200m, so I am happy with its capabilities, particularly sub 150m which is where the thermal action takes place.

I have a Ruger American Ranch, with a ten shot mag that is chambered in……….here it comes…….300AAC.
Plenty of rounds in the mag, and I have an accurate subsonic load for it already, plus accurate super loads. I have shed loads of cases which I have manufactured from old 222 and 223 cases so losing the odd one won’t matter, where as a Lapua 6.5 case is worth a few bucks nowadays.

I know a suggestion will be to get QRW rings and swap it around however I prefer a dedicated night rig.

What do you gents think? Please discuss. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Changing thermal onto another rifle

Post by scoot » 13 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

I swap between 3 rifles. The qd mounts make it quicker obviously. If you have a thermion you could get a qd unimount for ease of swap over. Save the different zero profiles and go.
You'll probably find even descent rings will give a reasonable return to zero just a bit longer to swap, no big deal. I recheck when changing over to be sure but on pig size targets at closer thermal ranges you'll find its in the zone good enough.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2022, 6:14 pm

I like a strictly night rig too , and because of the dark advantage I just walk right up to 25 m then do it . So Mostly no need for a flat shooter.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm

I did find 300 AAC subs were next to completely useless
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2022, 6:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:I did find 300 AAC subs were next to completely useless

Because of the cartridge or because of the bullet you were using?
Subsonic hunting loads are all about the bullet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 13 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I did find 300 AAC subs were next to completely useless

Because of the cartridge or because of the bullet you were using?
Subsonic hunting loads are all about the bullet.

Very interested in your experiences here mate. I know Hornady have a 190gn sub X bullet that would be the goods I reckon. I typically shoot pigs in the neck or head anyways so I was thinking subs would be ok.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2022, 7:25 pm

I had subsonic design bullets made by Nosler I think they were 220. They were not opening up like a Lehigh or copper subsonic raptors . They were useless . Even with the most expensive hard to source special sub pills they just don’t have the energy to do the job properly..If I pursue anything sub in the future it will be 400 grainers soft lead with big Meplat in my 4570 / more than likely with a homemade cone shaped h p drilling too I think sub in 30 cal should be brain shots at relaxed animals close range only . I get the idea about not scaraing away other pigs and preserving g the hearing of our hunting hounds but I also feel terrible about something running off wounded and suffering weeks before dying
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cusco » 15 Jul 2022, 10:52 pm

Hi all, just from my experience I swap my 2 Thermals around a far bit.
First one is a 7 years old Pulsar Apex which if I do the 2 bolts up to the same torque each time find the zero pretty good. The other scope is a newer Pulsar Trail 2 XP50LRF which did come with the same mount as the older Apex but I managed to get a Bobro QD mount from the US which is so dam good I just swap the scope from rifle to rifle and find the zero perfect. If the thermal is a 30mm tube version like Thermions etc standard good quality QD rings work fine as I know a few guys who use same with no issues.
Another trick I use on the old Apex with its only 3 profiles is to actually reset the X/Y coordinates in the zeroing menu when swapping. This gives me more zeroing profiles.
A good tip is to all ways record your X/Y coordinates for each profile.
By the way the Bobro mount will fit the Pulsar -Trails, Apexs, Digisights, Inifray -Ricos, Saims and Night Tech ( which I believe are rebranded Inifrays)
cusco
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 16 Jul 2022, 5:40 am

Thanks mate. I am
Running a pulsar Thermion so standard 30mm rings.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jul 2022, 9:31 am

Good tip Cusco regarding recording the. X y coordinate s. I had not thought of that . I struggle with the pulsar zeroing process at times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics