Schmidt & Bender's

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Schmidt & Bender's

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Nov 2022, 5:02 pm

I have thus far never owned nor looked through a Schmidt & Bender scope although I've been curious about them a while now.

Are there any members here that own one/some,, and in looking back over the years,, has this brand taken a nose dive in quality over recent years ?
Or, are they really good, and worth spending some $$$ on ? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Schmidt & Bender's

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Nov 2022, 5:12 pm

They are very good, but worth the price? Perhaps if looking for good groups at 1000m, absolute 1 shot hits at 800m in all weather. But there are a number of scopes that will do that at much cheaper prices like Leupold, Kahles, Nightforce, March etc. I only shoot comps out to a max of 500m these days, my Kahles 6x42 is fine for this. I had a S&B on the Omark for 1000yd and swapped it for 2 Nightforce when I stopped long range, clarity in all mentioned as well as the Bushnell 10x I also use is good.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Nov 2022, 5:46 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:They are very good, but worth the price? Perhaps if looking for good groups at 1000m, absolute 1 shot hits at 800m in all weather. But there are a number of scopes that will do that at much cheaper prices like Leupold, Kahles, Nightforce, March etc. I only shoot comps out to a max of 500m these days, my Kahles 6x42 is fine for this. I had a S&B on the Omark for 1000yd and swapped it for 2 Nightforce when I stopped long range, clarity in all mentioned as well as the Bushnell 10x I also use is good.

:wtf: From my past experiences involving Bushnell,,,,,,,, I would say you should wash your mouth out with soap and then rinse with Power Kero.
:lol: The word "Bushnell" should NEVER be associated nor used in conjunction with the likes of Kahles, Nightforce, March etc.
Surely the Scope Gods will strike you down for such blasphemy.

However,,,,,,,,,,, thanks Mate.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 28 Nov 2022, 8:10 pm

No idea. I've used one on a double rifle that I regulated and it was good glass. In the ranks of my swaros and zeiss. The unit I was using was a 1-4x25 with a CD reticle.
There are some nice cheaper 8x56 made in hungary units getting about. I'd have no hesitation buying one.
https://usedguns.com.au/gun/293879/
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 28 Nov 2022, 9:21 pm

Accuracy International recommends them for use on their sniper rifles.

I've always wondered if they warranted the price tag.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Peterwho » 28 Nov 2022, 10:25 pm

I have the 8x56 klassic and love it. It is superb for spotlighting. Currently sits on a 243. I wouldn’t say their quality has declined but more that competitors have caught up and in some cases surpassed them. There are also cheaper competitors that are very close in quality. IMO Meopta is a case in point.
Regards Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 29 Nov 2022, 3:55 am

I haven’t played with s&b scopes , but Swarovski are really good. I can say in my opinion the current vx3 HD loopys are a let down ,their the new base line vx3, and they don’t compare in quality to my vx3i in clarity and build quality. You have to get a vx5 to get the same level of scope as the old vx3i . But vx5’s are up close to 2k, so if you want that level of scope Swarovski are better by comparison I spose . I’ll be keeping my older vx3 loopys, they should last me the next 30 years
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Nov 2022, 12:41 pm

Peterwho wrote:I have the 8x56 klassic and love it. It is superb for spotlighting. Currently sits on a 243. I wouldn’t say their quality has declined but more that competitors have caught up and in some cases surpassed them. There are also cheaper competitors that are very close in quality. IMO Meopta is a case in point.
Regards Peter

Yeah I'd be guessing you are pretty much on the money there.
I've never owned a Meopta either,, but the talk is good about them.

About 80% of my scopes are the "good older" Zeiss,,,,,,,,,, but for some reason I'm thinking I wouldn't mind picking up at least one S&B
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Nov 2022, 12:59 pm

bigrich wrote:I haven’t played with s&b scopes , but Swarovski are really good. I can say in my opinion the current vx3 HD loopys are a let down ,their the new base line vx3, and they don’t compare in quality to my vx3i in clarity and build quality. You have to get a vx5 to get the same level of scope as the old vx3i . But vx5’s are up close to 2k, so if you want that level of scope Swarovski are better by comparison I spose . I’ll be keeping my older vx3 loopys, they should last me the next 30 years

I only own one Swaro.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it,,,,, but I'm just not all that keen on it.
Besides,, its got nice fine cross hair,, good glass,, etc etc but just doesn't perform as well as the Zeiss when coupled to the Pulsar Clip On.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Nov 2022, 7:05 pm

Big statement to say S&B quality has potentially taken a nose dive, it definitely has not. Also some other companies has also started building premium optics to compete with S&B. They still offer great service and stand behind their product. I own a PM2 and it is a very nice optic, fantastic glass. I don't like the amount of effort it takes to move the elevation turrets, I end up moving them four or five clicks when I wanted only one. Great tracking and very durable.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kel » 03 Dec 2022, 7:50 am

I run a S&B PM2 on my LR rifle, it is a pleasure to use any time of the day. I'm limited to about 720m on my property these days but have used it out to 1600m.

I tun a Vortex Viper PST II on my .308 which I use out to 700m occasionally. This scope has nice features like the PM2 but its optics are simply not as good and I find myself frustrated with its clarity at times.

As for is the S&B worth it, its a personal decision. Its worth it to me as it is a pleasure to use every time. I can't speak for any other scope varieties/brands.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Biscuits » 04 Dec 2022, 12:15 am

I asked exactly this question several years ago.

I now have a S&B PMII and a Kahles 525i and two other scopes a half or a third the price of those two.

You get what you pay for, but it is diminishing returns. It probably makes more of a difference in poor conditions, eg rain or twilight. Infact I sold a mid range Vortex as I couldn’t get it to work in the rain.

I’d rate the Kahles as slightly better than the S&B, but it does have the advantage of a 56mm objective vs 50mm on the Schmidt.

Just buy it. You will be enjoying it years after you have forgotten the price. Also you occasionally get looks of awe and envy from your shooting buddies ;)
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics