Tactacam FTS

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Tactacam FTS

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2023, 4:54 am

I _finally_ received my Tactacam FTS yesterday. It's actually two parts, a bullet-style camera, and a periscopic housing that mounts on the scope allowing a normal view through the scope while mirrors allow the camera to view through it as well. You can use the rifle without interference from the camera, but press a button to record when you want to.
20230207_111726b.jpg
20230207_111726b.jpg (232.15 KiB) Viewed 728 times

20230207_111649b.jpg
20230207_111649b.jpg (254.94 KiB) Viewed 728 times

20230207_111638b.jpg
20230207_111638b.jpg (237.06 KiB) Viewed 728 times

I ordered it in June. It was marked as sent but the order was cancelled without notifying me, I realised this when I started chasing it up. So I ordered it again from another seller, and again it was "sent" but then cancelled without notification. Nobody had both the FTS and the 5.0 camera in stock, so I had been ordering the FTS with the Solo camera. This time I decided to order from Ebay from two different sellers so I could get the 5.0 I wanted. The camera arrived from the US in two weeks. The FTS mount has taken two months. The tracking said that it was delivered on Jan 12th, it wasn't, so I chased them up. It couldn't be found but the tracking updated on Jan 17th to "With Last Mile Carrier", meaning it had been handed off from the original shipping company, to the Australian shipping company, and finally to my local freight company, so I got onto them. They could only tell me that they thought it must be in their driver's vehicle as they couldn't find it, but they couldn't contact him either. So I rang every two days and the tracking updated on the 3rd to "out for delivery". Four days later I had it :-)

There is no way to view anything from the camera without connecting it to a computer, and downloading the videos to watch them. Except it's supposed to Bluetooth connect to a phone or computer so you can view it, which I and a mate can't get to work so far :-) This matters as not being able to view it means you can't set the reticle to be vertical or ensure the camera is properly centred in the scope.
Screenshot 2023-02-08 040013.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-08 040013.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 728 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljTtzSrPBY
The actual video quality is not too bad I think, though the audio is difficult. It barely pics up our voices but cycling the bolt is extremely loud - this might be related to shooting off the back of the ute so I'll try prone next time.

Apart from not being able to get a Bluetooth connection there are some other issues.
First, the mount comes with seven collets to fit over different size objective housings. #7 fits over the scope but when I put the FTS on, it was actually mounted on the diopter ring, not the objective housing, so it rotated freely. I slid the #6 collet over past the diopter ring, then mounted the FTS to that to get a secure grip.
The camera sits very close along the side of the objective housing for compactness, meaning I had to remove the throw-down lever, though I can still use the zoom ring without too much trouble.
The FTS mounts to the scope with two socket-head screws, and the camera mounts to it with another socket-head screw, so you need to have an allen key with you if you want to be able to adjust or remove it. Otherwise you have to have the rifle beside you while you connect to the computer to download the video and recharge the battery. I've found Bluetooth very slow for transferring 128Gb of data but that might be an option if I can get it to work.
The Ruger Precision Rimfire only fits in one rifle case I have, but with the FTS mounted it no longer fits in that one either.
And perhaps the most important, it does sit back behind the scope a little way so it's definitely possible on something that recoils that it could smack you in the face. Hopefully I keep that in mind when I try it on some centrefires.

As for usage, it only has two buttons. Press button one to turn it on and it should begin recording immediately, it doesn't always, and when it does it takes a few seconds to get going - but it is recording at 4K so that's acceptable I think. But the button has been random for me so far, turning it on doesn't always start it recording, and pressing the button to start it doesn't always start it recording either - the button flashes when it's recording. Pressing the button a second time pauses the record. And holding the button for five seconds turns the camera off.

The battery is proprietary and is only held in by the removable end cap, which you have to remove to charge it, meaning the battery is just floating in contact with the camera during charging - you really need to have it stood vertically I think for reliable charging. As the camera has a Bluetooth connection it does drain battery power when not in use, but it has no off switch to isolate the battery so you need to remove the cap and remove the battery when you aren't using it, a great way to lose vital parts.

The second button does a few things. When the camera is paused, pressing button two once cycles to 2.7K 8-power zoom rather than the standard 3-power. Pressing it again cycles to 1080p 3-power slow-motion 120fps. And again cycles it back to the standard 4K 30fps 3-power recording mode. I haven't messed with these yet. Holding button number two for three seconds starts the Bluetooth handshake sequence - the blue light flashes but so far it doesn't work. When the camera is recording, button number one flashes, so pressing button number two turns off the lights.

Apparently connecting to the app on the phone allows further setting adjustments but those aren't available to me so far.
The video files are around 350Mb per minute. For this test I used a 16Gb card I had handy but the camera only recorded 10Gb before it started buzzing and flashing, which should be indicating that the card is full. It gave me just over 29 minutes of video but the battery still seemed to be near fully charged so I'm hoping it'll fill a 128Gb card on a single charge - about six hours worth.

It is also possible to mount the camera without the FTS (though it won't record your sight picture which is what I want from it), so I'll try that as well.

The actual shooting was at 125mm gongs at 117m, 141m, 167m, 184m, and 217m and 150mm gongs at 234m and 248m. Hopefully I can get the Bluetooth working next time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Tactacam FTS

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 8:48 am

That gear is above my skill set so I will leave it to you to work out but looks interesting . So what will you be filming through the scope for 6 hours ?
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics