Budget scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Budget scope

Post by AlHow » 06 Mar 2023, 11:58 am

Hi guys,

First up I must say I’m yet to receive my license that I have applied for mid Jan. I’ve taken the risk of purchasing a Howa 1500 stainless Sporter 22” in .308. Still at the dealer of course.

Now, I’m on a pretty tight budget, so I have considered a Vortex scope at the $400 mark. A Crossfire II 3-9 x 50 V-brite illuminated.

Are there any tested views on this scope? Any recommendations on a scope within this price range. Sorry guys but its pointless recommending that I spend more as my budget is tight as I’m out of work. Thanks for your help.

https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Product ... G%20SCOPES
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Re: Budget scope

Post by JohnV » 08 Mar 2023, 4:00 pm

Vortex make a good scope and it should serve you well . You can also go lower magnification on a 308 as it will get used as a walk about stalking rifle and say a 2 to 7 power is still quite useful . I have a 2 to 7 on my 308 and at 2 power you can swing onto running shots on pigs quite well and at 7 power take well aimed shots at 200 meters or more .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2023, 4:17 pm

JohnV wrote:Vortex make a good scope and it should serve you well . You can also go lower magnification on a 308 as it will get used as a walk about stalking rifle and say a 2 to 7 power is still quite useful . I have a 2 to 7 on my 308 and at 2 power you can swing onto running shots on pigs quite well and at 7 power take well aimed shots at 200 meters or more .

Agree.
I use 3-9×40 on all my rifles. But 2-7 will certainly improve field of view in thicker stuff.

Don't have one myself. But they have a good rep.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 09 Mar 2023, 10:07 am

I would add that if the gun has a very long barrel say 24 inch or longer then stay with the 3 to 9 power , because at two power I can just see a slight blur sometimes in the bottom of the sight picture which is the end of the 26 1/2 inch barrel . It does not harm anything but could be annoying to some . I know it's a bit strange to have a low power off hand shooting scope on a gun with a 26 1/2 inch barrel but it shot so well I was not game to cut it down any and I might screw it up .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 09 Mar 2023, 11:59 am

Just today got my Leupold 1.75 - 6x back from being repaired. Will be going back on a .308 Ruger.
The other .308 rifles all have 3-9x scopes
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 09 Mar 2023, 5:02 pm

I'm real budget when it comes to scopes. I've always had a good run out of the nikko stirlings. Bought quite a few for my rifles with the intention of replacing them when they crapped out. 30+ years later I still haven't replaced one.....never win a bragging contest down at the range with one tho
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 09 Mar 2023, 6:52 pm

northdude wrote:I'm real budget when it comes to scopes. I've always had a good run out of the nikko stirlings. Bought quite a few for my rifles with the intention of replacing them when they crapped out. 30+ years later I still haven't replaced one.....never win a bragging contest down at the range with one tho

The old ones were made in better places like Japan but the newer ones now would be made in China . However we use what we can afford at the time . I use a couple of Japanese made Tasco' s I bought in Singapore many moons ago and they have been good . One is on my Brno 22 and one is a backup scope .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 09 Mar 2023, 7:07 pm

Got a couple of japanese tascos as well. Nothing wrong with them. Just out of curiosity with your strict laws over there. Can you guys just walk into a shop and buy a rifle scope?
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 09 Mar 2023, 7:10 pm

Yes , scopes , mounts , stocks , and any accessories that is not a actual gun part .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2023, 8:25 pm

northdude wrote:Got a couple of japanese tascos as well. Nothing wrong with them. Just out of curiosity with your strict laws over there. Can you guys just walk into a shop and buy a rifle scope?

Generally yes, but each state is different. Victoria only restricts the action of the firearm, no restrictions on mags and barrels and such bits.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2023, 8:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:Got a couple of japanese tascos as well. Nothing wrong with them. Just out of curiosity with your strict laws over there. Can you guys just walk into a shop and buy a rifle scope?

Generally yes, but each state is different. Victoria only restricts the action of the firearm, no restrictions on mags and barrels and such bits.

But unlike NZ suppressor are virtually impossible to have here. Only pros can get them.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 12 Mar 2023, 3:19 pm

northdude wrote:I'm real budget when it comes to scopes. I've always had a good run out of the nikko stirlings. Bought quite a few for my rifles with the intention of replacing them when they crapped out. 30+ years later I still haven't replaced one.....never win a bragging contest down at the range with one tho

I agree got 2 nikko sterling scopes both nikko sterling diamond's both 4-16 the one I got recently lives on my 308 and it's a first focal plane illuminated reticule for $299 for a ffp scope it's excellent value
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AlHow » 25 Mar 2023, 3:53 pm

Sorry guys, I forgot I posted this.

Thanks heaps for all the replies. I get the low magnification. I wont be shooting out to too far a distance I’m sure. Would it be reasonable to think the later Nikko’s won’t be up to the standards of scopes from decades ago?

Cheers.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by JohnV » 25 Mar 2023, 5:10 pm

Forget Nikko stick with Vortex . The lifetime warranty is great even if you buy one secondhand you can send it back and they fix it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 26 Mar 2023, 4:09 am

Ive got one of the late model long range nikkos on my 6.5 06. Only shot it to 380m so far. I can see stuff clearly and I can repeatedly hit stuff with it, thats all I need in a scope. The vortex over here didnt last long. Most scope failures ive seen of any brand here
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Mar 2023, 7:20 am

I've only had one experience with nikko Stirling and it was all bad. That was a lot of years ago.

IMO anything cheaper than a Vortex is getting risky.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 26 Mar 2023, 7:29 am

Athlon are very good for the price.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by CRF » 26 Mar 2023, 2:15 pm

When I was about 21 a bloke who did and does guide all over the world said that you should spend as much on your scope as your rifle. Took me a few years after that to realise what he said was bang on.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Mar 2023, 3:12 pm

CRF wrote:When I was about 21 a bloke who did and does guide all over the world said that you should spend as much on your scope as your rifle. Took me a few years after that to realise what he said was bang on.

I have discovered the hard way he wasnt far wrong.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 26 Mar 2023, 3:14 pm

northdude wrote:Ive got one of the late model long range nikkos on my 6.5 06. Only shot it to 380m so far. I can see stuff clearly and I can repeatedly hit stuff with it, thats all I need in a scope. The vortex over here didnt last long. Most scope failures ive seen of any brand here
Strange I have had the opposite experience with Nikko Platinum and Vortex . If aVortex breaks down send it back they will fix it free except for your postage . I bought a new Vortex PST 6 to 24 and it had an almost frozen parallax knob . I sent it back they sent it back but the knob only turned easily for a while then froze again , they sent me a new scope , later model even and never asked for the old one back . I have since fixed the old scope . As far as I am concerned Vortex has a better warranty than Leupold .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics