first thermal setup to get

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

first thermal setup to get

Post by bradley33 » 02 Nov 2022, 8:50 pm

deleted
Last edited by bradley33 on 03 Nov 2022, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: first thermal setup to get

Post by scoot » 02 Nov 2022, 10:13 pm

You'll likely get a thousand different responses but I'll give you my limited interpretation anyway.
Digital NV is fine, and much cheaper than thermal. It tends to give a more detailed image (black and white) because you're essentially looking through a camera. Thermal is relying on different heat signatures to develope its image so the more you pay the better "picture" you will get. Nv is restricted by its available light and hence aftermarket illuminators. Thermal is restricted by its components, again more money gets you more. Where it absolutely smokes NV is in detection. If there's something out there, even cheap Thermal will pick it up. Under nv animals can tend to camouflage with their surroundings better than during daylight. You tend to rely on movement, eye shine or silhouette to spot game.
So what do you buy. It reeeaaaalllyy depends on what where and how you intend to use it. I love Thermal and will advocate for it but not everyone wants or needs to buy it. If you do everyone will tell you to spend as much as you can. Once you have a rough budget in mind you can narrow your choices by intended use. Base magnification is important. This and resolution will help short-list some units. Then a lot is down to features, function, battery, etc
Scanners are almost essential. Even if it's not your first purchase you WILL end up with one. So much easier and more practical than using a scope to scan. Good news is there are some great units around and they are "generally" much cheaper than the cost of a great scope. Would recommend one with lrf.
If it's possible try and look through some at night in a real use scenario. Believe me I know this can be hard but it's worth it if you can. Looking in the shop during the day in the city gives a false idea of reality. If you are remotely interested in thermal I would tend to say look at spending at least around $4k+ or you may be disappointed and "upgrading".
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Nov 2022, 10:27 pm

I thought you woulda known all this already,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But here goes,,,,,,,,

Thermal = Way better than NV

Don't be a cheap skate,, Buy once and cry once.
And be prepared to part with a minimum of $6,000 if you want to start out at the beginning of reliable and fully rewarding thermal.

And,,,,, I have a mental picture of you stumbling around in the dark alternating between squinting thru a monocular and then scaring the beejesus out of any quarry that may still be in the vicinity,,,,,,,,,,,, by flicking on a battery pack spotlight,,,,,, all the while unslinging a rifle off yer back hopefully in time for a Texas heart shot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh,,,,,,,,,, I groan at the thought of all that weight and fumbling. :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 02 Nov 2022, 11:28 pm

What are you shooting, what is the range and what is your budget?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Nov 2022, 5:40 am

Mate my only advice is to buy the best you can straight up. As Die Judicii said, but once cry once. I splashed out on an expensive thermal scope and it is an absolute cracker. Eventually I also purchased a monocular however went for the cheaper option, which works ok however I wished I got the better one.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Nov 2022, 6:10 am

Poor man pays twice.

Definitely save your money and get something decent to avoid paying twice.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 03 Nov 2022, 7:43 am

Lol, some people worry about the price of ammo then advise splashing north of 6k when they don't even know his requirements.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Nov 2022, 9:12 am

mchughcb wrote:Lol, some people worry about the price of ammo then advise splashing north of 6k when they don't even know his requirements.

His requirements are obvious rifle mounted thermal scope. :thumbsup:

Ammo complaints
That's because we know what we're getting when we buy powder, primers, projectiles and when the price goes up while quality remains the same people get annoyed.
But when you fork out $2000 for an entry level NV scope and quickly discover its a massive POS you've literally thrown your money in the bin.
I'd rather wait and buy something decent, I've been burnt on "entry level" crap way too many times.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by niteowl » 03 Nov 2022, 4:56 pm

Yes, thermal is FAR better than "NV". Your question is something that cannot be answered simply. Entry level stuff is no better than toys you buy the kids for Xmas so they can play 007 in the back yard.

So, if you get something basic, you WILL find out very quickly that you need a lot better.
Now "spotting things at a couple of hundred yards" means what? You just know something is there, or you know what it is you are looking at?
To ID it could very hard at that distance, especially not knowing what you are looking for.
Basically everything said by others is about right, you need to spend bigger money first up or you will be "down" your first purchase price for ever.
I have watched with interest all the Chinese stuff coming on the market, some does seem to be OK, but having every Chinese manufacturer trying to convince me their product is military spec. equipment :roll: , I have not yet been convinced there one that I would use myself or sell to someone, but that is a separate subject.
As above, unfortunately a question like yours cannot be answered simply here.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bradley33 » 03 Nov 2022, 7:11 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I thought you woulda known all this already,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But here goes,,,,,,,,

Thermal = Way better than NV

Don't be a cheap skate,, Buy once and cry once.
And be prepared to part with a minimum of $6,000 if you want to start out at the beginning of reliable and fully rewarding thermal.

And,,,,, I have a mental picture of you stumbling around in the dark alternating between squinting thru a monocular and then scaring the beejesus out of any quarry that may still be in the vicinity,,,,,,,,,,,, by flicking on a battery pack spotlight,,,,,, all the while unslinging a rifle off yer back hopefully in time for a Texas heart shot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh,,,,,,,,,, I groan at the thought of all that weight and fumbling. :drinks:

Mate I think posting takes a lot out of you to be honest
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bradley33 » 03 Nov 2022, 7:17 pm

I think its time for me to get back to aus hunting net actually. They were right about this forum, almost dead, some good info to be had but snark and fights too many threads. Thanks to the fellas who Pm'd me btw, much appreciated, see you back on aus hunting.
bradley33
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 7:19 pm

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Wyliecoyote » 03 Nov 2022, 8:34 pm

Once you go thermal, you never go back. I agree with what most have said about saving your coin and getting something really worthwhile. I do have one caviat to that only because i have first hand experience with these that were purchased initially for use on 22lrs. As an entry level thermal if you could find one i would say NightTech MS 30. Yes i know they are no longer made and Cleavers sold a truck load of them for $1300. About 30% of their original price. Outstanding value for money, no bells and whistles, just start up and shoot. When not on the rifle they make an outstanding monocular.
Now to what you more likely can find. The new NightTech MS 25 is the pick hands down. It has basic start and shoot, no clutter and most importantly has the widest field of view of many upper end units at over 14 degrees. It has a more than adequate detection range that is realistic and not overhyped like some units i own. I have no doubt the MS 35 and 42R are good units but the field of view kills them. The MS 42 is really far too narrow on base magnification where it certainly is usable but painful where a monocular would be required in my view. This is very important for field use on running game and observing around your animal before and once the shot is taken. The magnification zoom does not pixelate anywhere near as bad as some of the more expensive brands do and is well beyond in performance of the discontinued MS 30 in this area. Battery life is excellent where i find i get beyond the 4 hours claimed. The cantilever mount is very functional and the QD does retain zero ONCE you set it up properly.
I have multiple thermals on rifles and multiple thermals in their boxes collecting dust. The most used is the NightTech because it is super light, never has any dramas and just performs. Actually i have two, the other is used as a monocular. If there is one downside, it's the start up time. That is one thing i would like to see improved. They retail under $3K which in the current market is very good considering i own units well over that that are not as good to use.
Below is their site that shows the data on each model. The MS 25 has by far the best magnification base at 1.5 with 14.9 degrees field of view. Once you find game, upping magnification is easy, widening your field of view is impossible with the other models. For hunting in the field at night this is everything and why i went with one solely as a monocular.

https://www.night-tech.com/thermal-mini-sight/
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Nov 2022, 9:21 pm

bradley33 wrote:I think its time for me to get back to aus hunting net actually. They were right about this forum, almost dead, some good info to be had but snark and fights too many threads. Thanks to the fellas who Pm'd me btw, much appreciated, see you back on aus hunting.

That's what they call shopping for the answers you're looking for.
Enjoy your cheap eBay junk :lol:

Iv got a cupboard full of the s**t that I wouldn't inflict my worst enemy, some of it's from the big name manufacturers like Bushnell :thumbsup:

Say g'day to the NSC lads on AHN for me.
I miss their tantrums here. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2022, 9:33 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Enjoy your cheap eBay junk :lol:
:thumbsup:

That was very thinly veiled Mate,, LOL
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics