Zero

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Zero

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 7:17 pm

I was going to add that the only scopes I can remember that had the 1/4" 100 Yards markings were budget price range types and that confirms it really. They were also the ones that companies sold that were Made In China if / not that makes any difference. Fairly sure many decades ago on a 22LR I had a Nikko something which wasn't too bad for a cheap Norinco Rifle but I upgraded everything to the likes of a Brno and Zeiss Scope.

Also many decades ago I had a mate that was involved with a Scope Repair Business and this story came up. From memory I think he described the internals of any Scope as being "Angular Adjustments" ie MOA but for the not so educated and save confusion they marked the dials in Linear...ie 1/4" /100 Yards. Really it makes SFA difference to daily use and it's not worth arguing about. Who cares, as long as you know how to adjust it to what you want.

The only Scope I have really not liked belonged to a mate, It was a Zeiss Duralyte the had 1/3 whatever adjustment, the rifle being used was very accurate but I could not get the scope on centre... it was either a tad left or right.. what a pain but he lives with it aiming a tad back. Glass is very good.

Bit like telling people it only takes 3 shots to set a scope to zero on target. One for a marker, second to adjust to zero and if you want a third to confirm your zero then you can adjust to a set distance to suit where you want.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 08 Dec 2022, 7:19 pm

No Blade, the "Bushnell" doesn't have resettable zero and has sticky turrets to boot, so I've not used it.
It was a freebie and worth every cent.
I haven't tried the Nikko.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 7:29 pm

[quote="bladeracer"]Thanks Laz, interesting to see. I don't suppose you ever checked them to see if they are graduated in inches or minutes?]

The difference is so small I think you would need a bit of expert gear to setup a scope on a bench to test. Even when it may come into effect at great distances then even the likes of a puff of wind is going to bugger your measurement. Spin drift, operator error etc...it's all "moot" isn't it really.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 7:44 pm

Don't know if you have seen this but this is a mate "Stuart Elliott" shooting 1,000 yards. I use the same scope but I've only shot 1,000 yards a few times other than at home where my max is 900 metres. My rifle is about half the weight (a 6.5x47Lapua). My main interest was 500 metres and the best was 5 shot groups a tad above 25mm. Great fun in varying conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qtXpoObfM

BTW... Stuart got a "Nickname BUM Shooter" because the Rifle Action Port was too short to extract the empty cases so the bolt has to be pulled all the way out the bum to extract the empty case...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 08 Dec 2022, 7:54 pm

Apollo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Thanks Laz, interesting to see. I don't suppose you ever checked them to see if they are graduated in inches or minutes?]

The difference is so small I think you would need a bit of expert gear to setup a scope on a bench to test. Even when it may come into effect at great distances then even the likes of a puff of wind is going to bugger your measurement. Spin drift, operator error etc...it's all "moot" isn't it really.

I’d never buy a scope with non-standard units like 1 inch at 100 yards. If you shoot longer range, your ballistic calculator will give you firing solutions with so many MoA. If you dial that many inches per 100 yards, you are going to miss. If you need to dial 20 MoA of elevation, you will be a full MoA off, on top of any other sources of inaccuracy.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 7:59 pm

It's not Rocket Science.

If you collect the experience it doesn't take that much to work out the difference.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 08 Dec 2022, 8:07 pm

Just to be different :thumbsup:
Attachments
Scope.jpg
Scope.jpg (360.73 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2022, 8:21 pm

animalpest wrote:Just to be different :thumbsup:

That's fine, just a tenth of a mil per click. I assume the scope is in mils rather than minutes?
What brand is it?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

What happened to all your scopes being in inches "animalpest"..???

1cm...100mm at 100 metres....Wow...

Don't like that one.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 8:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:

That's fine, just a tenth of a mil per click. I assume the scope is in mils rather than minutes?
What brand is it?

Er..... It says 1cm per click....

I'm going crazy.....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2022, 8:37 pm

Apollo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

What brand is it?

I'm going crazy.....

Yes, 1cm is a tenth of a mil at 100m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Dec 2022, 8:41 pm

Apollo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

What brand is it?

I'm going crazy.....

What part don't you get. Blade has correctly identified that it's a milrad scope, with the usual 1/10mil adjustment. Pretty farken straighforward... I suspect you are indeed going crazy.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 8:43 pm

Okay, now we have gone to MRAD...

I'm too old for this s**t....

I'll stick with my MOA Scopes thank you...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Dec 2022, 8:44 pm

in2anity wrote:
Apollo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

What brand is it?

I'm going crazy.....

What part don't you get. Blade has correctly identified that it's a milrad scope, with the usual 1/10mil adjustment. Pretty farken straighforward... I suspect you are indeed going crazy.

Well, someone said ALL his scopes were in inches..... :allegedly:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 08 Dec 2022, 9:05 pm

And so I thought! Until I pulled this sucker our of the safe and bugger me!!

:lol: :lol: :drinks:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics