OWL-NV L3 mounting issue

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

OWL-NV L3 mounting issue

Post by Pighunter » 24 Aug 2022, 11:25 pm

Hey buds, my mate has an OWL-NV L3 scope and we're trying it out on a Howa 1500 Mini Action .223. The issue we've found is The scope is pointed too high to zero it. Obviously it's a digital scope so the zeroing is done on screen by moving the crosshair across the screen and not by simply adjusting the turrets.
Which is fine but the scope is physically pointed too high to zero and I'm not sure why it's happening I don't think the rail we're using has any MOA so it shouldn't be an issue.
Now the scope's instruction manual is straight doodoo. It doesn't give us any useful information. It tells us in the included items we have two spacer gaskets and two grub screw things. For the life of me I have no idea what the grub screws are for. The spacer gaskets without it telling me what they're for I simply put them under the last screw to try and negate the cant/elevation of the scope which did seem to work a little bit.
So I guess what I'm asking here is has anyone had this issue with the PARDs or with the OWL and any idea how to fix it. My thoughts would be maybe buy some washers from bunnings and cut them to be flat on two sides so they fit in similar to the spacer gaskets that came with it.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: OWL-NV L3 mounting issue

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2022, 6:10 am

Pighunter wrote:Hey buds, my mate has an OWL-NV L3 scope and we're trying it out on a Howa 1500 Mini Action .223. The issue we've found is The scope is pointed too high to zero it. Obviously it's a digital scope so the zeroing is done on screen by moving the crosshair across the screen and not by simply adjusting the turrets.
Which is fine but the scope is physically pointed too high to zero and I'm not sure why it's happening I don't think the rail we're using has any MOA so it shouldn't be an issue.
Now the scope's instruction manual is straight doodoo. It doesn't give us any useful information. It tells us in the included items we have two spacer gaskets and two grub screw things. For the life of me I have no idea what the grub screws are for. The spacer gaskets without it telling me what they're for I simply put them under the last screw to try and negate the cant/elevation of the scope which did seem to work a little bit.
So I guess what I'm asking here is has anyone had this issue with the PARDs or with the OWL and any idea how to fix it. My thoughts would be maybe buy some washers from bunnings and cut them to be flat on two sides so they fit in similar to the spacer gaskets that came with it.

I think a lot of people use adjustable mounts like this. It lets you zero things that don't have enough adjustment in them.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16310
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 25 Aug 2022, 12:25 pm

Check the zb lite pro universal mount thread . I have a screenshot of where to get an adjustable mount like I use for an owl l3. Shimming seems to be the common " fix" for these types of scopes but i just went straight for the adjustable mount and pre-emted any mounting alignment issues.
Grub screws I think from memory are spares or locking screws for the laser. I'd have to check but I know I haven't used them.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Pighunter » 25 Aug 2022, 1:23 pm

I might see if we can swing to Brisbane and pick one up today. So we can get it sorted before we go hunting tomorrow. Thanks Scoot and thanks Bladeracer
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics