Parallax settings

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Parallax settings

Post by waimo » 04 Jan 2023, 6:36 pm

Have an AO scope on my rimfire and was wondering which would be the best distance to leave it set at. Obviously it should be set at the distance that you are taking each shot at but when you are hunting alot of the time you dont have time to fiddle around with things. Rifle zeroed for 55 yards crossing the line of sight at 15 yards also . Most shots well inside 50 yards . Thanks
waimo
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: Parallax settings

Post by deye243 » 04 Jan 2023, 7:50 pm

All of my scopes have parallax adjustment centre fires for spotlighting and general hunting I always left at 200y for the quick shot and the Rimfire is always set at 75y any error is negligible not even an inch it is only when your taking precise shots at 100 200 250 with a Rimfire is about the only time I change it unless I go up in the power because walking around general hunting you won't be above 6 power anyway
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 04 Jan 2023, 10:51 pm

Fixed parallax scopes work fine for general shooting use, it's nice to have adjustable but you don't really need it, the error it fixes is less than just about everyone's shooting ability unless you are on a bench rest.

If you want to treat the scope like a cheaper model and have one less thing to worry about just set it somewhere in the middle of the range that you normally shoot at, if the targets are always in focus then you're close enough.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 05 Jan 2023, 6:40 am

waimo wrote:Have an AO scope on my rimfire and was wondering which would be the best distance to leave it set at. Obviously it should be set at the distance that you are taking each shot at but when you are hunting alot of the time you dont have time to fiddle around with things. Rifle zeroed for 55 yards crossing the line of sight at 15 yards also . Most shots well inside 50 yards . Thanks

If it worries you so much then set the parallax to 40 yards so that it is midway in the realistic hunting range of a 22 rimfire.
The reality is that anywhere in the practical rimfire hunting range the effect of parallax error is negligible compared to the accuracy of ammunition, the shape of the trajectory and one's general shooting accuracy.

Edit: I should have read the previous posts first. I have more or less said the same thing as RC42.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics