Peep / Aperture Sight for Rossi 92

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Peep / Aperture Sight for Rossi 92

Post by N.Field » 30 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

Are any Rossi 92 owners here using aperture sights and, if so, what type and did you need to change the front sight?

I have in mind to use one of these from XS on a .38/.357 20 inch carbine. I originally had it on a Win 94AE where it mounted on the predrilled scope holes.

Mine is threaded on the inside on the ghost ring and will take Williams apertures.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Peep / Aperture Sight for Rossi 92

Post by yoshie » 30 Sep 2022, 2:13 pm

I put a Skinner peep on mine, I'd take a photo but it currently has a Pic rail on it with a red dot.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Over The Hill » 30 Sep 2022, 5:09 pm

Not a Rossi but I have a lyman sight on my Chiappa 92. Not sure if the screw spacing is the same tho. This model sight requires exact spacing for the screws however there are some types that have slotted holes allowing for some variance. Also replaced front sight to one with a bead instead of flat blade.
I find this very easy to use and much better than open sights for my old decrepit eyesight
Attachments
IMG_1604.jpg
IMG_1604.jpg (647.83 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
IMG_1603.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg (348.46 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg (517.64 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by N.Field » 30 Sep 2022, 5:15 pm

yoshie wrote:I put a Skinner peep on mine, I'd take a photo but it currently has a Pic rail on it with a red dot.

For my old eyes the Skinner is too far forward for any sort of clarity . . I need the peep up close. I could go for a tang mounted Marbles but would like to use this one since I have it on hand.

Did you need to change the front sight for the Skinner?
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by N.Field » 30 Sep 2022, 5:23 pm

Over The Hill wrote:Not a Rossi but I have a lyman sight on my Chiappa 92. Not sure if the screw spacing is the same tho. This model sight requires exact spacing for the screws however there are some types that have slotted holes allowing for some variance. Also replaced front sight to one with a bead instead of flat blade.
I find this very easy to use and much better than open sights for my old decrepit eyesight

My Winchester 92 wears a Marbles tang sight which is very similar to your Lyman. I removed the bead front sight and replaced it with a flat topped blade that I prefer and I'd do that with the Rossi once I know the required height.

The Rossi carbine needs drilling and tapping of a second hole for a tang sight, unlike the Chiappa which is true to to the original 92s.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 30 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

N.Field wrote:
yoshie wrote:I put a Skinner peep on mine, I'd take a photo but it currently has a Pic rail on it with a red dot.

For my old eyes the Skinner is too far forward for any sort of clarity . . I need the peep up close. I could go for a tang mounted Marbles but would like to use this one since I have it on hand.

Stevesgunz has a peep sight that replaces the safety if your Rossi has one. Mixed reports about quality of the fitment (although can be fixed with some work), but the peep is well made by Skinnersights, the adaptor by Stevesgunz which is the issue.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=10

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 30 Sep 2022, 6:43 pm

Fionn wrote:
N.Field wrote:

Stevesgunz has a peep sight that replaces the safety if your Rossi has one. Mixed reports about quality of the fitment (although can be fixed with some work), but the peep is well made by Skinnersights, the adaptor by Stevesgunz which is the issue.

https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=10

Yes, I've seen these and the reviews on various forums. The gun does have the safely but I'd prefer to leave it as it is, particularly as I have the XS on hand.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 01 Oct 2022, 6:34 am

N.Field wrote:

I did buy a front sight to go with it, I'm not sure what hight but it was noticeably taller
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Scopes, sights and optics