Red dot or similar for lever action

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Red dot or similar for lever action

Post by bradley33 » 14 Oct 2022, 10:53 pm

gents, any recommendations for a red dot on a chiappa 92 with after market rail. Im not after top end like aimpoint dollars, but not after bottom of the barrel either. Pigs to 100m is the goal. Also wondered the pros or cons of those little holo sights instead?
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: Red dot or similar for lever action

Post by wanneroo » 15 Oct 2022, 1:26 am

The Sig Sauer Romeo 5 works fine for the price and is very durable and battery friendly. I use mine to shoot out to 100. The Holosun equivalent apparently works fine too. For my cheaper plinker type rifles these do what I need to for the price.

Overall I like the EOTech. They are long lasting and durable and have a better sharper reticle.

One I want to try is the Trijicon MRO. More adjustable than the Romeo 5 with a better dot but more money.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bradley33 » 15 Oct 2022, 1:50 am

Thankyou I will google all the ones you mentioned
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bigpete » 15 Oct 2022, 6:37 am

I've got a konus on my 358w,its not too bad,definitely holds zero but the dot can be a little " flarey ". Mines actually a reflex sight.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 15 Oct 2022, 7:43 am

Burris RT1, these are on sale ATM for $249. I was using my brothers aimpoint recently in the NT and it's nice but 900 ain't cheap. I rate the burris as pretty close in performance and it has a forever warranty.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 15 Oct 2022, 9:23 am

I put a Bushnell red dot on my lever action, (from the big shop at Margate) it I can't seem to find it on their website at the moment, it was about $180) it works well enough. I've since put a Vortex Venom on a pistol and I'm really impressed with it. It'll set you back around $500.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2022, 12:21 pm

bradley33 wrote:gents, any recommendations for a red dot on a chiappa 92 with after market rail. Im not after top end like aimpoint dollars, but not after bottom of the barrel either. Pigs to 100m is the goal. Also wondered the pros or cons of those little holo sights instead?

I use the $40 Chinese ones and they work fine. The holo is a little more compact but I prefer it over the dot. Both have the same drawbacks, they need a battery, they need to be turned on when you need it, and if the lenses get water on them they're pretty useless. With a QD mount on a pic rail you can carry the optic in your pocket when not needed, and a spare already zeroed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bradley33 » 15 Oct 2022, 3:29 pm

how do you find the light transmission bladeracer. I looked through a couple of cheapo red dots in a store, 'artic fox' I think. My eyesight is not great long distance, noticed the sight picture of stuff outside was darker when viewed through the red dot. Both eyes open lightened it a lot. Wondered if there is a difference in clarity as the price increases for these things.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bigpete » 15 Oct 2022, 3:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bradley33 wrote:gents, any recommendations for a red dot on a chiappa 92 with after market rail. Im not after top end like aimpoint dollars, but not after bottom of the barrel either. Pigs to 100m is the goal. Also wondered the pros or cons of those little holo sights instead?

I use the $40 Chinese ones and they work fine. The holo is a little more compact but I prefer it over the dot. Both have the same drawbacks, they need a battery, they need to be turned on when you need it, and if the lenses get water on them they're pretty useless. With a QD mount on a pic rail you can carry the optic in your pocket when not needed, and a spare already zeroed.

I've owned 3 of those Chinese ones and they are all in the rubbish bin. Either can't see through them or they fell apart....literally fell apart.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2022, 4:30 pm

bradley33 wrote:how do you find the light transmission bladeracer. I looked through a couple of cheapo red dots in a store, 'artic fox' I think. My eyesight is not great long distance, noticed the sight picture of stuff outside was darker when viewed through the red dot. Both eyes open lightened it a lot. Wondered if there is a difference in clarity as the price increases for these things.

I haven't had any issue with them but I don't use them much, they're more of a back-up to iron sights or a scope. If you're shooting pigs in paddocks they'd probably be alright, but in shadows you'll struggle at 100m I reckon, even without the optic. I think you'd do better with a variable optic, 1-6x24 for example. Get one with an illuminated reticle, like the Vortex Strike Eagle and it'll be about the same as a dot but with magnification.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 15 Oct 2022, 5:34 pm

yoshie wrote:I put a Bushnell red dot on my lever action, (from the big shop at Margate) it I can't seem to find it on their website at the moment, it was about $180) it works well enough. I've since put a Vortex Venom on a pistol and I'm really impressed with it. It'll set you back around $500.
Attachments
20221015_173045.jpg
20221015_173045.jpg (266.96 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Biscuits » 15 Oct 2022, 6:21 pm

I’d chuck a bit of money at it, even if not Aimpoint levels of money. I bought a Delta (not the Polish Delta who make excellent scopes, but some Japanese brand also called Delta) for about $200 for a 357 Marlin.

It’s supposed to have 0.5 MoA clicks for adjustment. I don’t know what they are, but they are not 0.5 MoA. With the amount of .357 ammo I’ve wasted zeroing it, I could have just bought a better optic.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bradley33 » 15 Oct 2022, 7:29 pm

Yeah the reduction in light transmission in the cheapos is what suprised me the most. I will try and get my hands on a bushnell, romeo 5, holosun, and aimpoint as a suggested in a big store to compare.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bradley33 » 15 Oct 2022, 7:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bradley33 wrote:how do you find the light transmission bladeracer. I looked through a couple of cheapo red dots in a store, 'artic fox' I think. My eyesight is not great long distance, noticed the sight picture of stuff outside was darker when viewed through the red dot. Both eyes open lightened it a lot. Wondered if there is a difference in clarity as the price increases for these things.

I haven't had any issue with them but I don't use them much, they're more of a back-up to iron sights or a scope. If you're shooting pigs in paddocks they'd probably be alright, but in shadows you'll struggle at 100m I reckon, even without the optic. I think you'd do better with a variable optic, 1-6x24 for example. Get one with an illuminated reticle, like the Vortex Strike Eagle and it'll be about the same as a dot but with magnification.

Have to mount forward of the reciever as its top eject, so prefer a red dot.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Mountlowcustoms » 16 Oct 2022, 4:09 pm

I'm running trs 25s on both my leveries, I'm happy with them.
Mountlowcustoms
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2022, 5:46 pm

bradley33 wrote:Have to mount forward of the receiver as its top eject, so prefer a red dot.

Yeah, I've got a 2-7x32 Scout on my Rossi at the moment. It came with a red dot though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 16 Oct 2022, 8:05 pm

I have the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 on my Rossi 92 with a skinner rail, its a great match for the Rossi. I like the auto wake/sleep function of it.

I also have a Bushnell tr25 on a another rifle, but the dot is slightly bigger and I find that it star bursts more than the Sig.

Just be aware red dots don't work well if you have astigmatism.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bradley33 » 17 Oct 2022, 12:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bradley33 wrote:Have to mount forward of the receiver as its top eject, so prefer a red dot.

Yeah, I've got a 2-7x32 Scout on my Rossi at the moment. It came with a red dot though.

how do you find the scope with that long eye relief, easy to get a sight picture etc?
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2022, 4:17 pm

bradley33 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

how do you find the scope with that long eye relief, easy to get a sight picture etc?

Yes, there's no real issue with using it, but for me I still tend to want to look around this lump hanging off the barrel :-)
I don't find it as natural as a conventional scope, but that's probably just an issue of spending more time with it. I doubt I would ever use it in the field but it's great for shooting off a bench and just having some fun. I think you really need to try it for yourself and see if it works for you. Main purpose is for load development to remove my eyesight from the group testing.

With top eject you can still mount a conventional scope offset to the side to clear the ejection port.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by thunderbird » 11 Nov 2022, 7:50 pm

1-4x LPVO could be another option
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Nov 2022, 9:21 pm

I tried a Bushnell red / green dot for close up work but found that in low light, reflection on lense made it very difficult to see through.
It was useless at night.
In good lighting it was really good to use.

If I ever get another I'll be getting something decent.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics