Do you use open sights with your .22 LR rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Do you use open sights with your .22 LR rifle?

Post by northdude » 21 Sep 2022, 11:46 am

Just picked up a sportsman 5 so will be now
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Barbarian » 21 Sep 2022, 12:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:I visited a dealer the other day that has scopes on display that are attached to dummy stocks. I tried shouldering one of these left handed to see how that would work. I couldn't get my head properly positioned to line up my left eye with the scope reticle. I thought that was a bit strange because I have no such issue when shouldering right handed and putting my right eye to the scope.

I have similar issues myself, I think it's just because I don't have a natural left-handed position that fits a rifle's ergonomics. If you watch a right-hander the first time they try to shoulder a rifle they rarely just fall into the right position. These things take practice. I can shoot left-handed, but it is not natural, I have to concentrate on getting myself positioned. I can't just shoulder from a low carry and fire like I can right-handed. I think it's why a lot of left-handers can't make a "simple" transition to right-handed rifles and guns.

Like anything, muscle memory plays a big part. If I'm going to be shooting a rifle anywhere other than prone off a bipod I will naturally prefer a LH set up because I'm Left eye dominant, learned to shoot left handed with my old man being Left handed too.

I've only got better shooting right handed as I've practiced more and more with milsurps. These days I try to practice positional shooting with my non dominant hand more and more as sometimes the obstacle at a PRS type/Precision Steel match can favor one side over the other.

But on the topic of .22LR and Irons, I definitely think they have their place, no batteries to go dead and easy to clean if you get it in the mud.

I use all sorts.

My Browning Pump Action has Irons

My Winchester Pump Acton has a 1-5 german post

My Lithgow bolt action wears either a 3-9 duplex or a 4-16 depending on what I'm doing.

On the other hand, all my shotguns have Red Dots bar the Doubles.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by jwai86 » 26 Sep 2022, 3:04 pm

Whatever the case may be, I'm feeling pessimistic about overcoming my ergonomic issues. At least they have been identified before any serious money has been spent.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2022, 5:11 pm

jwai86 wrote:I visited a dealer the other day that has scopes on display that are attached to dummy stocks. I tried shouldering one of these left handed to see how that would work. I couldn't get my head properly positioned to line up my left eye with the scope reticle. I thought that was a bit strange because I have no such issue when shouldering right handed and putting my right eye to the scope.

It is possible the shop's demo unit was just a poorly set up display. Properly set up, the scope should fall directly in front of your eye, with a good consistent cheek weld. Without the cheek weld it can be tricky aligning your eye behind the scope, particularly at higher magnifications as the exit pupil decreases in size. A 4x40 scope has a 10mm exit pupil (objective lens diameter divided by magnification), larger than your own pupil so it should be very easy to see through. A 20x40 scope has a 2mm exit pupil, and quite difficult to settle behind. My 10-40x50 at full power has an exit pupil only 1.25mm in diameter - you really will struggle trying to see through it without supporting your face on the stock. The exit pupil is the "tube" of light coming through the scope to your eye. I think the "ideal" is about 7mm for most people, and there is little to gain by going larger than your own pupil diameter.

If you're going to use iron sights you want a lower comb on the stock, if you're going to scope it you'll want a higher comb. If you want to be able to swap between them then you really want an adjustable comb, or the simplest compromise, a removable cheek piece.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 28 Sep 2022, 11:45 pm

jwai86 wrote:I would have liked to try the experience of shooting a rifle using open sights, but the issue of cross eye dominance comes up. Being right handed but left eye dominant is easy to work around when using a handgun, but not so much with a longarm. I'm aware that there are workarounds such as shooting left-handed, but it may be easier to simply forgo the idea of trying out open sights and stick to using a scope.

Could you walk me through how you shoot being right handed and left eye dominant?

My daughter is the same and I haven't really come up with a good solution yet. She has been shooting with a scoped 22 benchrest and right handed, but with the scope aligned with her left eye. This puts the buttstock out of the shoulder, which is ok for a 22LR, maybe not ok for something with more recoil.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 29 Sep 2022, 10:26 am

Biscuits wrote:Could you walk me through how you shoot being right handed and left eye dominant?

My daughter is the same and I haven't really come up with a good solution yet. She has been shooting with a scoped 22 benchrest and right handed, but with the scope aligned with her left eye. This puts the buttstock out of the shoulder, which is ok for a 22LR, maybe not ok for something with more recoil.

I'm not sure that I have an entirely satisfactory solution, but what I've done on previous occasions is shoulder the rifle in a right handed position, close my left eye and line up the scope to my right eye.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 21 Dec 2022, 10:57 pm

This week, I finally got to handle some rimfire rifles at a couple of gun shops in Sydney. As previously mentioned, the only way my eyesight properly lines up with a scope is if I use only my right eye. I tried looking through the open sights on a Ruger American Rimfire in the same way. The rear sight was easily in focus, but I could not get my right eye to do the same for the front post. That doesn't seem like a good sign.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2022, 12:37 am

jwai86 wrote:This week, I finally got to handle some rimfire rifles at a couple of gun shops in Sydney. As previously mentioned, the only way my eyesight properly lines up with a scope is if I use only my right eye. I tried looking through the open sights on a Ruger American Rimfire in the same way. The rear sight was easily in focus, but I could not get my right eye to do the same for the front post. That doesn't seem like a good sign.

Sheesh.

Your right handed, use your right eye, forget using your left.
Either:
1. Close your left eye all the time or as someone said just before you shoot.
Or.
2. As No1 said put a patch over your left eye.

I have the same issue. (seems plenty do) Even with the 12g I close my left eye. It's not a big deal and it soon becomes automatic.

You only lose about 20% of your field of view. Not 50% as you would expect. If your worried about field of view consider low powered scopes,,,say a 4x. Or red dots. Or even reflex sight.

Iron sights. It's a good idea to learn to use them. I always liked peep sights and have one on my ML. But I always use a scope on all other rifles now due to old eyes. And they are more precise.
If you buy a scope don't buy too cheap.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 22 Dec 2022, 7:18 am

Oldbloke wrote:Sheesh.

Your right handed, use your right eye, forget using your left.
Either:
1. Close your left eye all the time or as someone said just before you shoot.
Or.
2. As No1 said put a patch over your left eye.

I have the same issue. (seems plenty do) Even with the 12g I close my left eye. It's not a big deal and it soon becomes automatic.

You only lose about 20% of your field of view. Not 50% as you would expect. If your worried about field of view consider low powered scopes,,,say a 4x. Or red dots. Or even reflex sight.

Iron sights. It's a good idea to learn to use them. I always liked peep sights and have one on my ML. But I always use a scope on all other rifles now due to old eyes. And they are more precise.
If you buy a scope don't buy too cheap.

I do close my left eye when using a scope, and never said that doing so was a problem. My issue is that I can't get the front sight to show up clearly while doing this for open sights on a rifle.

I have a Hawke 3-9x40mm AO scope on hand that now needs a rifle to be mounted to.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2022, 9:25 am

jwai86 wrote:This week, I finally got to handle some rimfire rifles at a couple of gun shops in Sydney. As previously mentioned, the only way my eyesight properly lines up with a scope is if I use only my right eye. I tried looking through the open sights on a Ruger American Rimfire in the same way. The rear sight was easily in focus, but I could not get my right eye to do the same for the front post. That doesn't seem like a good sign.

The solution is a peep sight. And get your eyes tested
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 22 Dec 2022, 10:14 pm

OBs point about getting your eyes tested is a good one. If you can, find an optometrist who is into shooting. I go to one and it’s most helpful as we get older.

Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 27 Dec 2022, 5:17 pm

I'll hold off on the optometrist for the time being. I could simply be getting things wrong with those particular open sights. If the situation can't be improved, forgoing open sights on a rifle is something I can live with.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2022, 6:10 pm

jwai86 wrote:I'll hold off on the optometrist for the time being. I could simply be getting things wrong with those particular open sights. If the situation can't be improved, forgoing open sights on a rifle is something I can live with.

The test is free every 2 years. Cost nothing and eliminates 1 possibility.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics