First time scope buyer (to go on LA102)

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

First time scope buyer (to go on LA102)

Post by Heisenburger » 16 Jul 2022, 5:46 pm

Hi fellas,

Just got myself a lovely LA102 in .223 and looking to chuck a scope on it. Looking to do a mix of mostly target shooting (Max 500ish meters?) with a little hunting thrown in on the odd occasion. Currently tossing up between the Meopta Optika5 3-15x44 and the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40. I've heard great things about Meopta optics in general and am leaning towards it, but the lifetime warranty and reputation of the Leupolds is hard to look past. For comparison the Optika has a 10 year warranty with registration. Not to mention Meoptas are heavy as balls from what I've heard. Any advice on a starter scope and rings to suit would be appreciated! :D
Heisenburger
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: First time scope buyer (to go on LA102)

Post by solarpak » 20 Jul 2022, 9:14 pm

Yep - the heavy thing in the equation is the LA102 rifle .....probbaly pushing 3.6 kgs bare - ad a scope and it quickly goes over 4 kgs .....but as yours will be a target unit mainly it isn't a huge issue.
The Meopta Optics are nice - BUT the hideous turret caps and power magnification dial completely spoil the great scope.
I would look at the Meopta Meopro - and the 6-18x50 is an excellent model with a choice of reticles. I have one on my Howa /McMillan 223 and cant fault it.
If your set in a Leupy - forget the Freedom and look at the VX3 or VX5 range - more money than the Meopta Meopro through.

Cheers
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by teabagga » 21 Jul 2022, 10:25 am

You will be happy with either meopta or leupold. If this is your first scope then I wouldn’t spend too much first up, you will work out what you like and what you don’t like about a scope and what works for you later on with use. You will probably end up selling your first scope to facilitate an upgrade so don’t worry too much about the warranty.

Leupold
Meopta
Vixen

Will all do the job nicely and keep the price down. Don’t be afraid to buy second hand either, I buy and sell a lot of rifles and optics and in general people don’t really use their equipment much because they don’t have time, so you can find pretty good value there.
teabagga
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 21 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

I have a mixture of scopes including Meopta and Leopold and I would not recommend a Leupold Freedom for your use at all.
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 21 Jul 2022, 2:51 pm

A 3-9 scope out to 500m will be a serious handicap. A 14 or 15x scope would be better for sure
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Heisenburger » 21 Jul 2022, 8:04 pm

Evening lads,

Thanks heaps for the replies! Reckon I'll go the Meopta route, seem to hear bad things about the VX-Freedoms all the time. Any advise on which reticle and mounting rings to pick?

Solarpak mate what's wrong with the turret caps etc? Can't see a functional issue, maybe just an aesthetic thing aye?
Heisenburger
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bman940 » 21 Jul 2022, 10:43 pm

Jump all over that Meopta Optika5 riflescope. It is more streamlined than its big brother, the Optika6. That being said, do you want to use bullet drops, easy to do and very accurate as long as you enter good ballistic data. Choose the Z-Plus reticle and use Strelok Pro for the drops. If you want to dial and use drops, take a look at the Optika6 3-18x50 FFP. 1 of my favorite scopes that has been on everything from a cal. .17 springer air rifle all the up to a .375 H&H. Whichever Meopta scope you choose you will get a lot of value with the purchase compared to other optics.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Heisenburger » 22 Jul 2022, 10:19 pm

G'day bman. Cheers for the advise, reckon I'll jump on the Optika 5 3-15x44, not sure yet on bullet drops and windage etc yet haha still a newbie. Their website reckons the Z-Plus reticle has a 3MOA dot, you reckon this will be alright? I imagine the standard reticle would be a fair bit smaller covering up less of the target. Also is the illuminated reticle battery powered? Not sure how that works yet haha. Also you got any quality scope ring recommendations?
Heisenburger
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jul 2022, 10:23 pm

Benchrest out to 500 metres, you are going to need at least 30x. Nightforce make some very handy scopes for competition.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 23 Jul 2022, 10:53 am

A 3 MOA dot will not be suitable for target work esp out to distance No way at 500yrd It would cover nearly any target so you couldnt see it or aim small.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Heisenburger » 24 Jul 2022, 2:34 pm

G'day Larry. Yeah thought as much, so you'd recommend going with the standard Z-plex reticle? Reckon that'll be suitable for piss farting around with some targets?

SCJ429 you might be right mate, but I'm not looking to get into any serious competition target shooting at all so not sure I'm too fussed with seeing my hits as close as humanly possible. That and I'd like the rifle to be reasonably usable for shorter distance stuff too
Heisenburger
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm

Heisenburger wrote:G'day Larry. Yeah thought as much, so you'd recommend going with the standard Z-plex reticle? Reckon that'll be suitable for piss farting around with some targets?

SCJ429 you might be right mate, but I'm not looking to get into any serious competition target shooting at all so not sure I'm too fussed with seeing my hits as close as humanly possible. That and I'd like the rifle to be reasonably usable for shorter distance stuff too

If you don't have enought magnification you won't see your bullet holes at all. Extra magnification also helps reduce aiming errors. For 100 metre bench work, more magnification is also very handy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by T3X@N » 10 Sep 2022, 7:05 pm

Have you considered Element Optics? They have 3 different lines of scopes to suit most budgets. Personally I like the Leupolds, Ozzie Reviews gives them a good wrap on YouTube. Only reason I didnt put one of my ..3 is for aesthetics (I don't like the gold ring around them).
T3X@N
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics