Defective Pixel

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Defective Pixel

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2023, 9:42 pm

Some of my optics have "Defective Pixel Repair"
Question : Not knowing if I've ever had any,,, Are they really noticeable, and how big are they ?

Dr Google only says they are red or green mainly,,, but says nothing of the comparative size.
So do they really grab your attention and say I'M A DEFECTIVE PIXEL, or do they slowly and insidiously invade ?

If they are green, wouldn't they be hard to pick in thermal sights where the light is mainly green to start with ?

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Defective Pixel

Post by Ratsmitglied » 19 Apr 2023, 9:19 am

size will depend on the resolution of the scope - no different to defective pixels in an LCD monitor

So how they'll appear is most probably as a constant bright spot in the scope, or as a constant black spot where the pixel is dead

have a look at stuff on defective pixels for LCD monitors as it will be the same principle
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Defective Pixel

Post by scoot » 19 Apr 2023, 9:55 am

I've only had one defective so far (touch wood). It presented as a constantly "white" dot on the screen. Very small but very noticeable. Pixel repair function on the device I believe takes the information from all the surrounding pixels to make an educated guess at what the defective pixel should look like. Seems to work.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics