Will an old Nikki Stirling Tiara 4x28 be destroyed by 308?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Will an old Nikki Stirling Tiara 4x28 be destroyed by 30

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Nov 2022, 7:17 am

A lot of work to go through for a very ordinary scope that might let you down. Drop past my place and I will loan you a fixed power Leupold. Had them for years and are pretty reliable.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 05 Nov 2022, 7:51 am

northdude wrote:Springer air rifles will destroy the best of scopes in short time even the expensive ones that arent rated

True .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Nov 2022, 5:28 pm

JohnV wrote:
northdude wrote:Springer air rifles will destroy the best of scopes in short time even the expensive ones that arent rated

True .

Maybe some "experts" on how scopes are built can chime in and verify one way or another what I say,, ?

I believe that the recoil protection built into scopes that are specifically intended for use on Springer Air Rifles is different/opposite to that of "ordinary" scopes that are intended for rimfire or center fire rifles.
Which is primarily the reason of failure when an "ordinary" scope is used on a Springer Air Rifle.

I reckon Blade could most likely know how the recoil of springer air rifles differ from conventional rifles.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Nov 2022, 7:22 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
JohnV wrote:

True .

Maybe some "experts" on how scopes are built can chime in and verify one way or another what I say,, ?

I believe that the recoil protection built into scopes that are specifically intended for use on Springer Air Rifles is different/opposite to that of "ordinary" scopes that are intended for rimfire or center fire rifles.
Which is primarily the reason of failure when an "ordinary" scope is used on a Springer Air Rifle.

I reckon Blade could most likely know how the recoil of springer air rifles differ from conventional rifles.

Can it be inferred from the above, that an air rifle scope would have a longer, more reliable life on a centrefire, than an ordinary scope meant for centrefires, because of the built in recoil protection?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Nov 2022, 7:44 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
JohnV wrote:

True .

Can it be inferred from the above, that an air rifle scope would have a longer, more reliable life on a centrefire, than an ordinary scope meant for centrefires, because of the built in recoil protection?

I don't think it works that way cos it is still opposite to the recoil it's intended for.
Besides I've never had first hand experience in this and have never heard of anyone trying a dedicated Air Rifle scope on a center fire rifle. :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Nov 2022, 7:57 pm

SCJ429 wrote:A lot of work to go through for a very ordinary scope that might let you down. Drop past my place and I will loan you a fixed power Leupold. Had them for years and are pretty reliable.

Can’t be more than 4x and also fixed power. Don’t worry I have backups. I also enjoy this stuff don’t worry.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 05 Nov 2022, 10:23 pm

One of the few areas I am not very knowledgeable on is the construction details inside of scopes . I am good a breaking them but not fixing them .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Nov 2022, 9:32 am

Thanks for that, Die Judicii. Sounds like it makes sense too.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by northdude » 06 Nov 2022, 2:15 pm

I'm running 6 airgun rated scopes on my centerfires the first ones were put on 25+ years ago and are still perfectly fine, That's just my real world experience with them anyway
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Nov 2022, 8:23 pm

I wonder if big bores are harder on scopes than air rifles.........
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 07 Nov 2022, 6:40 am

SCJ429 wrote:I wonder if big bores are harder on scopes than air rifles.........

Even a heavy recoiling centerfire only exerts an acceleration force essentially in one predictable direction. So the scope can be designed to cope.
Even though the forces involved are orders of magnitude less a spring powered air rifle vibrates in all sorts of directions and tends to vibrate loose anything that is not locked down tight.
By the way the Nikko scopes in the pictures are not so called "air rifle scopes".
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 07 Nov 2022, 7:55 am

I have had a new scopes reticule break just sitting in it's box , never mounted . The older style wire reticules were prone to sudden failure . The newer etched on glass are much sturdier . Had a Hako scope once where the ocular lens just fell out while I was shooting . Once I started buying better quality Leupold and Kahles scopes had far less trouble but I have had to send one Leupold scope back 3 times no less. They just could not see the optical fault eventually a guy at Leupold said I am a shooter and I will take your scope to the range . Sure enough got an email that just said this scopes optics is unacceptable and sending you a new scope . I think their scope repair lab was run by Stevie Wonder in those days lol. A famous BR shooter once said , " I don't search that much for accurate guns I search a lot for accurate scopes " . I have also sent back one Vortex scope and they replaced it no problems .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 07 Nov 2022, 2:50 pm

straightshooter wrote:By the way the Nikko scopes in the pictures are not so called "air rifle scopes".

I was wondering whether the statement before about "springer scopes" was gospel, insinuation, or simply a digression... thanks for the clarification. I ran a old Gold Crown on my 30/30 for years, and never had any troubles.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Nov 2022, 6:41 pm

straightshooter wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I wonder if big bores are harder on scopes than air rifles.........

Even a heavy recoiling centerfire only exerts an acceleration force essentially in one predictable direction. So the scope can be designed to cope.
Even though the forces involved are orders of magnitude less a spring powered air rifle vibrates in all sorts of directions and tends to vibrate loose anything that is not locked down tight.
By the way the Nikko scopes in the pictures are not so called "air rifle scopes".

But air rifle exert force in one predictable direction and the force is only a fraction of what is produced by a 505 Gibbs, for example. I have never seen a air rifle wrenched out of the hands of a shooter. I think the failure of scopes mounted on air rifles may be largely due to the poor quality scopes mounted on them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics