Clip on thermal

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Clip on thermal

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 04 Jun 2023, 7:37 pm

Hi all
Any recommendations for a clip on for foxing?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Clip on thermal

Post by Tilb004 » 05 Jun 2023, 1:16 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Hi all
Any recommendations for a clip on for foxing?

Ill be interested to all the gear.

Looking at the mah50 infiray , specs look good but no real action hunting footage .

For me id need something that could be clear at 200 to 250m , foxes pretty cagey where i am :D

Like the look of those thermtec ares to.
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jun 2023, 8:26 pm

Been around for a while now,,, and I've got two of em,, shoot professionally,, and cannot fault em.
Pulsar CORE FXQ 50.
But,, you've gotta have good quality daytime scope to start with.
They really shine when coupled with Zeiss scopes.
2nd hand sales of these units tell the truth,,,,,,, they only come up for sale RARELY.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 06 Jun 2023, 6:35 am

I recently bought a Nitehog Viper... to help with our wild dog control.
It clips onto the front of the scope, via a lever mount. Slides on with very close fit. I'm using it on a 1-8x scope because its what I like most for this, and it's just got a straight 30mm tube out front. Although when you get the thermal, you can get any size adaptor.
I bought it from "Going Dark" online, as we're nowhere near a city, and it came express post in 2 days!
The thing was supposed to be on-zero within 1 inch @100yds, and it damn well was. Spot on. I cannot believe this precision, but the unit is made in Germany from 100% European made gear and it shows.
Your scope just looks straight at it, and you use your scope's crosshair.
This way, during the day, I can use the best suited rifle with the scope I like, be completely familiar with it, and at night just clamp the thermal on and it sees at night.
I cannot recommend the idea, the unit, and the useability any higher.
Because it's so small and light, it doesn't have any bluetooth or video recording in it, which to a bloke like me, I'm not interested in anyway. To some, I suppose they need to record and share with everyone on social media, but not me. I just need to use the rifle to be fast, work and no distractions because the animals we have causing us drama don't hang about.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by vicfox » 19 Jun 2023, 8:03 pm

I have a Hikmicro Thunder pro 35 that has the ability to use as a clip on. This is a great thermal scope and now have 3 Hikmicro products.

As for the Thunder as a clip on. I opted for the Rusan Adapter as its IMO a better unit. Ultimately its not for me as I found it wasn't repeatable and I tried very hard. I didn't like the unbalanced weigh with the scope and add on. I had three 42mm being 2 x Zeiss scopes and a Nikon that all were able to work well just no to remove and refit while remaining accurate.

I did know of a Pulsae cripton that works well.
vicfox
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jun 2023, 8:11 pm

Wapiti wrote:I recently bought a Nitehog Viper... to help with our wild dog control.
It clips onto the front of the scope, via a lever mount. Slides on with very close fit. I'm using it on a 1-8x scope because its what I like most for this, and it's just got a straight 30mm tube out front. Although when you get the thermal, you can get any size adaptor.
I bought it from "Going Dark" online, as we're nowhere near a city, and it came express post in 2 days!
The thing was supposed to be on-zero within 1 inch @100yds, and it damn well was. Spot on. I cannot believe this precision, but the unit is made in Germany from 100% European made gear and it shows.
This way, during the day, I can use the best suited rifle with the scope I like, be completely familiar with it, and at night just clamp the thermal on and it sees at night.
Because it's so small and light, it doesn't have any bluetooth or video recording in it, which to a bloke like me, I'm not interested in anyway. To some, I suppose they need to record and share with everyone on social media, but not me. I just need to use the rifle to be fast, work and no distractions because the animals we have causing us drama don't hang about.

When you stop and think about it,,,, forward clipons are only as accurate as what your day scope is, because the only thing the clipon does is provide the
thermal vision.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 09 Jul 2023, 12:15 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Wapiti wrote:I recently bought a Nitehog Viper... to help with our wild dog control.

When you stop and think about it,,,, forward clipons are only as accurate as what your day scope is, because the only thing the clipon does is provide the
thermal vision.

But will they alter your scopes zero or not? Through weight, or reflection or something, I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking. Or will some but not others? I don’t have any thermal gear, but I’m considering a clip on type as my first. I like the idea of going from say a 223, to a 22, but if my zero changes then it would be pain, and maybe I’d be better off just picking one rifle and putting a dedicated thermal scope on it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by anotherben » 11 Jul 2023, 9:16 am

Die Judicii wrote:

thermal vision.

not really, forward clipons will give you a different point of impact as you are now shooting at a computer screen. Clip-ons needs to be calibrated and every single clip on I've tested (including the Vipers which in my opinion aren't that great for a few reasons, mainly the battery being aligned with the barrel) has a different point of impact. Some are larger than others. How the clip on is aligned will also influence its point of impact.

Here's a test I did of 3 devices about a year or so ago, need to re-do it with some of the newer ones on the market.

https://youtu.be/FKF_60iVcDA
anotherben
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 11 Jul 2023, 12:55 pm

I was not going to get into this one.
But there are some things I will mention,
(1) I personally will never use or recommend a clip on device.
(2) A clip on device can damage your day scope if it is attached to the scope and a bit heavy when the recoil is a bit harsh.
(3) A clip on device should never be attached to the scope anyway. This is difficult on sporting firearms as they do not normally have an extended rail.
(4) A genuine professional device does not require adjusting when it is not using any digital zoom and has no effect with small misalignment. Can be calibrated to do so if really required.

It is my view that you should always have a dedicated day and a night firearm.
Those people who know me will understand where I am coming from and why.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics