How to mount scope so reticles are level with action

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

How to mount scope so reticles are level with action

Post by ployer » 13 May 2014, 9:45 am

Hi guys,

After some advice on your scope mounting techniques to get the reticle lined up straight.

I re-mounted mine last night. Took me forever to get the reticle right.

Put it on and it was a fraction rotated to the left. Turned right a bit to much. left, right, left right..... Aaaages!

Am I being too fussy? Do you guys bother to get your reticle perfectly straight?

Or what's the trick I'm missing to do it quickly?
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: How to mount scope so reticles are level with action

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 May 2014, 10:50 am

I bought a set of levels made by wheeler. Cost around $20 if i remember correctly. One goes in your action and the other sits on top of your scope. When both are level so is your reticle
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 13 May 2014, 11:53 am

Having a gun vice or stable rest along with a spirit level is the easiest way

I use an MTM one but there are many different ones and they make cleaning easy too.

Stanley make a small magnetic level that's around 3" long and I sit this on a piece if flat steel and slide it between the scope and the action and level the action in the vice. Then I sit the leven on the elevation turret and rotate the scope till its level, I always recheck the action and the scope.

Then I nip up the rings and shoulder the rifle to check eye relief. It it's a target gun likely to be shot off a bipod or rest I usually test it to see if its correct on the bipod.

For a gun I shoot standing or sitting I often adjust the scope so that the reticle is level in a comfortable position, my centerfire metallic silhouette gun was always set up with a little cant as it looked level in my normal standing position.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 13 May 2014, 12:04 pm

Chronos wrote:Having a gun vice or stable rest along with a spirit level is the easiest way

I do mine with a spirit level also.

Put your rifle in a rest and get it straight with the level. Gently lower the scope on and do the same.

Just needs a bit of a soft touch, no real 'trick' to it.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by ployer » 13 May 2014, 10:14 pm

Spirit level eh.

Hadn't thought of that. I have one I think will be small enough. It's 20cm or something...

Will try it out next time around.

Cheers.
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Stevo » 14 May 2014, 1:07 am

Here's my pic of how I did my T3 and some others before, simple, quick and works easy as long as the action is flat on top or you have a rail to work off.

Steve-Level-Scope-web.jpg
Steve-Level-Scope-web.jpg (298.04 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
Hunting ain't no catch and release sport.

Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless 1:8" .223
CZ 452 American .22LR
Sportco Model 33 .222

and some...
Stevo
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by disko » 14 May 2014, 11:27 am

Pro photo examples there Stevo :D
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ployer » 14 May 2014, 11:27 am

Yeah, cheers mate.
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sha » 14 May 2014, 11:28 am

Arrows for dummies :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 14 May 2014, 12:10 pm

There is an old CZ452 kicking around the family that everyone uses on and off, every time I have a go with it I think "I must get that scope level one day" it has only been 11 years so far.........................................
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Kipper » 14 May 2014, 1:11 pm

ployer wrote:Am I being too fussy? Do you guys bother to get your reticle perfectly straight?

Yes and no. Depends on the shooting to be done.

If it's for a casual hunting rifle, short-med range, all you really need is the crosshair.

If you're using any holdover marks like mil-dot etc. to just distance, windage adjustment etc. it will effect the outcome.

Stick to windage for a second, with the reticle rotated slightly the space from your left to right is less than if it was flat. Might only be a few percent but over distance it will add up.

Depeneds what you're doing and how demanding of accuracy you are being.

Might as well get it right though ;)
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Walt68 » 31 May 2014, 3:45 pm

Buy a scope leveling tool for $30' most gun shops have them.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Herdsman » 02 Jun 2014, 9:15 pm

Sort of related... You can buy clamp on tube spirit levels. Good if you have to take the scope off for reseating and for getting flat when shooting.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Jul 2014, 10:43 pm

ployer wrote:Hi guys,

After some advice on your scope mounting techniques to get the reticle lined up straight.

I re-mounted mine last night. Took me forever to get the reticle right.

Put it on and it was a fraction rotated to the left. Turned right a bit to much. left, right, left right..... Aaaages!

Am I being too fussy? Do you guys bother to get your reticle perfectly straight?

Hi, By your very descriptive saga, I'd venture to say the answer is simple, "Get someone to do it for you while you watch and learn" :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 02 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm

ployer wrote:Put it on and it was a fraction rotated to the left. Turned right a bit to much. left, right, left right..... Aaaages!

I've done the same. OCD :lol:

A spirit level really speeds up the process, that's how I did mine last time (doing it that way for the first time) and it took 1/10th of the time to get it perfect.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Mark TAC » 03 Jul 2014, 12:09 am

Yes to much of the above. I use a small bubble level on a flat bar, placed across top of action (a flat part obviously!!!) and then on turret caps.

But after you do all that, then go and check the level of your rifle when shooting. It won't be!!! I think it is over-rated as a visibly rotated scope will maybe result in a couple of inches of windage induced with elevation changes at a few hundred metres. A cow farting will do that.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Tiiger » 05 Jul 2014, 10:53 am

Mark TAC wrote:I use a small bubble level on a flat bar, placed across top of action (a flat part obviously!!!)

Oh the flat part! That's what I was doing wrong.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MrClark » 28 Sep 2014, 4:46 pm

Ive gotta straighten up the scope on one rifle, would you bother about re-zeroing straight away or whenever you can? its only out by a few degrees, and surely rotationg the scope wont shift the zero
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 28 Sep 2014, 9:11 pm

If you have an iPhone, done, use level on it, clamp rifle in vise find point to level off, I often use bottom side of rings If suits or pic. Rail take note of angle and simply match that angle off level point on scope, generally scope/turret cap sufficient, and if you are replacing an already sighted in scope have a look at my (handy tip) post before you remove old one could save some time and money
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm

The technique I use involves 2 sets of feeler gauges and a machinist's set of steel parallel plates. I mount the rings, scope and caps just firm enough to hold but loose enough so I can still rotate the scope. I place the parallel under the centre of the scope on the rail then using the feeler gauges I set the gap each side to be equal and gradually torque the caps down. I use thinner and thinner feelers till I get the correct torque of 18in lbs per bolt. I find this works extremely well with the Barrett Zero-Gap rings I use and is almost mandatory for ranges in excess of 1000m. A slight cant of the reticule is neither here nor there for general shooting but when winding up the elevation by 100+ clicks it can make a massive difference to windage.
Last edited by brett1868 on 29 Sep 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 29 Sep 2014, 11:27 am

Bennybigbores wrote:If you have an iPhone, done, use level on it

You reckon those level apps are that accurate?

Not having, never used one, just seemed like a gimmick compared to a trusty old spirit level for a few $?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by raptor_256 » 22 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

step 1 : mount rifle in a stable and secure position
step 2 : use bubble level to ensure rifle action is level
Step 3 : shine torch through objective lens of scope (the front one). projecting crosshairs onto a wall
step 4 : using a plumb line ( tied off string with weight on the bottom) or something you know to be square, eg door frame, line up crosshairs.
step 5 : tighten down scope and re check.

this is one of my favourite methods as you only need a torch, a small bubble level and something to hold the rifle securely
raptor_256
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Homer » 27 Aug 2016, 4:23 pm

G'Day Fella's,

FYI, I use the Horizontal Brick Course joints on a neighbors house, as an indicator of whats Horizontal!
I get the rifle in the appropriate/square position, then sight thru the scope onto the brick work.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by p3seven » 27 Aug 2016, 5:11 pm

If you are in the country. Tighten screws till scope can just be moved by hand. Shoulder or support rifle so it is level. Sight on top wire of a fence and a star picketfor the vertical. Twist scope till crosshair runs along the top wire and check the vertical runs up and down the star picket .Tighten screws.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 27 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

A good reference to use , either on its own or in tandem with your spirit levels is string. Tie a small heavy object like a nut to the end of the string and dangle it like a plumb bob. Guarranteed to be perfectly vertical. Then line up the vertical line in your scope with the string.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 27 Aug 2016, 7:46 pm

I second the motion on the Wheeler Level Level Level. It worked a treat to ensure the rifle was dead on level (as scope turrets or fastened rails aren't always level).
(firstly making sure the level that sits on the action rails, shows spot on with it's bubble when placed flat on a tested level surface.
(Used a spirit level in a vice with soft jaws, level up the spirit level, then used another spirit level to ensure that was level (overkill), then placed the Wheeler action rail level on the known level spirit level, tested to be spot on).
Then go to work clamping the rifle in whatever vice with the Wheeler action rail level in place. Works a treat. Then go to work aligning the scope reticle, blue tacked a4 paper to the wall, used spirit level to draw straight line in black texta on the paper.
then align vertical reticle with the line, double checked with pre conformed edge of wall that the paper was on.
Hanging the plumb would work perfectly for the aligning the vertical reticle also.
that way you have your action spot on, and then your reticle spot on to the action.
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by AusTac » 28 Aug 2016, 2:35 pm

I've always just nipped up the scope rings, and got a vertical point, door, wall edging fence post etc and gone off that the rifles hardly ever 100 level when being used anyway
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Aug 2016, 10:39 pm

I eyeball it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 29 Aug 2016, 11:31 pm

Slightly off topic but similar....Shot metallic silhouette pistol (practise) tonight at St Marys and for the 3rd time the friggen scope rail came loose. I've tried both medium and ultra Loctite and torqued the screws as far as I felt it was safe to without stripping the threads. I may need to buy another base as the screw holes in the current ones have become elongated. Was thinking to glue the base to the frame with some 5 min epoxy, I've used epoxy to glue scopes into rings but never a rail to a frame. Anyone glued bases before? anything I should consider and once glued how hard is it to remove?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Aug 2016, 12:01 am

Do It the same way as you glue an action into a stock.

Epoxy, two part. JB Weld etc.

To remove, the same way as an action. Heat..!! Like an Iron sitting on it until it softens and you can seperate the parts. Use the screws to locate but I would put release agent on the screws / threads so they are easily removed afterwards if you remove the rail.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics